Post your mi/kWh efficiency in inclement weather

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
It would be useful to have observed mi/kWh figures for our Airs in inclement weather. Could those with experience please post:
Your observed mi/kWh in inclement weather
Conditions - temperature, rain/snow, notable headwinds, average speed
Your car - GT, Touring, Pure, wheel size and tire type

Not sure about mi/kWh but I drove 320 miles from DC to New Haven on Thursday afternoon / evening. Temperature in the 40s and 30s. Left at 100%, arrived at 8%. Three of us in the car, HA set to 82 when traffic allowed.

Realised before the drive home yesterday that tires were on the low side at 46. Inflated them to 50 and that, and / or the fact that it was at least 10 degrees warmer, had a significant on consumption … on the return leg we left at 98%, got home at 13%.

Since March when I took delivery of my Touring, I am averaging 3.5 m/kWh. But that has decreased to about 2.5 the past couple of months here in the northeast.

Just drove from San Diego CA to Phoenix AZ. There’s a 4,000 ft elevation change. I averaged 2.9 miles/kWh over 529 miles. I drove in rain (heavy at times), poor visibility, driving wind and darkness. I think the day I took my drive was the only day that it was predicted to rain ALL YEAR, between Yuma and Phoenix.

The planned distance between San Diego and Phoenix was 360 miles. I left my house at 100% charge, drove 280 miles to Dateland AZ, maintaining 80 mph much of the time, and arrived at the EA charging stalls with only 20% remaining.

When I arrived in Dateland the whole travel centre and gas station complex was completely dark. The power had gone out, probably because of the wind and rain. The Tesla supercharger stations were dark too. It was inevitable the EA charging stalls would be dark too.

Several minutes after my arriving, the power came back. The gas station reopened, but unfortunately the travel centre which sold the date milkshake decided to close right there and then, at 1800 hrs in the evening.

In the meantime, nothing on the EA app or PlugShare indicated that the EA DCFCs at Dateland would be completely dead upon my arrival. When I pulled up to my stall, there were already two Chevy Bolts and and Ioniq parked, none of them charging, all of them at low battery chaerge, and now in a dicey predicament.

The Tesla supercharger station and the EA station remained dark. At only 20%, I had two choices - drive 89 miles east to Buckeye AZ, or backtrack 63 miles west back to Yuma, which I drove past over an hour earlier. Lucid navigation predicted that I would arrive in Buckeye at negative (-) 17 miles. It also predicted that I would arrive back in Yuma at 0 (zero) miles. I decided to take the less risky option.

Wet and cold from the wind and the rain, and dateshake-less, I drove back to Yuma. I kept my speed at 60 mph, and drafted behind semi-trailers whenever I could. Often they would pick up speed and pull away from me. The drive back to Yuma was the longest hour of my life. But, keeping my speed at 60 mph, even the face of a headwind and wet roads, brought my efficiency back up tyo 3.1 miles per kWh. I pulled up to the fully operational Yuma EA DCFCs with 4% charge and 20 miles remaining.

I charged up to 90% in about 45 minutes, jumped back in my car and finally made it to Phoenix AZ, late at night, about four hours later than what I’d planned.

My drive from SoCal to Phoenix was a near disaster, no thanks to Electrify America. It was only the following morning, when a notice appeared on Plugshare and on their app, acknowledging that the Dateland AZ site was down for maintenance. What a clusterf*ck, a total $hitshow and a damn waste of an evening. My one silver lining was that at least, unlike two other hapless drivers at Dateland, I did not have to be towed anywhere.

This latest roadtrip experience has shaken my confidence in the viability of EV road tripping in anything other than a Tesla. The charging network for anything not-Tesla is just too spotty and too unreliable. I came away from this experience really, hugely disappointed, and very annoyed.

When I return to San Diego next week, I’ve already plotted where I’ll stop and charge, and Dateland AZ is not one of them. Boo, Electrify America. Abominable job you’re doing.

Lucid Air GT. 19 inch rims.

Attachments

• IMG_9073.jpeg
    IMG_9073.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Just drove from San Diego CA to Phoenix AZ. There’s a 4,000 ft elevation change. I averaged 2.9 miles/kWh over 529 miles. I drove in rain (heavy at times), poor visibility, driving wind and darkness. I think the day I took my drive was the only day that it was predicted to rain ALL YEAR, between Yuma and Phoenix.

