P variant of Grand Touring with over 1,000hp?

I'm sure if you ask @hmp10 if he would rather have the Plaid vs the GTP even at its price . . . .

Oh, I'd take the GT-P over the Plaid any day of the week, price notwithstanding. The Air is simply a better car . . . and it even has a steering wheel!

Oh, I'd take the GT-P over the Plaid any day of the week, price notwithstanding. The Air is simply a better car . . . and it even has a steering wheel!
Oops yea meant the other way around!

It seems like the performance difference over a GT would only be noticeable on a timed drag strip or racetrack.

I’m sure there are hardware differences (not software alone). If not, Tesla is furiously working to update the price of their OTA performance boost from $2k to $40k :)

The Air now offers configurations from $77k to $189k- a $112k delta! I can’t think of another mass produced (ok… eventually mass produced) car model with such a wide price range?

Wow! Just read the marketing info on the Lucid web site for the GT Performance. Here is my take:

The Dream Edition is no more. Lucid wanted to have a hot new super car first off the production line in limited edition so the DE owners can say they had the "first Edition". The GT Performance will replace the DE.
The reduction of HP rating and range of the GT-P from the DE-P is in line with the difference between the DE and GT. This because the DE used Samsung battery cells and the GT used LGChem cells, which had slightly lower energy capacity than the Samsung cells(112 kwh vs. 118kwh). Thus, ALL Lucid Air going forward will use the LGChem cells. After all, Lucid has a long term contract with LGChem so I guess that makes sense.
Have you noticed that all the Lucid Air models with the large battery pack have a top speed limit of 168 mph? Not a coincidence. The cars all have a speed limiter embedded in the inverter controls. You should all read the story on the website from July 10, 2017, where they did a speed test on a prototype car with the SPEED LIMITER DISABLED! The car reached a top speed of 235 mph! Yeah, the car was stripped down and probably used a small battery pack to shed a 1000 or more pounds of weight. It makes you wonder what this production car could do, however.

It is my belief that all the Lucid air cars (except maybe the Pure) use the same motor. Each model has variable HP rating achieved probably through variable frequency controls in the inverter as well as the speed limiter noted earlier.
Why should they build a bunch of different motors when they can change the HP ratings, and range capacities with just a few tweaks of the inverter software to make different "model" performance characteristics? Can't wait till somebody hacks the inverter software to bring the HP and speed up to the true full performance of this motor!

Bingo

A smaller battery pack would have reduced current to drive the motors. (This is the main reason for the power step down in going to the smaller battery pack in the production line up.) Also, weight has more to do with acceleration rate than with top speed. I'm pretty sure getting to 235 mph required Lucid to use the biggest battery pack available.

The 168-mph electronic limit was chosen to comport with the speed rating of the tires. Our Tesla Model S Plaid has the same speed limit setting.

The Dream Edition uses a unique rear motor with a special metallurgy that increases hp by 15 and torque by an unspecified amount. (I have this information from Zak Edson, the VP of Lucid Sales & Service.)

I'm sure there is a component that is different. Its probably small and easily swapped in/on the motor. Mind you it can fit in a carry-on bag. Compared to an ICE a motors output can be controlled through varying voltage and/or the current. 15hp is what 1.5%?

It seems like the performance difference over a GT would only be noticeable on a timed drag strip or racetrack.

I’m sure there are hardware differences (not software alone). If not, Tesla is furiously working to update the price of their OTA performance boost from $2k to $40k :)

The Air now offers configurations from $77k to $189k- a $112k delta! I can’t think of another mass produced (ok… eventually mass produced) car model with such a wide price range?
Porsche?

A smaller battery pack would have reduced current to drive the motors. (This is the main reason for the power step down in going to the smaller battery pack in the production line up.) Also, weight has more to do with acceleration rate than with top speed. I'm pretty sure getting to 235 mph required Lucid to use the biggest battery pack available.

The 168-mph electronic limit was chosen to comport with the speed rating of the tires. Our Tesla Model S Plaid has the same speed limit setting.

