OTA Updates... or lack thereof.

I asked the symbols to chat GPT and it said this:
“It sounds like a riddle! The clue might refer to Canada, as the red heel could symbolize the Canadian Mountie uniform, the full moon could represent the flag of Nunavut, and the beaver is a national symbol of Canada”

I asked the symbols to chat GPT and it said this:
“It sounds like a riddle! The clue might refer to Canada, as the red heel could symbolize the Canadian Mountie uniform, the full moon could represent the flag of Nunavut, and the beaver is a national symbol of Canada”
You may be onto something there…

I’m not sure “autonomous car business” is “decades” away. Waymo has been operating driverless vehicles for almost a decade already. And, I wouldn’t group autonomous driving as gimmick-y. Waymo’s cars are much safer than other crazy human drivers like myself according to their website:
  • An 85% reduction or 6.8 times lower crash rate involving any injury, from minor to severe and fatal cases (0.41 incidence per million miles for the Waymo Driver vs 2.78 for the human benchmark)
Interconnected autonomous vehicle standards, updated road signage, properly painted roads and accurate GPS mapping like GM’s Super Cruise are some of the things needed to exist before we make the full plunge. That, I believe, is what will take decades before mass-scale AVs exist like what I believe you are referring to.

Despite Elon’s best efforts to polarize the automotive industry, I do have to hand it to him. He is pushing other car manufacturers and non-automotive companies to eventually make car travel safer. Even if he’s a tad reckless about it now.
The hardware used in the commercial autonomous vehicles is very expensive and ugly looking too like the gigantic rotating wheel on the roof. In addition to that, we need a lot of other changes. When we drive we are noticing and hearing radio info about storms or road closures or hazards ahead or getting messages from people about the danger ahead, diIgital traffic signs, amber alerts and so on. All that info needs to come to the car. In addition each car will have the ability to send its status including that front camera image to the car behind for the car to look "through" a big truck in front of it. All the traffic signs will be transmitting their info to the cars. All the cars will have an OEM or after market Lidar(s), radars too. Alll this may take a decade or 2 as a minimum. Until then pure autonomous vehicles will be in restricted areas such as golf courses, gated communities, parking lots, warehouse to warehouse on freeways.... At my age, I will be surprised to see real door to door anywhere to anywhere autonomous driving vehicles in my lifetime.

The hardware used in the commercial autonomous vehicles is very expensive and ugly looking too like the gigantic rotating wheel on the roof. In addition to that, we need a lot of other changes. When we drive we are noticing and hearing radio info about storms or road closures or hazards ahead or getting messages from people about the danger ahead, diIgital traffic signs, amber alerts and so on. All that info needs to come to the car. In addition each car will have the ability to send its status including that front camera image to the car behind for the car to look "through" a big truck in front of it. All the traffic signs will be transmitting their info to the cars. All the cars will have an OEM or after market Lidar(s), radars too. Alll this may take a decade or 2 as a minimum. Until then pure autonomous vehicles will be in restricted areas such as golf courses, gated communities, parking lots, warehouse to warehouse on freeways.... At my age, I will be surprised to see real door to door anywhere to anywhere autonomous driving vehicles in my lifetime.
Have you tried the Waymo vehicles in SF? I was genuinely surprised; they’re very very good (within the region they know, of course).

Have you tried the Waymo vehicles in SF? I was genuinely surprised; they’re very very good (within the region they know, of course).
what i'm confused by is if they can handle SF craziness, why haven't they expanded to suburbs. Driving in South Bay is a piece of cake compared to SF.

I have faith in Waymo. I never had a chance to try though. What I was saying is that they have a very expensive and ugly sensor on the roof which none of us want. Also, most likely very high speed internet and very powerful computing hardware too. As you say, within the region they know.

Look at the amount of hardware and the redundancy.
Pre-mapped:
Compare this even to Lucid. There is one Lidar, front and rear radars, multiple cameras and parking sensors. They complement each other but
I don't think there is redundant hardware. Tesla is joke. Just cameras and redundancy is probably in the cloud.

Look at the amount of hardware and the redundancy.
Pre-mapped:
Compare this even to Lucid. There is one Lidar, front and rear radars, multiple cameras and parking sensors. They complement each other but
I don't think there is redundant hardware. Tesla is joke. Just cameras and redundancy is probably in the cloud.
I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

I was just saying Waymo is very impressive; I thought we were much further behind until I rode in one, and now I’m pretty bullish on us eventually getting there.

I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

I was just saying Waymo is very impressive; I thought we were much further behind until I rode in one, and now I’m pretty bullish on us eventually getting there.
I really hope that Lucid will far outperform Tesla and not take too long to match them.

I’ve rode in them in Phoenix. REALLY good. That was my gist in the original post; it’s here already just in a very controlled way. But, they are in the wild driving next to you in SF and Phoenix area.

I really hope that Lucid will far outperform Tesla and not take too long to match them.
I don’t think lucid has any desire to do FSD. What are they going to do with a single forward facing lidar? Waymo etc have 360 lidar because traffic can come from any direction. Forward facing lidar might be useful for allowing ACC/lane keep to work in inclement weather

I don’t think lucid has any desire to do FSD. What are they going to do with a single forward facing lidar? Waymo etc have 360 lidar because traffic can come from any direction. Forward facing lidar might be useful for allowing ACC/lane keep to work in inclement weather
I recall that lucid advertising level 4 ready. Level 4

I recall that lucid advertising level 4 ready. Level 4
They never said Level 4 as I recall. Level 3 was mentioned in the early days but all references of that disappeared pretty quickly.

They never said Level 4 as I recall. Level 3 was mentioned in the early days but all references of that disappeared pretty quickly.
This is what I remember is that the hardware was capable of level3. There was never a mention of level4.

View attachment 20329

Any guesses as to what this means?

Music Shuffle time?? Karaoke mode maybe? I hope not though since it's about as dumb as the fart modes in teslas lol

Second one...heels moon chipmunk...that seems less obvious?

Or mods @Bobby can you just tell us? :D
Riddles drive me nuts.... like, I don't even know why I'm still looking at this. My guess is the first one is something about charging, maybe updates to scheduled charging or faster charging.

Back