The planned distance between San Diego and Phoenix was 360 miles. I left my house at 100% charge, drove 280 miles to Dateland AZ, maintaining 80 mph much of the time, and arrived at the EA charging stalls with only 20% remaining.

When I arrived in Dateland the whole travel centre and gas station complex was completely dark. The power had gone out, probably because of the wind and rain. The Tesla supercharger stations were dark too. It was inevitable the EA charging stalls would be dark too.

Several minutes after my arriving, the power came back. The gas station reopened, but unfortunately the travel centre which sold the date milkshake decided to close right there and then, at 1800 hrs in the evening.

In the meantime, nothing on the EA app or PlugShare indicated that the EA DCFCs at Dateland would be completely dead upon my arrival. When I pulled up to my stall, there were already two Chevy Bolts and and Ioniq parked, none of them charging, all of them at low battery chaerge, and now in a dicey predicament.

The Tesla supercharger station and the EA station remained dark. At only 20%, I had two choices - drive 89 miles east to Buckeye AZ, or backtrack 63 miles west back to Yuma, which I drove past over an hour earlier. Lucid navigation predicted that I would arrive in Buckeye at negative (-) 17 miles. It also predicted that I would arrive back in Yuma at 0 (zero) miles. I decided to take the less risky option.

Wet and cold from the wind and the rain, and dateshake-less, I drove back to Yuma. I kept my speed at 60 mph, and drafted behind semi-trailers whenever I could. Often they would pick up speed and pull away from me. The drive back to Yuma was the longest hour of my life. But, keeping my speed at 60 mph, even the face of a headwind and wet roads, brought my efficiency back up tyo 3.1 miles per kWh. I pulled up to the fully operational Yuma EA DCFCs with 4% charge and 20 miles remaining.

I charged up to 90% in about 45 minutes, jumped back in my car and finally made it to Phoenix AZ, late at night, about four hours later than what I’d planned.

My drive from SoCal to Phoenix was a near disaster, no thanks to Electrify America. It was only the following morning, when a notice appeared on Plugshare and on their app, acknowledging that the Dateland AZ site was down for maintenance. What a clusterf*ck, a total $hitshow and a damn waste of an evening. My one silver lining was that at least, unlike two other hapless drivers at Dateland, I did not have to be towed anywhere.

This latest roadtrip experience has shaken my confidence in the viability of EV road tripping in anything other than a Tesla. The charging network for anything not-Tesla is just too spotty and too unreliable. I came away from this experience really, hugely disappointed, and very annoyed.

When I return to San Diego next week, I’ve already plotted where I’ll stop and charge, and Dateland AZ is not one of them. Boo, Electrify America. Abominable job you’re doing.

Average outside air temperature during my drive through the desert, 58 degrees farenheit. Did I mention already that it was rainy, windy and quickly getting dark.

Wow, that's about as worrisome as it gets without a tow, or sleeping in your car.

Last edited:

Dang, in inclement weather I definitely would have dropped my speed to 70 so I could make it to buckeye instead.

I drove from dc to myrtle beach in a tropical storm. Rained from start to finish. 3.0 mi/kw. 75 pretty much the whole way.

Despite driving electric cars for the last 10 years I hadn’t realized that none of the charging stations are covered. Had to charge twice; got soaked both times.

This points at the biggest problem with EA which is their incompetence at maintaining their chargers. EA chargers will sit broken or degraded for months without repair. Here is to hoping that some of the other networks are much better at maintaining equipment even if they charge more for each kWhr.

Dang, in inclement weather I definitely would have dropped my speed to 70 so I could make it to buckeye instead.

In retrospect, yes. Had I known that the Dateland EA station was going to be completely down when I arrived, I would have either stopped in Yuma, and charged there, or dropped my speed back to 70 mph, far earlier in my drive, so as to make it to Buckeye.

An alternative plan, again in retrospect, would have been to leave Dateland, press on to Buckeye, but drop my speed down to 50 mph. Driving at 60 mph, the 63 miles all the way back to Yuma, netted me 20 miles when I arrived. Just six miles short of what I need had pressed on to Buckeye. Thing is, it was dark, I didn’t know the area very well, I didn’t know what to the elevation changes would be, and I didn’t relish the the prospect of being stranded in a relatively remote area.

