Poll: When will Lucid open Gravity Orders?

When will Lucid open Gravity Orders?

• Total voters
Let’s not move the goalposts, please. Lucid has not said it plans on “customer deliveries” by the end of the year, but rather the “start of production.”

Actually, Lucid executives have said on several occasions that they were on track to start customer deliveries before the end of 2024. One of those occasions was an interview Peter Rawlinson gave "The Verge" at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August:

"The automaker’s Gravity SUV is on track for its first customer deliveries later in 2024, Peter Rawlinson says."

"Rawlinson said that the first Gravity buyers should receive their cars before the end of the year, with the company’s factory ramping up to full production speed through the beginning of 2025."

Actually, Lucid executives have said on several occasions that they were on track to start customer deliveries before the end of 2024. One of those occasions was an interview Peter Rawlinson gave "The Verge" at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August:

"The automaker’s Gravity SUV is on track for its first customer deliveries later in 2024, Peter Rawlinson says."

"Rawlinson said that the first Gravity buyers should receive their cars before the end of the year, with the company’s factory ramping up to full production speed through the beginning of 2025."

Notwithstanding your use of quotation marks, that is a journalist's paraphrasing. The company's statements to the market before and after the Pebble Beach event have specified "start of production" in 2024, and analysts don't expect deliveries until 2025.

I can't wait for Gravity to arrive, either. But I don't think it's correct to suggest that it's behind schedule.

Still plenty of time to go into production and get a few cars delivered this side of Xmas.

Notwithstanding your use of quotation marks, that is a journalist's paraphrasing. The company's statements to the market before and after the Pebble Beach event have specified "start of production" in 2024, and analysts don't expect deliveries until 2025.

I can't wait for Gravity to arrive, either. But I don't think it's correct to suggest that it's behind schedule.

You initially wrote, "Lucid has not said it plans on 'customer deliveries' by the end of the year . . . . "

I agree that the plan now seems to be no deliveries until 2025 and that all current talk is about "start of production". But that was not my point. Lucid executives were, in fact, saying at one point that there would be customer deliveries in late 2024.

Here is one of Lucid's social media posts from Reddit in which 2024 deliveries are again mentioned:

Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 9.28.58 AM.webp

P. S. I used quotation marks because I was quoting a phrase from a news article. It was neither misleading nor meant to be. It was the proper use of quotation marks to designate the use of someone else's words.

Still plenty of time to go into production and get a few cars delivered this side of Xmas.

Yes, there may be time. But instead of building toward an announcement of first deliveries, Lucid communications seem to be going the other way right now with the pulling of this "Final Validation" episode.

Being realistic, we're just 11 weeks before year end . . . and we have seen no final specs, no EPA rating, no order configurator.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'd much rather Lucid take the time to nail everything down than to stick to a self-imposed deadline and put out a product not quite ready for prime time.

Yes, there may be time. But instead of building toward an announcement of first deliveries, Lucid communications seem to be going the other way right now with the pulling of this "Final Validation" episode.

Being realistic, we're just 11 weeks before year end . . . and we have seen no final specs, no EPA rating, no order configurator.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'd much rather Lucid take the time to nail everything down than to stick to a self-imposed deadline and put out a product not quite ready for prime time.
Just because nothing is announced doesn't mean that things aren't going on in the background and ready to be switched on the moment its announced. 11 weeks is a long time in the scheme of things. From the snippets of information i've been hearing/reading is it sounds like the moment the announcement happens it could be going straight to order. Peter has made it pretty clear that reservations months or years in advance prove no value and we saw the conversion rate on the Air was pretty bad so all signs point to going straight to ordering.

The lineup could be announced in November with the first run of cars hitting the production line and coming off the line in December. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened to the first Airs where the deliveries happened at Lucid HQ meaning they can speed up the delivery process for the first batch of cars. Technically, Lucid only has to deliver ONE car to say deliveries started in 2024. Who knows, we may see the first 20 come off the line to be taken delivery at HQ and then that's it for 2024 with a ramp up starting in January.

