Petty repair cost

Yep, always have to watch this on my M5 and on my '73 Mustang with its' chin spoiler. I really hate that sound...

Peter is really good at making movies. He needs to make a movie for his service team on how to treat the customer. This is BS. I would be surprised if the true cost to Lucid is more than $25 dollars. A smart rep would have at least offered to share the cost. Companies are represented by two people. The CEO and the service advisor. Either one can sink the ship.

Maybe it’s just my perspective, but this wasn’t a piece of trim which fell off because it wasn’t designed or installed properly. I cracked the front fairing on my M3 on a parking block the other year. It was my misjudgement and I certainly wouldn’t expect BMW to repair it for free. Again, just my opinion…

Maybe it’s just my perspective, but this wasn’t a piece of trim which fell off because it wasn’t designed or installed properly. I cracked the front fairing on my M3 on a parking block the other year. It was my misjudgement and I certainly wouldn’t expect BMW to repair it for free. Again, just my opinion…
I agree. Would not expect BMW to fix anything I break although my local BMW dealer has treated me right. This is more about a new company that sells directly to customers and needs to establish itself as a high end vehicle manufacturer that treats its customers right. In today's internet connected world, bad news can deliver a lot of bad PR that can cost a company a lot more than the price of a plastic piece.

I misunderstood the issue, this looks like damage that was accidentally caused, but is still the owner's responsibility.

It is still a very strange thing for Lucid to dig in on, considering all the courtesy things they are doing.

I misunderstood the issue, this looks like damage that was accidentally caused, but is still the owner's responsibility.

It is still a very strange thing for Lucid to dig in on, considering all the courtesy things they are doing.

There are a lot of dips at intersections around my house (to let water run). I managed to shred my belly pan on my last car (MSport suspension is somewhat low). The dealership split the cost with me as a courtesy. I did realize that it was my fault and not the cars.

Yes, it should. The Air is a very low-slung car for aero reasons, and those airfoils ahead of the front wheels will not clear many concrete parking stops. (They only have 3 1/8" of ground clearance.) The simulated bird's-eye camera view displays the side lines of parking spots very clearly, but the resolution seems lower at the front of the car, perhaps because it's doing calculations against objects with less contrast between them than the paint lines. (When I pull in to my garage I get a clear view and an accurate measure of the distance to objects in front of the car. When pulling up to a cement bumpstop in front of a concrete curb things get very fuzzy.)

I have learned to stay further away from a concrete bump stop than the camera suggests I should, and I've had no problems since. However, this is not something an owner ought to have to figure out by trial and error, because the trials might cost you a service visit.
This is why I like the air suspension on my Model S. It will auto raise on location. Wish that the Lucid had air suspension as well.

This is why I like the air suspension on my Model S. It will auto raise on location. Wish that the Lucid had air suspension as well.

It's true that an air suspension would give the Lucid adjustable ride height. However, after having an air suspension on our 2015 Model S P90D and on our 2021 Model S Plaid, I prefer the handling and ride of the Air's coil spring setup.

When pulling up to a cement bumpstop in front of a concrete curb things get very fuzzy.)

I have learned to stay further away from a concrete bump stop than the camera suggests I should, and I've had no problems since. However, this is not something an owner ought to have to figure out by trial and error, because the trials might cost you a service visit.
I avoid that by tapping on which camera I want to zoom on in the 360 view. Also in the upper screen there’s the zoom button and for me it’s not a fuzzy image, you can see the bump curbs pretty well.

I avoid that by tapping on which camera I want to zoom on in the 360 view. Also in the upper screen there’s the zoom button and for me it’s not a fuzzy image, you can see the bump curbs pretty well.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

It's true that an air suspension would give the Lucid adjustable ride height. However, after having an air suspension on our 2015 Model S P90D and on our 2021 Model S Plaid, I prefer the handling and ride of the Air's coil spring setup.
True, but generally Tesla’s suspension design is not the best around. I think Lucid could execute air suspension that is better than Tesla’s air suspension if they wanted to.

True, but generally Tesla’s suspension design is not the best around. I think Lucid could execute air suspension that is better than Tesla’s air suspension if they wanted to.

I'm pretty sure Lucid could do a better air suspension than Tesla. However, air suspensions still respond more slowly to changes in the road surface due to hysteresis lag and are more prone to failure. When paired with semi-adaptive dampers in a properly engineered system, coil spring setups can be as compliant as air suspensions while yielding better control. I owned three Audi R8's, all of which used coil spring / semi-active damper setups at a time when less expensive Audi's were using air suspensions. The R8's were noted for their superb balance of ride and handling prowess.

Really about all you lose by not having an air suspension is ride height adjustment. However, if that really is an issue because of weather, road, or driveway conditions, there is a good case for accepting the compromises of an air suspension to get that utility. The ideal solution for customers would be to offer both options on the Air, as Tesla once did with the Model S.

I'm pretty sure Lucid could do a better air suspension than Tesla. However, air suspensions still respond more slowly to changes in the road surface due to hysteresis lag and are more prone to failure. When paired with semi-adaptive dampers in a properly engineered system, coil spring setups can be as compliant as air suspensions while yielding better control. I owned three Audi R8's, all of which used coil spring / semi-active damper setups at a time when less expensive Audi's were using air suspensions. The R8's were noted for their superb balance of ride and handling prowess.

Really about all you lose by not having an air suspension is ride height adjustment. However, if that really is an issue because of weather, road, or driveway conditions, there is a good case for accepting the compromises of an air suspension to get that utility. The ideal solution for customers would be to offer both options on the Air, as Tesla once did with the Model S.
I would not be surprised to see an aftermarket front end lift system like the one that was offered on the Porsche GT3 before Porsche started offering as well

Back