The Dream Edition uses a unique rear motor with a special metallurgy that increases hp by 15 and torque by an unspecified amount. (I have this information from Zak Edson, the VP of Lucid Sales & Service.)
Sorry, but I disagree with your statement. The heavier the car the more HP is required to maintain speed. Remember, the speed test was done to find top speed only. It was not an acceleration test. If you watch the video it took a long time to reach top speed. HP rating is a lot lower to maintain speed than to accelerate. To accelerate slowly from a speeding car does not require as much as much HP as a standing start. Thus they could have used a smaller battery pack to get to the top speed, it just takes longer to get there.
As for the top speed rating, you are right that it was due to the tire rating. But you missed the point. They can and do limit the speed. I would like to see a speed test with the GT with the speed limiter disabled and the HP made to top true HP. And slap on the high speed racing tires to really see what the GT can do!

As for the difference in motors between the DE and GT, did he tell you what the different metallurgy was? They m ay have used higher grade neodymiun magnets in the stator than what is

While conveniently ignoring the fact that they probably have to do this 50 times a year.

I'd much rather spend an extra 15-20 minutes at a charging station a few times a year on a road trip in order to save the dozens of gas stops I have to make over the course of a year with my ICE vehicle.
Not to mention the reduced cost, even with the insanely high electric prices in San Diego.

But.....Can you get it in grey or silver????? On the plus side, you can now get the 1000+ hp and choose your interior.

Just because the car in the video is Quantum Grey doesn't mean they can mass produce it. We have fallen for that one before.

This guy has your answer:

no-greysilver-for-e9642e3869.jpg

Wow! Just read the marketing info on the Lucid web site for the GT Performance. Here is my take:

The Dream Edition is no more. Lucid wanted to have a hot new super car first off the production line in limited edition so the DE owners can say they had the "first Edition". The GT Performance will replace the DE.
The reduction of HP rating and range of the GT-P from the DE-P is in line with the difference between the DE and GT. This because the DE used Samsung battery cells and the GT used LGChem cells, which had slightly lower energy capacity than the Samsung cells(112 kwh vs. 118kwh). Thus, ALL Lucid Air going forward will use the LGChem cells. After all, Lucid has a long term contract with LGChem so I guess that makes sense.
Have you noticed that all the Lucid Air models with the large battery pack have a top speed limit of 168 mph? Not a coincidence. The cars all have a speed limiter embedded in the inverter controls. You should all read the story on the website from July 10, 2017, where they did a speed test on a prototype car with the SPEED LIMITER DISABLED! The car reached a top speed of 235 mph! Yeah, the car was stripped down and probably used a small battery pack to shed a 1000 or more pounds of weight. It makes you wonder what this production car could do, however.

It is my belief that all the Lucid air cars (except maybe the Pure) use the same motor. Each model has variable HP rating achieved probably through variable frequency controls in the inverter as well as the speed limiter noted earlier.
Why should they build a bunch of different motors when they can change the HP ratings, and range capacities with just a few tweaks of the inverter software to make different "model" performance characteristics? Can't wait till somebody hacks the inverter software to bring the HP and speed up to the true full performance of this motor!

The reason it’s software limited is because there aren’t tires yet that are rated for >168mph at that weight. It’s only a matter of time.

Sorry, continuation of above post.

They may have used higher grade neodymium magnets in the stator instead of what is in the GT. But it is unlikely they would change the configuration of the motor itself. The higher grade magnets would be more costly as well. 15 % added HP is not much to brag about.

Well now I'm really glad I chose the limited edition Eureka Gold option for my Dream Edition P. This is beside the fact in my opinion it is the best looking color with the Quantum Grey with Tahoe interior my second choice. In any case with the AGTP now coming to market the exclusivity of the Dream Edition is much less a factor.

Well now I'm really glad I chose the limited edition Eureka Gold option for my Dream Edition P. This is beside the fact in my opinion it is the best looking color with the Quantum Grey with Tahoe interior my second choice. In any case with the AGTP now coming to market the exclusivity of the Dream Edition is much less a factor.

Not really, tbh, since it’s more expensive for less. The DE is still the flagship. I also way prefer the DE 21” wheels 🤷‍♂️

It's nice to see that Lucid was thinking about the exclusivity of the DEs when deciding on the P variant. Making new buyers pay more for less increases profitability nicely if anyone actually decides to buy a P variant.

Plus also, it turns out that @MidwestLucidDude was right!

Orders will rise from 17,000 to 30,000.
Delivered Dreams will be 750. Dream Editions are still coming out the factory door because Lucid is overwhelmed by Dream orders and decided to deliver more of this high margin item.
Grand Touring deliveries are delayed so they can pump out more of the Dream Editions because demand is so high.
Stock is back up to $55 as everyone is surprised by the news.
You heard it here first.

Back