Its all speculation of course but i'd be surprised if its not clarified in the next earnings call. The fact the stores are all getting the swatches etc means we're very close. I would be surprised if Lucid didn't deliver some cars this side of Christmas though. I was hoping we'd have some idea of configurations \ costs by now but also am fully aware that Lucid keeps its cards very close to its chest so just seems we all need to be patient for just a little longer.

Just because nothing is announced doesn't mean that things aren't going on in the background and ready to be switched on the moment its announced. 11 weeks is a long time in the scheme of things. From the snippets of information i've been hearing/reading is it sounds like the moment the announcement happens it could be going straight to order. Peter has made it pretty clear that reservations months or years in advance prove no value and we saw the conversion rate on the Air was pretty bad so all signs point to going straight to ordering.

The lineup could be announced in November with the first run of cars hitting the production line and coming off the line in December. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened to the first Airs where the deliveries happened at Lucid HQ meaning they can speed up the delivery process for the first batch of cars. Technically, Lucid only has to deliver ONE car to say deliveries started in 2024. Who knows, we may see the first 20 come off the line to be taken delivery at HQ and then that's it for 2024 with a ramp up starting in January.

Its all speculation of course but i'd be surprised if its not clarified in the next earnings call. The fact the stores are all getting the swatches etc means we're very close. I would be surprised if Lucid didn't deliver some cars this side of Christmas though. I was hoping we'd have some idea of configurations \ costs by now but also am fully aware that Lucid keeps its cards very close to its chest so just seems we all need to be patient for just a little longer.
I've been assuming all along that they'd deliver a handful of vehicles to a small group of special customers at a big delivery event right before the end of the year to meet their original goal. The rest of us plebians would then get them at some point in 2025.

Anyone think Lucid might start orders with an "invite-only" link in an email to current owners? I know current owners have priority so I'd be curious if they take that approach or have a big launch date for all to access. I think if the latter, Lucid could run into issues with getting Gravity's to customers on a short enough timeline (like what happened with Air launch) who aren't Air owners thus leading to order cancellations. Unless they can demonstrate the ability to pump out thousands a month to meet demand right away. IF Lucid sends exclusive invites to Air Owners, please share the details :)

I think everyone is overestimating initial orders. Sure there will be a group of initial orders. But I don't see the buzz being as great as before Air deliveries. Plus that was a different time. Everyone was expecting large growth in BEV sales with limited models. Now everyone sees growth will be more orderly and there are a larger number of BEV models available. Yes some current owners are clamoring for the Gravity but outside of that I expect Gravity demand to be modest and steadily grow as the vehicles are delivered.

Just because nothing is announced doesn't mean that things aren't going on in the background and ready to be switched on the moment its announced.

This is certainly a possibility. But consider "The Road to Lucid Gravity" series. It followed the logical sequence of the vehicle's development, ending with Episode 15's "Final Validation" video, representing the last step before putting the car into production. It was a carefully choreographed buildup toward an announcement, accompanied by the drum roll of final validation before the cymbal crash of a delivery date announcement. And then the drum roll suddenly stopped. The video was taken down, and silence ensued. I hope it's just a fly, but my guess is something has fallen into the ointment.

11 weeks is a long time in the scheme of things. From the snippets of information i've been hearing/reading is it sounds like the moment the announcement happens it could be going straight to order.

As someone who lived through almost four years of sitting out a reservation for the Air (and longer for a Rivian R1S), I understand the logic of going straight from announcement to order. However, I don't see 11 weeks as such a long time. One of the things that got a lot of people comfortable with getting in line for an Air before any were available for test drives was a stream of reviews from an array of reputable auto journalists. Not taking reservations is one thing. It is another thing to expect people to commit to an order for a vehicle most cannot test drive, many cannot even see in the flesh, and without even the independent opinions of seasoned automotive reviewers.

The fact the stores are all getting the swatches etc means we're very close. I would be surprised if Lucid didn't deliver some cars this side of Christmas though.

