Power for Radar Detector

amoroso6

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT Zenith Red
SO, I want to install a radar detector but not an installed detector package, so I can change unit as tech changes. Has anyone tried to do a power tap behind the rearview mirror for this?

I just plug mine directly into the USB outlet with this:
USB A Male to 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Female Cable Converter 1.2M/4FT https://a.co/d/1zlCYu8

The radar detector plug has a mute button, so I just have it coming straight down, to the right of the pilot panel. It's not the prettiest setup, but it works and I don't care about aesthetics in the car. Not one person who has seen the car had made any comments about my radar detector setup, other than asking what it is. They're all too enamored with the car to notice I think 🤣

Yeah. I'll try to take a pic a little later.
Shoot. Just realized I took the pics, but forgot to post them. Here they are @amoroso6.
20220628_155226.jpg

20220628_155155.jpg

I just plug mine directly into the USB outlet with this:
USB A Male to 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Female Cable Converter 1.2M/4FT https://a.co/d/1zlCYu8

The radar detector plug has a mute button, so I just have it coming straight down, to the right of the pilot panel. It's not the prettiest setup, but it works and I don't care about aesthetics in the car. Not one person who has seen the car had made any comments about my radar detector setup, other than asking what it is. They're all too enamored with the car to notice I think 🤣

It was previously mentioned several times on this forum that the windshield has a metallic coating that interferes with the use of a radar detector except in the lower right corner of the windshield?? How come yours is working??

I can't remember who, but someone posted that Lucid has gone through 3 or 4 different versions of the windshield. The most recent version doesn't have the signal blocking of the older versions, so there's no interference.

I can't remember who, but someone posted that Lucid has gone through 3 or 4 different versions of the windshield. The most recent version doesn't have the signal blocking of the older versions, so there's no interference.
Right, I confirmed as much with the service manager when inquiring about getting my windshield replaced.

Right, I confirmed as much with the service manager when inquiring about getting my windshield replaced.

I received my car in April from a previous cancellation. How do I find out if my GT does or does not have the metallic coating in the windshield??

I received my car in April from a previous cancellation. How do I find out if my GT does or does not have the metallic coating in the windshield??
Ask the service manager for your closest service center would be my go to, or email customer service. They'll have you VIN and which version of the windshield you have.

It was previously mentioned several times on this forum that the windshield has a metallic coating that interferes with the use of a radar detector except in the lower right corner of the windshield?? How come yours is working??
How will you know IF your windshield is interfering with the radar detector? Will the detector beep or just not pick up radar?

Well that doesn’t look to bad, was that cord the standard or did your order a longer one

How will you know IF your windshield is interfering with the radar detector? Will the detector beep or just not pick up radar?
Mine alerts slower than it did in my Mercedes but still gives me enough time. It seems to alert sooner for laser and K-pop than Ka band. I hid the wire a bit more than @Neurio, put the detector in the left bottom corner of the windshield, threaded the cable underneath the glass cockpit and steering wheel then ran it underneath the pilot panel bin keeping it stuck to the inside with black 3M adhesive cable clips so you don’t notice it, then looped it under the seat and back up the side of the arm rest to the USB connector also using the 3M clips. Totally low-fi but it works. There was another thread on it where I posted pics I think @amoroso6 if you look for it.

Well that doesn’t look to bad, was that cord the standard or did your order a longer one
Standard cord that came with the detector. It's plugged into the converter I linked to earlier in the thread. I will say that it sometimes swings in corners and can hit the pilot panel, so I'm probably going to try to get the cord out of the way a little better. Probably not as much as @bunnylebowski, but it's annoying when the song suddenly changes because the cord hits the screen.

Ask the service manager for your closest service center would be my go to, or email customer service. They'll have you VIN and which version of the windshield you have.
Thank you. I e-mailed the customer service center. Will await their reply

Thank you. I e-mailed the customer service center. Will await their reply
Please let us know what they say as well since there will probably other owners who will have the same question!

Please let us know what they say as well since there will probably other owners who will have the same question!

Already received a reply back that it will take about 48 hours to get that information concerning the windshield(metallic coating or not)

So the early Dream Edition windshields had an “open” area in the lower right corner that was supposed to let the transponders work but too small for a radar detector and iffy even for a transponder. Further since the cantrails were actually glued to the car frame if you replaced the windshield with one of the newer versions ( there have been four new ones) then you also have to replace the cantrails and bow as well.

Back