Pure vinyl driver seat has a hole/ tear

This HAS to be a manufacturer defect/problem. I've never in my life had seats torn like this (not even cheap fabric seats) I also don't even own jeans! I just reported this to my SA and waiting to hear back now.

Attachments

• driverseatperspective.webp
    driverseatperspective.webp
    400.5 KB · Views: 66
  • seattorn.webp
    seattorn.webp
    77.9 KB · Views: 66
  • seatissue.webp
    seatissue.webp
    623.3 KB · Views: 6,429
That bolster gets a lot of weight and rubbing from my experience. Could it be the entry and exit using that as a support point to get out given a lack of handles?

That bolster gets a lot of weight and rubbing from my experience. Could it be the entry and exit using that as a support point to get out given a lack of handles?
I'm not even remotely a heavy person-- aka not obese and happen to be female so not even as much weight as many of my male counterparts who own these cars. The rest of the seat looks new still btw. No indentations evident, etc. I've been driving for more years than I care to admit. I've lost count how many new vehicles I've bought (both with vinyl and leather and even cloth seats) and this has never happened to me before like this- not even with 6 years old and 75,000 miles. This is just over 1 year old and I don't even wear jeans or anything that could be sharp to cause this. I've honestly been living in sweats for the most part (so nothing sharp at all, no buttons, zippers, etc.) Even the skirt I wore to a funeral recently had nothing that could cause this. I have no knee, back or hip issues so getting in and out of the car is never a problem.

Given the number of pictures I've seen just like that of a straight tear on the side bolster, I think it's safe to say that's a material/manufacturing issue. Others have gotten it replaced under warranty. Press service on that if you have to, but I think you're going to be taken care of.

Given the number of pictures I've seen just like that of a straight tear on the side bolster, I think it's safe to say that's a material/manufacturing issue. Others have gotten it replaced under warranty. Press service on that if you have to, but I think you're going to be taken care of.
Glad to hear this. I'm still waiting to hear back from my SA at this point

I'm not even remotely a heavy person-- aka not obese and happen to be female so not even as much weight as many of my male counterparts who own these cars. The rest of the seat looks new still btw. No indentations evident, etc. I've been driving for more years than I care to admit. I've lost count how many new vehicles I've bought (both with vinyl and leather and even cloth seats) and this has never happened to me before like this- not even with 6 years old and 75,000 miles. This is just over 1 year old and I don't even wear jeans or anything that could be sharp to cause this. I've honestly been living in sweats for the most part (so nothing sharp at all, no buttons, zippers, etc.) Even the skirt I wore to a funeral recently had nothing that could cause this. I have no knee, back or hip issues so getting in and out of the car is never a problem.
No worries. I just know sometimes I will put my hand on the bolster to push out without any physical ailments, weight issues, age issues, etc (25 and relatively fit, just lazy on the exit).

Do folks with the tear happen to be wearing jewelry on the left hand? My wife or business partner managed to put the tiniest of shallow scratches on the door leather. Pretty sure it was my business partner with a military college ring (fairly smooth).

Just tossing ideas around as possible root cause other than likely manufacturing defect.

No worries. I just know sometimes I will put my hand on the bolster to push out without any physical ailments, weight issues, age issues, etc (25 and relatively fit, just lazy on the exit).

Do folks with the tear happen to be wearing jewelry on the left hand? My wife or business partner managed to put the tiniest of shallow scratches on the door leather. Pretty sure it was my business partner with a military college ring (fairly smooth).

Just tossing ideas around as possible root cause other than likely manufacturing defect.
I can't stand jewelry. I hate the weight and feel anywhere on my body. I never even got an engagement ring 16+ years ago because I wouldn't have worn it. I've seen the damage rings cause to steering wheels btw and my steering wheel is flawless still. I can also assure you 100% I've never pushed off the seat bolster with my hand. I don't get in and out of any vehicle that way actually and never have.

