Petty repair cost

nanceesmike

Cars
2022 Lucid Air Grand Tour
Hi all,
Im new to the forum. I took delivery of my GT Air about a month ago. Mine is white with Tahoe interior. I picked up my Air from Beverly Hills and received great treatment from Daniel and the other team members.

So far I have about 900 miles on my car which I think was car number 813. Overall, the Air is everything I expected and more. The software is a bit glitchy but nothing surprising. The car doesn’t always lock and unlock with the fob and the trunk hydraulic isn’t reliable. I have a Lucid tech coming out to my home next week to make some fixes.

But I do have an issue that bothers me. A small rubber air dam detached from under the chassis near the driver side wheel well. I noticed it hanging so I removed it to avoid losing it. Really no big deal.

So I called customer care to get it replaced which they are happy to do for $129. Now I just spent $150,000 on this car a month ago. Am I responsible for road conditions causing the dam to detach? I dunno. Maybe I am. But maybe it’s poorly designed or maybe it was improperly attached to begin with. But does Lucid need this $129 that badly? Maybe they should think about me as a goodwill ambassador for the Air (no shortage of people asking me about the car) and take care of me like the good customer I am. My previous car was an S class Mercedes and Mercedes always treated me generously and professionally. This Lucid customer care group is a big disappointment to me.

So I’m paying the $129 because Lucid insists this is my fault.

Ouch. My best to all and I hope your service issues go better than mine.

That does seem pretty strange. It will be interesting in the near future to see if the problem arises in other Airs….

Service is usually much better then that, it’s really odd that they are making you pay for that part. I’d push back hard.

If it’s sort of a shark-fin shaped piece that projects down in front of each front tire I remember someone else on the forum having that issue a while back, and Lucid replaced for free.

If it’s sort of a shark-fin shaped piece that projects down in front of each front tire I remember someone else on the forum having that issue a while back, and Lucid replaced for free.
Yea pretty sure that was @hmp10

I pushed them to the point of aggravation. It was so important it ran up the chain to upper management. God knows what it cost them to make this inane decision. This points to their customer care culture. It just wasn’t worth my time. But again, I’m disappointed that a high end car comes with such low end decision making.

I pushed them to the point of aggravation. It was so important it ran up the chain to upper management. God knows what it cost them to make this inane decision. This points to their customer care culture. It just wasn’t worth my time. But again, I’m disappointed that a high end car comes with such low end decision making.
Even if you were completely wrong, that is a strange hill for them to die on.

Even if you were completely wrong, that is a strange hill for them to die on.
I can see both sides, especially because you know how often people will be scraping that part without even knowing? I only really started to pay attention to dips and curbs after @hmp10 tore his off and had it replaced. It's part of the aero.

Every piece they replace for free is lost revenue regardless the cost. But, I do understand, that maybe this should be pointed out to be careful for new owners

I can see both sides, especially because you know how often people will be scraping that part without even knowing? I only really started to pay attention to dips and curbs after @hmp10 tore his off and had it replaced. It's part of the aero.

Every piece they replace for free is lost revenue regardless the cost. But, I do understand, that maybe this should be pointed out to be careful for new owners
A few more posts like that and a few of us customers waiting to confirm may well lose interest. How much will that eventually cost them.

I can see both sides as well. Everything is situational and I bet that 3 different representatives would have handled it 3 different ways.

I loved the old Apple Customer support and think that so much of their success stems from how they addressed customer service when it mattered the most.

My experience with service is completely different. My window tint tech forgot to plug in the right rear window when he put the door panel back together. I brought it in to Lucid and it was fixed with no charge but the service manager knew exactly what happened. Lucid would have been justified in charging me their labor but just waived it.

The ironic part of this story is that @hydbob told me about window tint people not plugging in his window about an hour after I had dropped the car off at the service center.

Had my first service appointment today because I noticed that my windshield wipers were missing a streak (hadn’t tried them until today). I called them in the afternoon about the problem and they sent a tech out the same evening. Ordered new windshield wipers and also adjusted a few very minor fit and finish issues that I had which didn’t really bother me but since he was there I asked and they were simple fixes. Overall extremely responsive and pleasant experience. The guy even gave me his number and told me to just text him if I have some minor issues and he might be able to just swing by and fix it, saving me a call with customer care.