Actually, the swatches going out to the Design Studios are the same four sets that were at the L.A. Auto Show almost a year ago. Lucid has announced a fifth interior color palette, and nothing has been seen or even described of it yet in public.

You might be right that at least some Gravities will get delivered by Christmas. But my guess is the timeline will be so tight to meet that deadline that they can only get to customers who: pay cash (i. e., don't need time to arrange financing), live on the West Coast (transport times), and will take cars equipped as they come off the production line without choice of colors or options (no production planning cycle time).

I was hoping we'd have some idea of configurations \ costs by now but also am fully aware that Lucid keeps its cards very close to its chest . . . .

I have almost the opposite impression of Lucid in this regard. With both the Air and the Gravity, I do not remember ever having seen and heard so much from the manufacturer about a vehicle during its development stage. "Throttle House", "Top Gear", and other press outlets were allowed independent drives of beta prototypes, a production-representative version of the car (instead of the usual "concept" vehicle) has been on display at the L.A. Auto Show and other major venues for almost a year, we have been taken on deep dives by Erich Bach and Derek Jenkins on the engineering and design of the car for some months.

I have waited out the arrival of many new cars over the years after their early teases, and never have I known as much about them before their arrival as I have known about the Air and the Gravity. And for this I applaud Lucid heartily.

. . . we all need to be patient for just a little longer.

I spent a career trying to predict outcomes from circumstantial or only partially-revealed information. Unfortunately, it's a habit I now bring to watching Lucid, perhaps a bit too obsessively.

I admit I have been mightily impatient for the arrival of the Gravity for some months. However, lately things have taken on a different color. I am still hopelessly hooked on our Air Dream, but over the past couple of months I have become more mindful of the teething pains I lived through with an early-production Lucid, especially on the software front, but also on quite a few hardware issues. I do not want to go through that again with a Gravity. And, as a stockholder in the company, I do not want Lucid to experience the reputation hit it took for some of those early Air hiccoughs.

Thus I would much rather Lucid take the press hit for delaying Gravity deliveries a bit longer than the much harder and more lasting hit they would take from taking the bread out of the oven too soon this time.

Anyone think Lucid might start orders with an "invite-only" link in an email to current owners? I know current owners have priority so I'd be curious if they take that approach or have a big launch date for all to access. I think if the latter, Lucid could run into issues with getting Gravity's to customers on a short enough timeline (like what happened with Air launch) who aren't Air owners thus leading to order cancellations. Unless they can demonstrate the ability to pump out thousands a month to meet demand right away. IF Lucid sends exclusive invites to Air Owners, please share the details :)
Who says they haven't sent those e-mails out already?!?!?:eek:

Let the rumors commence!

It's unrealistic to have even single Gravity delivered to the end customer by the EoY IMHO. Before this to happen several administrative procedures have to be done, and some of these procedures like EPA ratings have to be performed on exact specs (at least for some specs).
To have this all done, start production and deliver a vehicle to a customer by the EoY, Lucid should have already started production, just produce "not for end customers" cars now.

It's unrealistic to have even single Gravity delivered to the end customer by the EoY IMHO. Before this to happen several administrative procedures have to be done, and some of these procedures like EPA ratings have to be performed on exact specs (at least for some specs).
To have this all done, start production and deliver a vehicle to a customer by the EoY, Lucid should have already started production, just produce "not for end customers" cars now.
My car was one of the first Tourings. Manufactured in November. Delivered to me December 24th. There were also exactly 6 Pures delivered around the same time. They did this in order to say they had met their goal of shipping both trims by the end of the year.

There's still time. Particularly if they hand pick the folks they want to deliver to (yes, they will live in CA) and give them exactly one configuration from which to choose, like they did with the Pure. One color. One interior. Crank out a half dozen and hold a press event to "deliver" them. Totally doable.

Not saying they will. Just that they could. Unless there really is some sort of monkey wrench in the works right now with the pre-production cars.

Back