I can't stand jewelry. I hate the weight and feel anywhere on my body. I never even got an engagement ring 16+ years ago because I wouldn't have worn it. I've seen the damage rings cause to steering wheels btw and my steering wheel is flawless still. I can also assure you 100% I've never pushed off the seat bolster with my hand. I don't get in and out of any vehicle that way actually and never have.
It does seem this is limited to the Pures, which likely means this is specifically a Purluxe issue. I imagine they're aware of it and either already have a fix or will soon, but I'd be surprised if they didn't cover it under warranty given how often it has come up.

Always use your holster to carry a gun.
Never carry it in your back pocket.

It does seem this is limited to the Pures, which likely means this is specifically a Purluxe issue. I imagine they're aware of it and either already have a fix or will soon, but I'd be surprised if they didn't cover it under warranty given how often it has come up.
Happened to me in 1st week of ownership in mid April and raised a service ticket. The driver seat was changed/replaced last week. Poor quality and inferior workmanship with the pure perforated leather seats to start with.

Yes most are Pure with Purluxe. However, the upgraded multi-adjustable massage seats come in Purluxe, so if it is related to the material it could impact all Airs with that option too

Yes most are Pure with Purluxe. However, the upgraded multi-adjustable massage seats come in Purluxe, so if it is related to the material it could impact all Airs with that option too
Agreed - my point wasn't the trim but the material. We have not seen this with any of their real leather.

My Pure AWD was manufactured during November of 2023, and my PureLux upholstery material seems to be quite thick, with my seats showing zero signs of wear. This makes me wonder if Lucid fairly recently shifted to a manufacturer of higher quality material. I suppose it is possible that they source their material from several different manufacturers, but that seems unlikely to me. People often talk about this issue relative to when they got their car, but it would be helpful to also note exactly ewhen the car was manufactured, which can be found on the car's data placard. Please bear in mind that a lot of the recent deals were moving cars that were manufactured quite a while ago, so some of these issues might date back to a time before the kinks were worked out of the upholsterer's quality control process.
May I ask how you determined your PureLux material is "quite thick"? Thicker than how thin you can see my tear here? (because I find this to be painfully thin material!)

Attachments

• seattorn.webp
    seattorn.webp
    77.9 KB · Views: 32
  • seatissue.webp
    seatissue.webp
    623.3 KB · Views: 35
May I ask how you determined your PureLux material is "quite thick"? Thicker than how thin you can see my tear here? (because I find this to be painfully thin material!)

It's a far cry from me saying that my seats 'feel' quite thick to me saying that I 'determined' them to be quite thick. I guess I would have to cut the material or have some kind of specific equipment to state that as a fact, but I can say that my seats look, feel and (most importantly) have performed as though they are made with a pretty robust material.

My post was intending to acknowledge that there are likely differences in the material used, when a number of people have tear issues in a matter of days, while others go many months with the material still looking brand new. It's conceivable to me that there was either a bad production run on the upholstery, or that the car was manufactured before the issue was known, and the material was subsequently improved.

I seriously doubt that Lucid would do a warranty seat replacement without reason to believe that the new seat would perform better than the old one did.

Interior Auto in Schenectady quoted $350 to repair.

Attachments

• IMG_6932.webp
    IMG_6932.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6933.webp
    IMG_6933.webp
    282.5 KB · Views: 1,553
To give my update, I just picked up my car this morning with a replacement cover for the driver side. Warranty honored repair on my 2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD

To give my update, I just picked up my car this morning with a replacement cover for the driver side. Warranty honored repair on my 2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
Great to know that they now have the covers.. I was told these were coming.. Earlier repairs required replacement.

What's not to like. I'm talking about Lucid as a Company.

I had this issue, but since I got repair I have very careful when sliding in and out of the seat... Very aware of what might be in my pocket, and really cautious with blue jeans which have old fashioned metal rivets.. Don't know that any of these things created the issue, but have a different mindset now...

I had this issue, but since I got repair I have very careful when sliding in and out of the seat... Very aware of what might be in my pocket, and really cautious with blue jeans which have old fashioned metal rivets.. Don't know that any of these things created the issue, but have a different mindset now...
I don't even own jeans so nothing with rivets to tear anything. I honestly don't wear anything with anything sharp or hard that could have caused this (female owner/driver here)

Back