Plugging In

Viking

Cars
Fathom Blue 2023 Pure
I just bought a Lucid Pure. I've had my Pure for about 3 weeks. I've had a Tesla for about 7 years.

I must say the plugging experience on the Tesla was never a problem. Simple and easy. But, I'm having trouble with EA and my car. I've only charged it twice so far, once at two different locations. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. When I bring over the plug to the car the orientation is 180 degrees off. I need to twist the cord 180 degrees in insert into my car. That does not seem right. I'm nervous about the torque placed on the power inlet. It charges, no problem. Anyone seen this or know what I'm doing wrong? I mention the Tesla since I never had to twist the cord 180 degrees to plug in. On the EA 350 kW chargers, with their thick cords, twisting is difficult. I don't have a problem with the Lucid mobile adaptor.

I just bought a Lucid Pure. I've had my Pure for about 3 weeks. I've had a Tesla for about 7 years.

I must say the plugging experience on the Tesla was never a problem. Simple and easy. But, I'm having trouble with EA and my car. I've only charged it twice so far, once at two different locations. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. When I bring over the plug to the car the orientation is 180 degrees off. I need to twist the cord 180 degrees in insert into my car. That does not seem right. I'm nervous about the torque placed on the power inlet. It charges, no problem. Anyone seen this or know what I'm doing wrong? I mention the Tesla since I never had to twist the cord 180 degrees to plug in. On the EA 350 kW chargers, with their thick cords, twisting is difficult. I don't have a problem with the Lucid mobile adaptor.
I don't have to twist the EA CCS plug 180 degrees, are the two large DC ports on the bottom of your charge port and the AC J1772 on top?

Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

What do you mean by rotate 180 degrees?

Can you take a picture of your charging port?

Thanks for the replies. The charging port on the car is fine. The standard J1772 on the top, and the two high power pins on the bottom.

Imagine holding the EA charging cable in your hand and the two high power pins on the top, and the J1772 type on the bottom. To get the right orientation to plug in I needed to rotate ('twist") the charging "hose" 180 degrees. I'll try it a third time and get pics next time I charge.

Thanks for the replies. The charging port on the car is fine. The standard J1772 on the top, and the two high power pins on the bottom.

Imagine holding the EA charging cable in your hand and the two high power pins on the top, and the J1772 type on the bottom. To get the right orientation to plug in I needed to rotate ('twist") the charging "hose" 180 degrees. I'll try it a third time and get pics next time I charge.
I get what you are saying. I’ve had this happen, where the cable was fairly short, and I had parked a bit too far, so that the charge port was technically in range, but I had to pull the cable and “twist” it a bit to get it to face upright. Wasn’t exactly comfortable.

Now I try to line up my charge port as close to the cable as possible, so there isn’t so much tension needed.

I've never been to an EA site where the DC pins are on the top.

I've never been to an EA site where the DC pins are on the top.
Yeah, 180 degrees I’ve never seen. Definitely need a video of this.

Weird. I have noticed EVGo has far better cables on extendable ropes, so it doesn’t have this issue at all. It’s a better design for sure.

The cable was plenty long enough. I thought perhaps which side of the charger I parked may make a difference? Anyway, next time pic/video evidence. I must be doing something wrong. I parked on the side of the EA charger with the screen on the other side from my car.

The cable was plenty long enough. I thought perhaps which side of the charger I parked may make a difference? Anyway, next time pic/video evidence. I must be doing something wrong. I parked on the side of the EA charger with the screen on the other side from my car.
Some EA chargers are positioned such that they simply won’t reach. Park at one where the charge port is right near the unit on the same side.

Some EA chargers are positioned such that they simply won’t reach. Park at one where the charge port is right near the unit on the same side.
What’s odd is the newer EA 350s in my area all have the charging handles on the right side of the charger yet the overwhelming majority of cars have their ports on the right (passenger) side of the car. This makes the reach much longer, although doable.

Back