Newer Teslas do not come with key fobs

thecodingart

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid AGT
Referral Code
JWJOWFN3
This is sort of expected, just hoping it does set a precedent with the rest of the industry. Apparently Tesla is only providing cards for “free” with newer Teslas while charging a premium of $175 for a key fob.

This has been in place for a while I believe. You get 2 cards only and if you want a fob then you need to cough up the $. It's certainly been the case for the Model 3 for 2 years so not surprised to see it pushing through to the S and X also.

I doubt Lucid will even consider doing this for the time being considering how many issues people are having with unlocking and locking the car. The fob seems the most reliable at this point.

This has been in place for a while I believe. You get 2 cards only and if you want a fob then you need to cough up the $. It's certainly been the case for the Model 3 for 2 years so not surprised to see it pushing through to the S and X also.

I doubt Lucid will even consider doing this for the time being considering how many issues people are having with unlocking and locking the car. The fob seems the most reliable at this point.
Yeah. My Model 3 didn’t come with a fob. And that was almost three years ago. Not surprised they would do the same for S and X customers.

I’ve been mostly happy using my phone as a key, so I never bothered getting a fob. I’m sure the thinking is why provide something that only some customers use? They likely have stats on how many customers use their phones instead.

Only Tesla could get away not giving a fob for a 100k car.

Have two that I got with my refresh Model S and have never once used them, so I agree with Tesla eliminating them.

This is sort of expected, just hoping it does set a precedent with the rest of the industry. Apparently Tesla is only providing cards for “free” with newer Teslas while charging a premium of $175 for a key fob.

Talk about true spirit of minimalism. 😂 😂 😂

Yeah. My Model 3 didn’t come with a fob. And that was almost three years ago. Not surprised they would do the same for S and X customers.

I’ve been mostly happy using my phone as a key, so I never bothered getting a fob. I’m sure the thinking is why provide something that only some customers use? They likely have stats on how many customers use their phones instead.
But sometimes, it’s nice to have fob to give to valet or a relative to drive. You can’t just give away your phone. I agree with @hydbob, only Tesla can get away with 100k+ car lack of that option.

Have two that I got with my refresh Model S and have never once used them, so I agree with Tesla eliminating them.
Mercedes doesn't give you a charging cable but they do give you two, four pound fobs! ;) :cool:

It’s like Apple eliminating buttons and accessories.
Not quite. In the case of Tesla, you now need an external qualifying device that you have to pay for in order to gain the benefits of proximity unlocks and remote car controls. Its quite narrow minded considering the goal of making EVs more accessible, not less.

But sometimes, it’s nice to have fob to give to valet or a relative to drive. You can’t just give away your phone. I agree with @hydbob, only Tesla can get away with 100k+ car lack of that option.
They give you two key cards. That's what I give to anyone else who needs to get into the car, like a detailer, etc.

They most definitely have analytics around this. The problem is less tied to current market usage and more tied to alienating accessibility of the car to others and degrading the overall experience. This is akin to what Netflix has done over the years honestly: http://hypercritical.co/2022/02/15/streaming-apps.

Raw usage numbers is an oversimplification of customer experience and needs.

They most definitely have analytics around this. The problem is less tied to current market usage and more tied to alienating accessibility of the car to others and degrading the overall experience. This is akin to what Netflix has done over the years honestly: http://hypercritical.co/2022/02/15/streaming-apps.

Raw usage numbers is an oversimplification of customer experience and needs.
Totally agree. Similar to when they ditched the lumbar support in their seats. The numbers may tell you "no one uses this" but the perception when you take this stuff away is that you're getting stingy. And Tesla already doesn't have a reputation for being luxury for the price.

When we took delivery of our Model S Plaid last August, we were given two key fobs and two key cards. We use the key fob routinely, as the mobile key is too iffy to rely on consistently. Sometimes, though, the key fob will not start the car although it opened the door. When that happens, the mobile key does not start the car, either. We have to take a key card out of a wallet and rub it over the wireless phone charger pad to start the car. Sometimes this will happen at every stop on a multiple errand run.

We've owned an EV since 2015. It's hard to accept that seven years later, with two new EVs in the garage, we still find getting into and starting our cars something of a crap shoot. Only our 2018 Honda Odyssey always lets us in and starts up without a contest of wills.

Same here.. With the Key Cards and Phone as a Key there is zero need for a keyfob and I have never used the 2 Fob's I got with my Model S which just sit in a kitchen drawer.

I NEED a fob! Call me old, but I love those things.

When we took delivery of our Model S Plaid last August, we were given two key fobs and two key cards. We use the key fob routinely, as the mobile key is too iffy to rely on consistently. Sometimes, though, the key fob will not start the car although it opened the door. When that happens, the mobile key does not start the car, either. We have to take a key card out of a wallet and rub it over the wireless phone charger pad to start the car. Sometimes this will happen at every stop on a multiple errand run.

We've owned an EV since 2015. It's hard to accept that seven years later, with two new EVs in the garage, we still find getting into and starting our cars something of a crap shoot. Only our 2018 Honda Odyssey always lets us in and starts up without a contest of wills.
The Key Card will only start the vehicle if its placed in the charging pad. That is the way it was designed.

The Key Card will only start the vehicle if its placed in the charging pad. That is the way it was designed.

Uh, yes, I know that. That is why I wrote that when neither the key fob nor the mobile key works, "we have to take a key card out of a wallet and rub it over the wireless phone charger pad to start the car."

Back