No fault fender bender at $15k

LucidSSS

Cars
AT
I realize there’s not too many posts about collision and experience with insurance yet so I’m posting my story and ask for advice for those that have gone through this.
In December I bought my Lucid Air Touring.
In February a lady backed into it while my car was parked while I was in a restaurant
She provided her insurance information and wanted to pay out of pocket. We explained we needed to go to a Lucid certified shop and get an estimate
The body shop estimated $15k for the bumper replacement and light replacement
Her insurance (liberty mutual) quoted $700

Any advice on what bureaucracy will ensue? Is this going to be a massive battle between shop and insurance?

As someone that had their brand new car in a no-fault fender bender, I want my car looking brand new and don’t believe I should be responsible for paying to make that happen. Any advice here to help make that happen?

Pics for damage
IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4018.jpeg

I realize there’s not too many posts about collision and experience with insurance yet so I’m posting my story and ask for advice for those that have gone through this.
In February a lady backed into it while my car was parked while I was in a restaurant
She provided her insurance information and wanted to pay out of pocket. We explained we needed to go to a Lucid certified shop and get an estimate

Any advice on what bureaucracy will ensue? Is this going to be a massive battle between shop and insurance?

As someone that had their brand new car in a no-fault fender bender, I want my car looking brand new and don’t believe I should be responsible for paying to make that happen. Any advice here to help make that happen?

Pics for damage View attachment 19085View attachment 19086
What state do you live in? Different states have different laws relating to what party covers how much of the damage.

You could be facing months of debauchery. I forgot the name of the insurance groups (State Farm or All State?) that drag their feet until threatened. No one on the insurance threads has mentioned Liberty Mutual.

You are the first as far as I know. Uphill is the only real answer.

Pics for damage View attachment 19085View attachment 19086
15k? For a bumper removal and repaint? That's ludicrous. When I had to get my bumper pulled and repainted and patched because there were 2 holes in it, the guy paid out of pocket, $1800.

15k? For a bumper removal and repaint? That's ludicrous. When I had to get my bumper pulled and repainted and patched because there were 2 holes in it, the guy paid out of pocket, $1800.
From a certified Lucid shop?

I have one other lucid shop by me (hour and change) I can seek a second opinion…
I can’t see it being 15k, but also can’t see it being $700 either…
Minimum is 2k

Can I ask did this method make it look brand new again?
The shop quoted is a total bumper replacement with also replacement of the light that’s damaged

I would be ok with going that route but only if the results restored my car.

Can I ask did this method make it look brand new again?
The shop quoted is a total bumper replacement with also replacement of the light that’s damaged

I would be ok with going that route but only if the results restored my car.
Yes, the body shop did a great job om the paint. Match was perfect.

20220828_101801.jpg

I just had mine replaced a month ago. Here is a realistic cost.
It cost a little less than $5k for me to replace the front bumper. The person's insurance who caused the accident paid for it.

Shoot me a msg and I can provide the details.

It is expensive to repair these high end vehicles and I am not surprised at the cost. I am going through a similar situation with my Air Pure where I got hit in a parking lot and something punched through the lower front end (I believe a snow plow) and damaged the "front module" which is just behind the bumper. I do not know if your front module was damaged similarly, but it wraps around the entire front end of the car just behind the bumper. There are lots of components attached to both the bumper and the front module- lights, cameras, sensors, etc. My repair estimate is $13,000. State Farm is paying it out as an Uninsured Motorists provision. I have had the same State Farm agent for 40 years, 5 cars, my house, my life insurance, so perhaps that has helped.

Good Luck. Not a fun experience.

Yeah but yours was the rear bumper and didn’t involve the light bar, and in addition to more hardware/panels/light bar there’s more front sensors as well that either need replacement or recalibration. My accident was similar to the author of this thread, light bar had to be replaced as once the seal is popped it’s done (the flexion of the bumper cause the seal to break, more noticeable with the frunk open). It cost 19K from Lucid certified shop. Insurance refused to pay the labor rates, which is in violation of their obligation to restore the car to a pre-collision state including warranty, as only a Lucid certified shop can do warranty work. @LucidSSS my insurance co Esurance totally ghosted the repair shop and rejected the supplement without giving any reason, so I reported them to the national insurance commissioner and one day later Esurance cut a check for the full repair and I dropped them as my insurer as soon as I picked up the car.

Yeah but yours was the rear bumper and didn’t involve the light bar, and in addition to more hardware/panels/light bar there’s more front sensors as well that either need replacement or recalibration. My accident was similar to the author of this thread, light bar had to be replaced as once the seal is popped it’s done (the flexion of the bumper cause the seal to break, more noticeable with the frunk open). It cost 19K from Lucid certified shop. Insurance refused to pay the labor rates, which is in violation of their obligation to restore the car to a pre-collision state including warranty, as only a Lucid certified shop can do warranty work. @LucidSSS my insurance co Esurance totally ghosted the repair shop and rejected the supplement without giving any reason, so I reported them to the national insurance commissioner and one day later Esurance cut a check for the full repair and I dropped them as my insurer as soon as I picked up the car.
It’s true. Having taken off both bumpers for the radar/laser install, the rear one is “unexciting.” There’s a little more space back there and not a ton in the way of electronics (don’t get me wrong, it’s still packed but much less so).

The front? Absurd. Zero space, nearly every nook and cranny is filled with something. Mounting the radar unit behind the bumper was a challenge, and I had to do it at an angle (which is fine, as radar is omnidirectional).

It does not surprise me that the front bumper would cost a lot more (and more might be damaged) than the rear bumper.

I had both my bumpers removed and repaired.

This was the bill for my front bumper

1000007532.jpg

Noice! In that case I hope it can be removed and repainted :)

But it is worth noting that a hit to the front bumper *may* damage a lot more than a hit to the rear.

I had both my bumpers removed and repaired.

This was the bill for my front bumper

View attachment 19123
Well damn if I get in another accident it would be cheaper to ship my car across country and have Chilton fix it than Hollis Auto Body here, though of course I think the light bar added a lot to the cost.

Back