New battery at 13500 miles

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
As I posted before I got a drive line fault message after updating to 2.0.45 yesterday . A reboot both turn signal and valet card failed to address the problem. I dropped it off at west palm but after a day of running diagnostics they tell me the fault code is coming from the battery so they are replacing the HV battery. Freddie Chen the technical manger was very helpful pushing this through. He said they were not comfortable me driving 1300 miles with it not being able to be resolved. The downside is we were down in Delray for vacay and were scheduled to drive back this morning. We had to scramble for a flight with the dog and have the car trucked up when done( lucid will comp the transport). So new battery and new software and saving 1300 miles of driving is the upside.

Did you end up getting your battery changed? I'm scheduled for a replacement at just 4,000 miles and I have to say I'm concerned about a car with that major of an issue so early.

Also frustrated because I had them check the alert and they told me it was nothing to worry about and they let me drive 1,500 miles on the alert only to come back and determine it wasn't the camera issue they thought, but a battery imbalance.

...I'm scheduled for a replacement at just 4,000 miles and I have to say I'm concerned about a car with that major of an issue so early....
It is unfortunate, but not particularly unusual for a new EV in its first year of volume production.

It is unfortunate, but not particularly unusual for a new EV in its first year of volume production.
Luckily there is no “first year” except to Lemon Laws. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that but I’m thankful it’s an option if it does.

The manufacturer issues were a bit to be expected. But the engineering diagnostic failures are pretty unacceptable. I can’t believe the local repair studios can’t do diagnostics themselves and require engineering to interpret error codes. They could have put me in a really bad spot by sending me on my way saying it was a camera issue when engineering was able to tell me it was a battery.

Luckily there is no “first year” except to Lemon Laws. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that but I’m thankful it’s an option if it does.

The manufacturer issues were a bit to be expected. But the engineering diagnostic failures are pretty unacceptable. I can’t believe the local repair studios can’t do diagnostics themselves and require engineering to interpret error codes. They could have put me in a really bad spot by sending me on my way saying it was a camera issue when engineering was able to tell me it was a battery.

Really sorry to hear about your tribulations with the car and it’s unfortunate that they didn’t diagnose it correctly the first time, but that is the nature of a complex new product, company and platform.
Wishing you trouble free ownership in the near future.

The manufacturer issues were a bit to be expected. But the engineering diagnostic failures are pretty unacceptable. I can’t believe the local repair studios can’t do diagnostics themselves and require engineering to interpret error codes.
It really is not surprising since some of the failures are new and engineering has to get involved. This will get better as service procedures and information is shared across all of the service centers but I have had several repairs take longer than normal because engineering needed to get involved. I agree that it is frustrating, but it is not a surprise. It is good that Lucid has engineering staff dedicated to supporting the service centers.

Just got notified today the car gets picked up in palm Beach tomorrow and delivery on 5-6 Jan. I’m getting new battery, controller and battery wiring harness. I’m led to believe there are hardware updates on all these parts. Everything under warranty and the delivery to NY comped. I have been happy with Lucids service over my period of ownership. I know some of you out have had less then stellar service experiences but with a start up company there is going to the good the bad and the ugly until they get everything sorted

Spoke a little too soon. Checked my app on car location this morning ( will it be here today or maybe tomorrow as promised). Still has not moved from west palm beach. I was ready to call when I got a text saying they were picking up now and will be delivering Monday, or about 4 days later. Oh well at least it’s on its way

Reactions: DJL
Now I’m officially confused on the shipping of my car. It left two days late from the service center in west palm and I noticed it went south down to Miami in stead of north to New York. Ok the truck had a drop off or pickup. Next time my car is twenty miles out to sea off Miami. Huh, I guess they’re shipping by vessel ok I guess it’s cheaper. Later today I see it docked on the Florida west coast in Naples. Well going the wrong direction but who knows about the routes. Now I check and the car is off ship and parked inland at a private residence. Now I’m officially a little concerned. Anybody heard a shipping tale like this??

Fantastic story. Can't wait for next installment.

My car is supposed to be "picked-up" and taken out of state "to be examined" (... isn't that a violation of the Mann Act ?)
Thanks @CraZ8 for the heads-up on tracking...I feel much better about it.

confess that though I've been warned not to drive the car
I took it out in the rain last night to hunt cheeseburger
and again today, again in the rain, to go post a letter ... in another town ... over the hill ...

the problem with EVs is you can't tell when they's broke and when they's fixed...they act the same.

I clicked on and it appears my car is trying to swim to Havana. I’m guessing the gps might be off
25CA1780-E678-437D-B870-5D22F679DED5.png

can't wait for the next installment

your story inspired me to track my own car. i found it at a chop shop in a junk yard next to a swamp outside of Richmond.

GPS is a wonderful thing.

I will probably get my car back next Monday- Wednesday. About 3 weeks for the underneath non structural rocker cover trim to ship and be installed. Not complaining but just a bit anxious after this absence plus the previous two weeks in the shop to get the new battery. The silver lining is probably3000 miles I didn’t put on the car ( the trip back from Florida and 5 weeks of driving) Of course I would have enjoyed every one of those miles instead of driving wifeys SUV and later the worlds largest rental truck a Ford Excursion. I really feel I need a class 2 semi license to drive the thing but it was the only car enterprise had with AWD. So I eagerly await my Lucid being done so I can download the next update and deal with the plethora of problems that unleashes.

Back