As much as I hate to say it, my experience with Beverly Hills customer service has been unnerving. I have a short list of issues on the car that I need addressed but I just don’t want to deal with them. They were overly polite at first but as the problems grew and they didn’t have answers, managers didn’t return our calls. The guy I was dealing with didn’t have a basic awareness about EV’s —not entirely his fault as Lucid hired someone from the hospitality industry. Some interactions were what I consider shady, as more than one person wd be on a phone call but they never would say so.

Hi all,
Im new to the forum. I took delivery of my GT Air about a month ago. Mine is white with Tahoe interior. I picked up my Air from Beverly Hills and received great treatment from Daniel and the other team members.

So far I have about 900 miles on my car which I think was car number 813. Overall, the Air is everything I expected and more. The software is a bit glitchy but nothing surprising. The car doesn’t always lock and unlock with the fob and the trunk hydraulic isn’t reliable. I have a Lucid tech coming out to my home next week to make some fixes.

But I do have an issue that bothers me. A small rubber air dam detached from under the chassis near the driver side wheel well. I noticed it hanging so I removed it to avoid losing it. Really no big deal.

So I called customer care to get it replaced which they are happy to do for $129. Now I just spent $150,000 on this car a month ago. Am I responsible for road conditions causing the dam to detach? I dunno. Maybe I am. But maybe it’s poorly designed or maybe it was improperly attached to begin with. But does Lucid need this $129 that badly? Maybe they should think about me as a goodwill ambassador for the Air (no shortage of people asking me about the car) and take care of me like the good customer I am. My previous car was an S class Mercedes and Mercedes always treated me generously and professionally. This Lucid customer care group is a big disappointment to me.

So I’m paying the $129 because Lucid insists this is my fault.

Ouch. My best to all and I hope your service issues go better than mine.
Can you post a picture as reference?

E66BFAA2-E461-4893-AA02-0FB44FBB874E.jpeg
yesterday, I went do PPF, they taped this area to show me underneath damage before coating. I’m sure it happened when I was going up ramp to my driveway with low bearing of this car. Ouch! When I zoom in camera to document it. It hasn’t annoy me yet, I hope nothing get detached later, I’m not sure if this is related to @nanceesmike issue.

. . . maybe this should be pointed out to be careful for new owners

Yes, it should. The Air is a very low-slung car for aero reasons, and those airfoils ahead of the front wheels will not clear many concrete parking stops. (They only have 3 1/8" of ground clearance.) The simulated bird's-eye camera view displays the side lines of parking spots very clearly, but the resolution seems lower at the front of the car, perhaps because it's doing calculations against objects with less contrast between them than the paint lines. (When I pull in to my garage I get a clear view and an accurate measure of the distance to objects in front of the car. When pulling up to a cement bumpstop in front of a concrete curb things get very fuzzy.)

I have learned to stay further away from a concrete bump stop than the camera suggests I should, and I've had no problems since. However, this is not something an owner ought to have to figure out by trial and error, because the trials might cost you a service visit.

I have had 3 SL550’s and have learned not to park as close as I do in other cars. Every SL I have looked at has major scrape marks under the front bumper. Luckily the scrapes cannot be seen from eye level.

I do remember a long time ago my wife was driving my BMW and backed out of a space and saw the bumper still attached to the concrete parking stop. Whoops!

I'd guess she heard something, too? :rolleyes:

View attachment 2023 yesterday, I went do PPF, they taped this area to show me underneath damage before coating. I’m sure it happened when I was going up ramp to my driveway with low bearing of this car. Ouch! When I zoom in camera to document it. It hasn’t annoy me yet, I hope nothing get detached later, I’m not sure if this is related to @nanceesmike issue.

That looks to me like a scrape from the side instead of from below. As I discovered, the airfoil under that trim piece breaks away fairly easily (probably to keep from tearing off other components higher up), and it seems to have survived.

Back