L2 charging just before driving in the cold improves driving efficiency?

Vette2Lucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
I'm an EV newbie and this is my first winter with an EV-- well, as "winter" as Phoenix gets. Mornings have been in the 30s or 40s, and afternoons in the 50s to 70s. My driving efficiency since I got the car is about 4.4mi/kWh. I was seeing closer to 4.8 during the milder temps in October and November. But as December hit, it's been more like 4.2, even when I can get away without running the cabin heat (which is most of the time). During December, I had been L2 charging my car right after getting home, when the temperatures were most moderate.
This morning, I tried something different-- I charged for 45 minutes before leaving home in the morning. My efficiency driving to work was a number I hadn't seen in a while: 5.1.
I hadn't really intended the different charging routine as an experiment, but now I wonder if charging right before driving in the 40s temperature warmed the battery enough to make it significantly more efficient. Have you observed the same?

Yes, this is a common experience across all EVs. Otherwise, some of the battery's charge will have to be spent on heating the battery, otherwise even more of the battery's charge is wasted due to inefficiencies of a cold battery!

Back