Post your mi/kWh efficiency in inclement weather

2.6 mi/kWh
77ish mph for ~120 miles
Day 1: -15F (yes, negative), tires at 40ish psi, headwind ~5mph
Day 2: 35F, tires properly inflated, crosswind ~5mph
Somehow got similar efficiency each day, even though the second day (a week later) should have been much more efficient (properly inflated tires and 50F warmer)
Pure 19" aero with about 30 miles on the odometer before the trip
Flat, straight, and cold

2.6 mi/kWh
77ish mph for ~120 miles
Day 1: -15F (yes, negative), tires at 40ish psi, headwind ~5mph
Day 2: 35F, tires properly inflated, crosswind ~5mph
Somehow got similar efficiency each day, even though the second day (a week later) should have been much more efficient (properly inflated tires and 50F warmer)
Pure 19" aero with about 30 miles on the odometer before the trip
Flat, straight, and cold
wow 40 psi compared to 49, big difference!

My efficiency took a hit during my last commute to work, and I really don’t know why. I rolled up to my house last night with only 4% battery charge remaining. Not good.

Driving at a cruise control speed set at 80 mph, I used 91% of my battery to drive my usual 280 miles roundtrip. “Trip” efficiency was reading mostly at 3.0 miles/kWh.

Dry roads, outside air temperature between 59 to 61 degrees F. Winds calm and variable. Tyre pressures between 49 and 50 PSI.

This is the worst efficiency, or the most I’ve used of my battery in fifteen months of doing this 280 mile commute. In the beginning and for several months, I was using only 80%. Sometimes as low as 75%; and only on one occasion when it was windy and rainy, 90%.

Never have I used as much as 91% of my battery while driving 280 miles on a mild weather day.

My efficiency took a hit during my last commute to work, and I really don’t know why. I rolled up to my house last night with only 4% battery charge remaining. Not good.

Driving at a cruise control speed set at 80 mph, I used 91% of my battery to drive my usual 280 miles roundtrip. “Trip” efficiency was reading mostly at 3.0 miles/kWh.

Dry roads, outside air temperature between 59 to 61 degrees F. Winds calm and variable. Tyre pressures between 49 and 50 PSI.

This is the worst efficiency, or the most I’ve used of my battery in fifteen months of doing this 280 mile commute. In the beginning and for several months, I was using only 80%. Sometimes as low as 75%; and only on one occasion when it was windy and rainy, 90%.

Never have I used as much as 91% of my battery while driving 280 miles on a mild weather day.
Even when you feel like it's not windy, it could definitely affect your efficiency quite a bit of you drive into a headwind the entire time. 10mph feels like nothing, but it'll sap your power. You can check the Windy historical data.

wow 40 psi compared to 49, big difference!

Yea that's apparently how it was when we got the car. Still baffled we didn't get better efficiency with higher temps and higher tire pressure. Just was not expecting to see anything near as low as 2.6.

I guess I would classify today as 'clement' weather for upstate NY. 47° light winds. Currently enjoying 3.7 mi/kWh on my trip across the state. I haven't seen efficiency like this in a while. Touring 19" aero at 77 mph ACC. But I just noticed that my tires are over inflated. Mobile service probably inflated them last week when it was 25° and the tires were cold. Should I let a little air out? Range is 53-56 psi

Many posts on this already. 4.2 in summer. 3.0 at 30-35F. 2.8 at 15F and snow.

I know this is worrysome, but it's cool.
You get to surf the edge in your EV and make it safely back to home charge harbor.
Playing with fire is fun.

I have no reason to go out in the world an look for (range) trouble.

You get do it for work.

That’s odd, I got 3.5 mi/kwh at 20-30F temps on 19” PSI 49 driving 75-85mph to New Hampshire and back, 170 miles. If your big effiency drop continues I’d talk to service, makes no sense I’d get better efficiency in far worse conditions driving similar speeds.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 27
That’s odd, I got 3.5 mi/kwh at 20-30F temps on 19” PSI 49 driving 75-85mph to New Hampshire and back, 170 miles. If your big effiency drop continues I’d talk to service, makes no sense I’d get better efficiency in far worse conditions driving similar speeds.

