Purchase Decision Time - Not So Straight Forward when All Things Considered. Need your opinions

I have reservations for Pure and this is also a serious consideration for me. Based on their financials they have some major issues especially around their profit per vehicle sold. They are currently losing money on each vehicle produced. The amount of gross profit loss per vehicle is a little murky because they have it as cost of revenue which isn't excactly COGS. But anyhow the number doesn't look good.

Tesla at the same point in their production lifecycle was making a healthy gross profit per vehicle even if you strip out the Tesla credits.

This situation is going to compound going into next year because they are shifting more of their sales to lower priced/lower margin vehicles AND they are mostly losing tax credits so future demand will wane somewhat versus when they had $7,500 tax credit.

On top of this, people have been focusing on them ramping up production but they seem to have a demand problem. The cars they are producing are not getting sold and they have available inventory that they are willing to sell at a discount before year end.

Tesla was making a gross profit, so scaling up made sense especially with economies of scale. If the number estimates are right Lucid is in trouble as they can't scale out of this issue. They need to raise prices or cut costs per vehicle and/or both.

So it really is an issue as a prospective buyer worrying if the company will be around to support your vehicle. Think Fisker Karma and how those vehicles tanked.

The Saudis back Lucid, but for how long. Lucid keeps pushing the narrative that they have better cars than say Tesla but 1 upping categories here and there. But Teslas have better charging network and will probably be around as they can maintain themselves at the current run rate.

On top of that, all of the ICE legacies are now having decent cars as an alternative to Tesla. I trust a porsche, benz, or BMW to be around in 5 years to support the vehicles they sell. Rivian and Lucid are up in the air.

I love the tech of the Lucid especially the efficiency and the rear seat room sans the trunk. But I don't think a lot of people appreciate efficiency as much as I do.

/rant
I'm not as concerned about bankruptcy. In 2017 Tesla delivered their first Model 3. They'd been selling Model S's for 5 years. And, technically, didn't become "profitable" until 2020. That's when the stock took off. Tesla started in 2003, Lucid didn't really start (as the current company) until 2016. Everything is a matter of perspective.

Just to close the loop on this one - I have decided to proceed with my order. I'm very excited about moving forward especially with the support of the members in this forum to help address any hurdles which may arise. Thanks to everyone for providing their input.

Back