Turns out, the Arizona SR 85, which connects the Interstate 8 freeway to the I-10, is actually pretty heavily travelled, so I wouldn’t have been stranded anywhere remote. But I didn’t know that at the time.

Why should EV owners of all brands, except Tesla and Rivian, have to go thru what’s described here? No car company ever told their buyers about EA problems, which have been present almost from the beginning.
Regardless of what car manufacturers have or have not done with EA on their performance, the reality is their customers simply don’t have satisfactory experience. Some have reported improvement here and there, but I believe overall, It‘s still quite an impactful inconvenience, to put it mildly.
My younger son who knows nothing about cars but had been on 1 EV trip previously was just so happy when we decided to take an ICE for the trip last month.

Agree about how challenging it can be right now, too much for a lot of people.
We're part of the demand and revenue needed right now to drive the improvements.
The huge $5B federal program's gears are turning (NYT article), should bloom next year.
There are other charging networks.
It's better than it was last year, and it will improve every year.

We're part of the demand and revenue needed right now to drive the improvements.
The huge $5B federal program's gears are turning (NYT article), should bloom next year.
I remember reading somewhere that only Ohio and NY have put up new chargers from the fed grants. And even there, the number is still rather small.
Other states may be ready for Lucid 3rd car entry.

Mind you, I’m still a huge fan of EV road tripping, and EV cars in general. But this latest experience has been sobering. I’m now resolved to EV road trip (using that phrase as a verb), a little differently. Rather than revel in the Air’s long legs and driving as far as I can before charging, I’m now planning to charge earlier in my drive, and more often. Which sort of negates the reason why I bought this very nice but very expensive car in the first place - it’s chart topping range.

Mind you, I’m still a huge fan of EV road tripping, and EV cars in general. But this latest experience has been sobering. I’m now resolved to EV road trip (using that phrase as a verb), a little differently. Rather than revel in the Air’s long legs and driving as far as I can before charging, I’m now planning to charge earlier in my drive, and more often. Which sort of negates the reason why I bought this very nice but very expensive car in the first place - it’s chart topping range.
Well even if you feel that way there‘s still the great driving dynamics and unparalleled good looks. :)

I remember reading somewhere that only Ohio and NY have put up new chargers from the fed grants. And even there, the number is still rather small.
Other states may be ready for Lucid 3rd car entry.
That is true, Ohio has started putting some up. The Ohio Turnpike also has (not because of the Fed grants though). Still it makes no sense, as on the Turnpike that they put a total of 64 Tesla stalls (great) and only 16 EA stalls across the Turnpike at rest areas. Awesome ideas, but install more EA stall. And the EA stalls they do have when I tried two different sets, only 1/2 worked. I will say that I still don’t see a lot of EV’s using either Tesla or EA and I travel the turnpike a lot. EV adaption is just slow around here compared to other parts of the US. Most people I know say they will never switch and talk about all the horror charging stories, etc..

If the govt is going to give free money out for charging, at least make the company guarantee they will work and maintain them.

I made similar decision yesterday. Driving from DC to South Bend I stopped at Bedford PA, Cranberry PA, and Blue Heron OH. The car can easily get from DC to Cranberry on one charge but I felt compelled to stop just in case there were lines or broken chargers elsewhere.

In fact, though, the EA experience at all three locations was very positive, with only a five minute wait at Cranberry. But I’m slightly dreading the drive back on the 27th, when there will be more cars on the road.

“Love the car, hate EA” is a pretty common charging station conversation topic with drivers of all makes 😢

I made similar decision yesterday. Driving from DC to South Bend I stopped at Bedford PA, Cranberry PA, and Blue Heron OH. The car can easily get from DC to Cranberry on one charge but I felt compelled to stop just in case there were lines or broken chargers elsewhere.

In fact, though, the EA experience at all three locations was very positive, with only a five minute wait at Cranberry. But I’m slightly dreading the drive back on the 27th, when there will be more cars on the road.

“Love the car, hate EA” is a pretty common charging station conversation topic with drivers of all makes 😢
That is really good to hear! Hope your drive back goes as well! 🙂

Back