New (used) 2022 GT Owner with Tesla wall charging problems (hot plug!)

Leafnut

Reaction score
Cars
2022 Lucid Air GT
DE Number
Hello everyone,
Firstly, thanks for all your hard work early adopters and getting stuff figured out for us latecomers. The information on this site has proven to be very valuable.
I own a 2021 Tesla Model S long range, but after 6 months of Bluetooth not working and the Tesla service center trying to fix it in half measures, I gave up and started looking at the Lucid Air again. I bought a 2022 this weekend and drove it home getting accustomed to it and spending a great time with my daughter.
I love the car--especially after the 2.4.4 update! It drives, feels, and looks better than my utilitarian (masquerading as a luxury vehicle) model S.
Anways, 2 problems I've noticed and I'm hoping for some help from the forum.
Problem 1 (big problem): I own a Tesla wall charger that charged my model S @48A max with a 60A breaker flawlessly for years. I think it's a gen2 Tesla wall charger. From my research on the forum, I bought a teslatap mini 80A and tonight when I arrived home, plugged the tesla cable into the tesla tap, waited 30 seconds, then plugged the combination into the vehicle. It started charging right away @11Kw/h just like my Tesla. But when I came back to check on it 30 minutes later, the Tesla wall charger was blinking red three times while the green light charging indicators were flashing. Then, I went into the car and watched the Kw/h drop quickly to zero. When I went to unplug it, the tesla cable was extremely hot. I read that the 3 blinking red lights is a warning for an overheated cable or charging handle. Do any of you have any experience with this that could help me resolve this issue? Is my breaker too small? Is my wall charger inadequate? Is the teslatap malfunctioning? Should I just remove my wall charger and install a nema 14-50 instead? Or bite the bullet and install a Lucid Home Charging Station?
Problem 2: Driving home, listening to music via Bluetooth, the sound quality quickly deteriorated and became unlistenable. Parked the car, locked it, opened it 10 minutes later--works fine. Is this a known issue? Please advise.
Thanks in advance for any help and I greatly look forward to contributing to this forum once I get some experience and become more knowledgeable.

The hot handle is not your breaker. It is likely something near where the heat is being generated. So either the Tesla plug, the Tesla Tap or the car's connector. Since the charger worked with your Tesla, I suspect it's the Tesla Tap.

Tesla is a bit famous for running a bit too close to the edge of thermal limits. If it were me, unless you need the extra 8A - I'd see if you can't back it down to 40A as if you were using a nema 14-50 and see if it operates normally then. The teslatap will definitely add some resistance with an extra connection, but it shouldn't overheat.

Or as you mentioned, you could switch to a native J1772 charging station. Personally, I like being able to charge the car quickly when needed, so I'd stay with your existing 48 amp circuit and invest in a 48-amp capable charging station. Others on the forum may have suggestions for which ones work well with the Lucid. This would likely be the best solution if you plan to keep your Air for many years.

In the long term, it appears that most new EVs built in later 2025 and beyond will use Tesla's connector. It's a potential reason to keep your existing Tesla charging station and just buy an adapter for use with the Air.

I have Tesla level 2 charger on a 60a circuit and charge at 48a using the Telsa Tap Mini without issue. I am not sure if using the 80a Tesla Tap mini on a 60a circuit is the issue for the OP, but I went with the 60a mini to match my current setup and have no issues. I did buy and will install the Lucid home charger because it was so heavily subsidized.

Good point @DeaneG on keeping the Tesla charger.

To the point about the audio quality, we have had that issue 3 times now in the past few weeks. It sounds like a digital version of a record playing at half speed. It affects all sources of audio, by the way.

Hi everyone, I am truly impressed. I woke up this morning, hoping someone would reply and was pleasantly surprised to see so many replies! Thanks for your help!
I'm going to operate off the presumption that it's the Tesla tap to start with. I'll return and order both the 60A and the 80A to see if that makes a difference.
Great suggestion about keeping the wall charger. BTW, in my original post I stated I thought that it was a gen 2 wall charger. It's actually a gen 3 so it's limited to 48A max.
One thing I've noticed is that the Lucid gives off much more heat when charging. I reached above the front tire under the wheel we'll and heat is pouring out of that thing. Is that normal?

I also have a '22 AGT. We have a Tesla level 2 (Gen 3) that we use (mine and my wife's Tesla Y). In the winter, no troubles, but here in Florida, the garage temps are 90+ and the Tesla charger will start to blink a red light and slow down to almost zero. I use a mini tap which does get hot. I found if a fan is running air over the the Lucid connection, it charges fine. Thankfully winter is coming and I can charge without the fan running.

I bought a Chinese 25$ adapter from Amazon that goes on my Tesla charger, it’s been working fine for past 3 weeks since I got the car.

I bought a Chinese 25$ adapter from Amazon that goes on my Tesla charger, it’s been working fine for past 3 weeks since I got the car.
Make sure your fire insurance is paid up.

I have Tesla level 2 charger on a 60a circuit and charge at 48a using the Telsa Tap Mini without issue. I am not sure if using the 80a Tesla Tap mini on a 60a circuit is the issue for the OP, but I went with the 60a mini to match my current setup and have no issues. I did buy and will install the Lucid home charger because it was so heavily subsidized.

Good point @DeaneG on keeping the Tesla charger.

