Bad Efficiency? Read this first before creating another of the same topic.

Of course, efficiency will vary, but standardized testing is an essential benchmark for comparison. So the Gravity pulling a trailer up a mountain in the dead of winter will get worse mileage than one on a flat road driven by grandma, but it helps to have some guidelines. My issue with range numbers is there is no real standardization, and depending on where the car comes from determines what method is used. China uses one that is exceptionally optimistic compared to most EPA-published numbers, and Tesla uses a different process for their numbers, resulting in overly generous numbers. I would be happy if the industry picked one method and published numbers based on that. You buy an ICE car and can be reasonably confident in getting close to the published figures.

If you buy a Tesla you can expect worse range as Elon miles aren't going to happen, my Rivian gives me about the stated miles for given tire size and BMW seems to sandbag their numbers and I get better than stated range out of my i4 M50.
Well the EPA has adjusted their testing compared to before to try and get it closer to reality which is why you saw an adjustment of range for all EVs. Slowly... government agencies changing things is like turning a container ship.

I salute anyone who has the patience and perseverance to stay under 70 mph with Lucid Air on the Freeway... lol

What would be the (range of) "optimal" temperature for the battery to operate efficiently?

I'm actually curious to take the GT to Joshua Tree National Park and see how it does at 100+ degrees during the daytime.
If this damages the battery... then probably not.
Hey! I'm from San Diego and I actually took my Air Pure to Joshua Tree 2 weeks ago. On the way up is brutal, especially with the elevation and traffic. Starting with a full charge I ended up with 50% by the time I got there (150 total miles for me). The way back was better, I was getting roughly 3.7kwh, driving around 75-80mph.

I would say the heat and using AC was not as much of a factor in efficiency as much as elevation. The car was telling me it got up to 115degF in the middle of the day. Within the park there are many landmarks to stop at, I was getting around 3.4 kwh.

Even though the way back is more efficient, if you are coming back on a Sunday afternoon, beware that most of the EA chargers around Temecula/Escondido will be very busy.

A group of 13 Lucids ranging from a Pure to a GT-P just completed Tail of the Dragon in a fairly remote section of North Carolina without readily accessible chargers. 200+ mile rally with no issues for anyone on the ride with efficiency or getting to a charger after the last stop. No one charged to 100%. We charged to 91% and ended in the 30s.

This was in the mountains with moderate to aggressive driving for all participants. I promise the car will get you where you need to go as long as you do your due diligence based on your driving habits and driving session (elevation, temperature, driving style, etc.).

The conversation about EPA vs. actual does get old. The only number that matters is the one you are getting as you actively drive and only if it is cutting it close to a charger/round-trip remote destination.

Hey! I'm from San Diego and I actually took my Air Pure to Joshua Tree 2 weeks ago. On the way up is brutal, especially with the elevation and traffic. Starting with a full charge I ended up with 50% by the time I got there (150 total miles for me). The way back was better, I was getting roughly 3.7kwh, driving around 75-80mph.

I would say the heat and using AC was not as much of a factor in efficiency as much as elevation. The car was telling me it got up to 115degF in the middle of the day. Within the park there are many landmarks to stop at, I was getting around 3.4 kwh.

Even though the way back is more efficient, if you are coming back on a Sunday afternoon, beware that most of the EA chargers around Temecula/Escondido will be very busy.
Good to know you made the whole trip without additional charging. (or did you?)
Temecula to my home (in San Diego) is about 40 miles away... so my GT should make the full round trip at 120 degrees temperature while blasting AC + massage + ventilation + tidal music playlist banging at all times... Or will it? lol
Time for the real-world endurance/stress test soon!

Good to know you made the whole trip without additional charging. (or did you?)
Temecula to my home (in San Diego) is about 40 miles away... so my GT should make the full round trip at 120 degrees temperature while blasting AC + massage + ventilation + tidal music playlist banging at all times... Or will it? lol
Time for the real-world endurance/stress test soon!
During my stay in Joshua Tree, I relied on plugging in the mobile home charger to a standard 120v outlet at the airbnb I stayed at, which gave me around 10-14% overnight. That was usually enough to cover the day's drive. I left Joshua Tree with around 50% charge, and made it to the Sam's club EA station in Temecula at around 20% charge but it was so packed, I drove to the EA station in Westfield North County ~40 miles further and made it with about 11% battery 😅. Definitely had some range anxiety on the last leg and needed to stay on the right lane going 60-65, but good to know it really is possible to do over 4.0 mi/kwh if you need to.

If you buy a Tesla you can expect worse range as Elon miles aren't going to happen, my Rivian gives me about the stated miles for given tire size and BMW seems to sandbag their numbers and I get better than stated range out of my i4 M50.
Before I went EV I drove BMWs and the company always sandbagged its numbers (HP, efficiency, etc.).

Before I went EV I drove BMWs and the company always sandbagged its numbers (HP, efficiency, etc.).
There’s an advantage to this approach too. The customer, as was I with our i4, pleasantly surprised with both the range and efficiency numbers compared to the stated EPA stats. Honestly, the i4’s efficiency is absolutely in the ballpark of my Lucid. Of course the Lucid does suffer from a 500lb weight disadvantage relative to the i4, but the i4 is still a very efficient EV.

Ok I am close to 2000 miles in on my Air Touring AWD with 19 inch tires. Mostly highway driving but in the congested Boston New York corridor so don’t average much above 65. Haven’t had any intense heat waves yet so highs are not more then low 80s. With those parameters I am getting 4.4 KWh/mile or close to 410 miles range. Pretty phenomenal - I do recognize this is ideal conditions for efficiency.

I love my GT but won't take it on a long trip. The infrastructure for non-Tesla's is horrible. When I have taken the GT on a long trip i.e. 275 miles or more, I never get over 300 miles of range based on my driving habit and that's OK, kinda. However, when pulling into an Electrified America charging station, either the stations do not work or all the 350kw chargers are throttled down to 150kw. Therefore, there is no point in taking the GT on a long drive since the charging stations are so unreliable. I take my Tesla instead where the every charging station works. EA better get there shit together.

There’s an advantage to this approach too. The customer, as was I with our i4, pleasantly surprised with both the range and efficiency numbers compared to the stated EPA stats. Honestly, the i4’s efficiency is absolutely in the ballpark of my Lucid. Of course the Lucid does suffer from a 500lb weight disadvantage relative to the i4, but the i4 is still a very efficient EV.
That's of one of the reasons that BMW sold 83,000 i4's last year(2023) even with its prominent nose.

I have been pleasantly surprised that the range on my wife's i4M50 is pretty much on par with the rated EPA numbers.

I love my GT but won't take it on a long trip. The infrastructure for non-Tesla's is horrible. When I have taken the GT on a long trip i.e. 275 miles or more, I never get over 300 miles of range based on my driving habit and that's OK, kinda. However, when pulling into an Electrified America charging station, either the stations do not work or all the 350kw chargers are throttled down to 150kw. Therefore, there is no point in taking the GT on a long drive since the charging stations are so unreliable. I take my Tesla instead where the every charging station works. EA better get there shit together.
are you aware that there are many other options for charging other than EA chargers? do you use www.plugshare.com?
with a little advance planning you can drive almost anywhere in the US with your car.

That's because, as we learned, you drive 95 🤣

Only once have I had an issue with EA. 150 stations usually supply 165+ and 350 stations (unless less than 20F) regularly supply 200kw (Pure AWD).

I drive on comfort in a GT and go about speed limit and I get 3.6 on average with 21s. What am I doing wrong?

Back