Thanks for your comments. This “huge battery drain” hasn’t since I wrote about it a few weeks ago. Over my last few roundtrip drives to work my overall efficiency has been more often what I’ve typically come to expect.

On another subject, I finished my drive to work with 63% battery charge. I left my car for several hours. When I came back to start my 140 mile drive home my battery charge had dropped to 57%. A 6% drop in charge level in a matter of nine hours?! How does that happen? Then I started doubting myself. Did I really finish my drive earlier at 63%, or did I finish actually much lower?

I’m starting to wonder if there’s a lag between how the car is actually doing, and what it’s telling us.

Oh, I had that happen one time and only figured out what was going on because I came out to my car in the AM and the soft close door didn’t close correctly and kept trying to re-close so it used up like 5-6% of the battery trying to close overnight. A reboot cured it. This was back with version 1.0 software, never had that kind of drain again. I wonder if there’s some process in your car that’s using power while you thought it was asleep that it shouldn’t? There’s no way you should have that much drain.

Oh, I had that happen one time and only figured out what was going on because I came out to my car in the AM and the soft close door didn’t close correctly and kept trying to re-close so it used up like 5-6% of the battery trying to close overnight. A reboot cured it. This was back with version 1.0 software, never had that kind of drain again. I wonder if there’s some process in your car that’s using power while you thought it was asleep that it shouldn’t? There’s no way you should have that much drain.

I agree. I’m trying to think what I might have left on while I was gone for several hours. I know for sure the four doors locked and the lights did their mini light show as I was walking away. Shall have to see if this happens again. Typically I’ve left my car powered down and dark for up to four days, and seen only 2% phantom drain while I was gone.

By the way, I posted in another thread that just this morning, I got the message below, upon first start up. Called Lucid Customer Care because the message didn’t go away after doing the reset involving pressing the “Air” logo. My car is effectively “grounded”. I wonder if the battery drain yesterday and this message are related.

Attachments

• IMG_9510.jpeg
    IMG_9510.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
I have Lucid Air Touring 2023. Driven about 500 miles total. Averaging 3.0 miles/kwh. 19 inch rims. Mixed driving city and highway. Mostly on smooth with high regen. Occasional use on swift/sprint to test the acceleration. Live in Pennsylvania. Was hoping to get higher average.

I have Lucid Air Touring 2023. Driven about 500 miles total. Averaging 3.0 miles/kwh. 19 inch rims. Mixed driving city and highway. Mostly on smooth with high regen. Occasional use on swift/sprint to test the acceleration. Live in Pennsylvania. Was hoping to get higher average.
When the weather gets warmer you will, even driving the same way you are now…and we don’t know how that is because you didn’t tell us in any detail.

When the weather gets warmer you will, even driving the same way you are now…and we don’t know how that is because you didn’t tell us in any detail.
It’s about 39F outside. Psi on tires at 49. Inside cabin heat at 69. Heat on driver seat to max and heat on for steering wheel. What other details do you want to know? Is averaging around 3mi/kwh seem ok? Most people here are doing about that from what I’ve been reading. Will have to see in summer if I can get to avg of 4.

What speed? To test your efficiency consistently, get on the highway, set ACC to 72 then reset your trip B and drive for several miles and see what the efficiency is then. The car doesn’t do great in stop go driving because it takes a lot of kW go get it up to speed repeatedly. Warmer temps will help some but I think I’m averaging 3.1 with temps in the 30s when you factor in all the city stop go and short highway trip stuff, but at steady highway speeds the efficiency is much better.

Last Christmas we took a road trip from northern California to Seattle. Winter temperature + rainy season + cruising at 85mph gets me 2.6-2.7.

Check it fools, I did an experiment today driving like @GEWC advised, I simply never accelerated very hard and would take quite a lot of time to slow down by leaving lots of space to the car in front of me. Speeds 55-70mph temps 49F, and not kidding, I was battery preconditionig at this time. Here’s the route: https://maps.app.goo.gl/No1T71wjr2mVarfX7?g_st=ic

5.0 mi/kwh!
IMG_2726.jpeg

Back