To the point about the audio quality, we have had that issue 3 times now in the past few weeks. It sounds like a digital version of a record playing at half speed. It affects all sources of audio, by the way.
If the 80A version overheats and the 60A doesn't, I'm pretty sure that's more of a product defect

Hi everyone, I am truly impressed. I woke up this morning, hoping someone would reply and was pleasantly surprised to see so many replies! Thanks for your help!
I'm going to operate off the presumption that it's the Tesla tap to start with. I'll return and order both the 60A and the 80A to see if that makes a difference.
Great suggestion about keeping the wall charger. BTW, in my original post I stated I thought that it was a gen 2 wall charger. It's actually a gen 3 so it's limited to 48A max.
One thing I've noticed is that the Lucid gives off much more heat when charging. I reached above the front tire under the wheel we'll and heat is pouring out of that thing. Is that normal?
Yes, I’ve noticed heat coming out the front end while charging. I even measured the temp of the front tires and posted on the forum a while back but don’t remember the numbers.

Hello everyone,
Firstly, thanks for all your hard work early adopters and getting stuff figured out for us latecomers. The information on this site has proven to be very valuable.
I own a 2021 Tesla Model S long range, but after 6 months of Bluetooth not working and the Tesla service center trying to fix it in half measures, I gave up and started looking at the Lucid Air again. I bought a 2022 this weekend and drove it home getting accustomed to it and spending a great time with my daughter.
I love the car--especially after the 2.4.4 update! It drives, feels, and looks better than my utilitarian (masquerading as a luxury vehicle) model S.
Anways, 2 problems I've noticed and I'm hoping for some help from the forum.
Problem 1 (big problem): I own a Tesla wall charger that charged my model S @48A max with a 60A breaker flawlessly for years. I think it's a gen2 Tesla wall charger. From my research on the forum, I bought a teslatap mini 80A and tonight when I arrived home, plugged the tesla cable into the tesla tap, waited 30 seconds, then plugged the combination into the vehicle. It started charging right away @11Kw/h just like my Tesla. But when I came back to check on it 30 minutes later, the Tesla wall charger was blinking red three times while the green light charging indicators were flashing. Then, I went into the car and watched the Kw/h drop quickly to zero. When I went to unplug it, the tesla cable was extremely hot. I read that the 3 blinking red lights is a warning for an overheated cable or charging handle. Do any of you have any experience with this that could help me resolve this issue? Is my breaker too small? Is my wall charger inadequate? Is the teslatap malfunctioning? Should I just remove my wall charger and install a nema 14-50 instead? Or bite the bullet and install a Lucid Home Charging Station?
Problem 2: Driving home, listening to music via Bluetooth, the sound quality quickly deteriorated and became unlistenable. Parked the car, locked it, opened it 10 minutes later--works fine. Is this a known issue? Please advise.
Thanks in advance for any help and I greatly look forward to contributing to this forum once I get some experience and become more knowledgeable.
I have a 22 AGT with a Gen 3 Tesla (Level 2) charger & 60amp breaker. Works perfectly fine on my end. Never had the wire or handle get extremely hot or anything. Just slightly warm for the most part. It may very well be the adapter you're using. This is the adapter I use.

Regarding Problem #2: I've seen posts from other users mentioning this issue a while back but I never ran into it until just recently after I updated to 2.4.2. Happened only once so far since the update but I'm assuming they'll get it patched soon enough. Doing a hard reset resolved the issue for me.

Also, welcome to the club! I hope you enjoy your GT as much as I do mine!

Last edited:
I will be interested to see how this works out for you. I’m have a similar problem but with the lucid 14-50 plug. It works for about 30 mins then flashes red. I am also in Florida and my garage is well over 90 degrees. Had it looked at by lucid and they said it was the heat and to install AC in my garage. That’s not a viable option, so it’ll be going back when the lease is up. Glad I’m figuring out the bugs on a 18 month lease rather than buying it and realizing I can only charge when it’s cooler outside. Love the car, but no Tesla network access and can’t charge in a warm garage at my house is a no go for me.

I will be interested to see how this works out for you. I’m have a similar problem but with the lucid 14-50 plug. It works for about 30 mins then flashes red. I am also in Florida and my garage is well over 90 degrees. Had it looked at by lucid and they said it was the heat and to install AC in my garage. That’s not a viable option, so it’ll be going back when the lease is up. Glad I’m figuring out the bugs on a 18 month lease rather than buying it and realizing I can only charge when it’s cooler outside. Love the car, but no Tesla network access and can’t charge in a warm garage at my house is a no go for me.
could you use a fan blowing at it to test if room temp is the problem?

Just a thought but have you tried leaving your garage door partially open (maybe 10-20%) to allow for the air to circulate?

I'm wondering if you have an industrial NEMA socket like Hubble or Bryant versus the standard ones from Home Depot, etc. I am in Texas, and my garage is often above 90, but the Air charges just fine. My buddy who was using a Home Depot outlet had the same problem as yours but it went away once he switched it to a Hubble. It would be worth a shot, if not already.

...That’s not a viable option, so it’ll be going back when the lease is up. Glad I’m figuring out the bugs on a 18 month lease rather than buying it and realizing I can only charge when it’s cooler outside.
Don't blame the car. You need a better charging setup. Possibly just an industrial-spec 14-50 outlet rather than residential. Or better yet, invest in a hardwired home charging station.

Tesla access will be added in 2025 and you can investigate the simple solutions suggested in this thread (check outlet quality or add a proper home charging station). No one has any gumption anymore, smallest hurdle and they punch out.

Back