Purchase Decision Time - Not So Straight Forward when All Things Considered. Need your opinions

i thought they were far ahead in efficiency technology but the highway tests of both BMW and Mercedes and even porsche have been surprisingly efficient. Whereas Lucid real world efficiency tests have underperformed EPA.
The Lucid *is* far ahead in efficiency. BMW and Mercedes use a different EPA test than Lucid and Tesla, so comparing the amount of “miss” from the EPA number is comparing apples and oranges. In terms of miles traveled per kilowatt-hour of energy used, the Lucid has the edge in its segment.

@cwang089 I had similar concerns before buying my GT. Overall I wanted a comfortable car with great range. As life sometimes feels short I decided to make the more interesting choice with the Lucid. I'm glad I did.

The Lucid *is* far ahead in efficiency. BMW and Mercedes use a different EPA test than Lucid and Tesla, so comparing the amount of “miss” from the EPA number is comparing apples and oranges. In terms of miles traveled per kilowatt-hour of energy used, the Lucid has the edge in its segment.

I'm talking real word vs hypothetical EPA ranges. The EQS in real world highway driving is managing 400 miles ~3.7mi/kWh according to youtubers and insideev. With a super quiet comfortable cabin. Its just ugly as hell. EQS Suv is much better looking.

The BMW iX managed like 350 real world highway range on out of spec.

The Taycan manages almost 300 miles and actually beat the Tesla S Plaid in range on insideev test I believe.

Whereas the Lucid on facebook groups users are complaining about poor efficiency not anywhere close to the 4+ mi/kwh unless they drive ultra slow.

So I am talking real world range and efficiencies, not purely EPA or WLTP cycles.

I'm talking real word vs hypothetical EPA ranges. The EQS in real world highway driving is managing 400 miles ~3.7mi/kWh according to youtubers and insideev. With a super quiet comfortable cabin. Its just ugly as hell. EQS Suv is much better looking.

The BMW iX managed like 350 real world highway range on out of spec.

The Taycan manages almost 300 miles and actually beat the Tesla S Plaid in range on insideev test I believe.

Whereas the Lucid on facebook groups users are complaining about poor efficiency not anywhere close to the 4+ mi/kwh unless they drive ultra slow.

So I am talking real world range and efficiencies, not purely EPA or WLTP cycles.
You either use InsideEvs test or don't. Why mix them? Also, consistent testing is the best way to compare not mix and match or using personal anecdotes.

20220814-185553.jpeg

Yeah, I am just not seeing great efficiency or maybe it just the low miles per kW that I am seeing? I do see lots of power and like it.

But the OP wants a touring...
Yes I understand that, my point is he compares the EQS and Taycan ranges using the figures from InsideEvs testing and then using anecdotal reports to say that the Lucid is not meeting the range. Why not compare models using the testing methodology from the same source. It's disingenuous to create a narrative.

Yes I understand that, my point is he compares the EQS and Taycan ranges using the figures from InsideEvs testing and then using anecdotal reports to say that the Lucid is not meeting the range. Why not compare models using the testing methodology from the same source. It's disingenuous to create a narrative.
Agreed. Me personally, I prefer edmunds, despite their obvious european bias.

Well, I have said this a bunch of times, but I just want to know how many miles I really have left. Yes, I know this can be less than trivial to compute but needs to be better. I charge to 80 percent and the car says that I have 380 miles. Then I drive 100 miles and it says that I have 200 miles left! Don't tell me that I "should" get 380 miles because I won't based upon my driving history. EOR (end of rant). 🤣

i thought they were far ahead in efficiency technology but the highway tests of both BMW and Mercedes and even porsche have been surprisingly efficient. Whereas Lucid real world efficiency tests have underperformed EPA.

What has been really horrible for efficiency is the Rivian, but I guess that was to be expected. While Lucid is trying to get their act together others are constantly improving, even Tesla's. The OTA updates continue to impress.

Where I have my Pure ordered and with 7500 rebate, it is still a relative bargain. As long as Lucid is around in 10 years
So I just went out to my GV60 and checked. In the 700 miles since I acquired it a few weeks ago, with zero attempt at driving efficiently (other than learning to drive one pedal), and driving on the highway at 75 mph, I have averaged 2.9. That comes out to pretty close to exactly the EPA estimate. I think some of the efficiency differential may be attributed to which EPA test was utilized by the manufacturer.

So I just went out to my GV60 and checked. In the 700 miles since I acquired it a few weeks ago, with zero attempt at driving efficiently (other than learning to drive one pedal), and driving on the highway at 75 mph, I have averaged 2.9. That comes out to pretty close to exactly the EPA estimate. I think some of the efficiency differential may be attributed to which EPA test was utilized by the manufacturer.

You got a GV60? 😉😉😜😜

Don’t forget the very comfortable daily driver (530E) he had before that 😁

We love you Steve!

I had forgotten that.🤣🤣🤣

And absolutely we do !!!!

What has been really horrible for efficiency is the Rivian, but I guess that was to be expected. While Lucid is trying to get their act together others are constantly improving, even Tesla's. The OTA updates continue to impress.

Where I have my Pure ordered and with 7500 rebate, it is still a relative bargain. As long as Lucid is around in 10 years
Surprisingly efficient compared to what? EPA results? I've posted this before - Porsche submits their most aggressive setups for EPA testing. You notice that Lucid submitted both 19 and 21 inch wheel variants while Porsche only submitted 1. According to Edmunds, "In EPA tests, a vehicle is run in the default settings at startup. If there are more efficient drive modes available, or if you can increase the level of regenerative braking, but the vehicle doesn't default to these settings, they won't be utilized." This is why the Air always starts in Smooth mode. I don't own a Taycan so can't say what mode it defaults to or if you can define the default. When InsideEVs and Edmunds tests, they set the car up to be the most efficient it can be. So the Air being tested by the EPA and Edmunds/InsideEVs is set up the same. The Porsche tested by the EPA is set up with different tires and settings than what Edmunds/InsideEVs tested (although the tires aren't controlled by Edmunds/InsideEVs, it's whatever the test car came equipped with).

So if you EPA tested a Dream R with 21" wheels and defaulted it to Sprint with Standard regen but had Edmunds test a Dream R with 19" wheels set to Smooth with strong regen, it would appear surprisingly efficient compared to EPA ratings.

All these efficiency and other factors are B.S. You're spending six figures for a car. Are you concerned about fuel prices? Cost of electricity? Price of Japanese A5? Well, maybe that. There is only one factor that counts, and that is WOW.

All these efficiency and other factors are B.S. You're spending six figures for a car. Are you concerned about fuel prices? Cost of electricity? Price of Japanese A5? Well, maybe that. There is only one factor that counts, and that is WOW.
Well, WOW and range.

If you are risk adverse which sounds like you are just hold off on the car and buy one that is used later in couple years. You don’t have to buy a car now nobody forcing you and honestly there isn’t really an advantage anymore cause Lucid has many unsold cars. Personally if we wait prices will drop and inflation will reduce. There is no price or penalty for waiting.

What I would wait for are following:

1) Better software like at least give me Netflix and theatre mode, alarm system like sentry mode, holiday things like light snow

2) charging infrastructure where I live Tesla has so many super chargers and 1ea structure. Seems like tesla is building super charger stations worn 30-80+ chargers now per station.

3) the trunk is just not usable day to day for a family man with kids. Couldn’t even fit our stroller.

So wait I shall but hopefully these things improve

Back