Never been able to get over 90kw from an EA charger

wa_lucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring, Quantum Grey
DE Number
Referral Code
8DKITB71
I won't claim that I visited that many sites, but every single Electrify America site I have been to that advertised having 150 KW has failed to deliver more than 90 kilowatts. Today, there was another Lucid owner charging next to me and they were getting 140 KW. So, I switched to their plug after they left and I still got only 90 kilowatts or so.

I wonder if it is just my car and i need to call support.

PS: the temperature was 60 degrees and i did not precondition the battery.

I won't claim that I visited that many sites, but every single Electrify America site I have been to that advertised having 150 KW has failed to deliver more than 90 kilowatts. Today, there was another Lucid owner charging next to me and they were getting 140 KW. So, I switched to their plug after they left and I still got only 90 kilowatts or so.

What was your SOC or State of Charge or % on your battery?

What dictates your rate og charging speed is by…

1) SOC on energy transmission curve (% of your charge)

2) temperature of your battery cable (preconditioning)

3) How much a stall is set to render based on what your Battery Management System ask.
(Sometimes stall is programmed to be limited)

B3CADBAE-6F06-4BB8-8454-66AD899828E9.jpeg

Charging curve reference.
Hope this help. @wa_lucid

What dictates your rate og charging speed is by…

1) SOC on energy transmission curve (% of your charge)

2) temperature of your battery cable (preconditioning)

3) How much a stall is set to render based on what your Battery Management System ask.
(Sometimes stall is programmed to be limited)

View attachment 11298
Charging curve reference.
Hope this help. @wa_lucid
Thanks for the reference. This matches what I know and expect.

I had around 30% SoC to start. I believe that is low enough on the charging curve to draw a lot more power than I was able to get, given 60 degrees temp.

The car started drawing about 87kw then dropped to 65kw or so once it crossed 60% or so SoC. Given another Lucid was just able to draw twice as much from the same station, I was left wondering if it is my car's electronics somehow.

I had around 30% SoC to start. I believe that is low enough on the charging curve to draw a lot more power than I was able to get, given 60 degrees temp.

The car started drawing about 87kw then dropped to 65kw or so once it crossed 60% or so SoC. Given another Lucid was just able to draw twice as much from the same station, I was left wondering if it is my car's electronics somehow.
Yeah you should definitely get faster than that at 30%. I’ve gotten 172kw off a 150kw rated EA at that state of charge on preconditioned battery, but that was last fall. This is definitely an EA problem that’s gotten worse lately. For reference I’m currently charging at a Chargepoint free 125kw shared DCFC near my work, pulling its max capacity, thus faster that many owners experience at EA lately.

Attachments

• C9BFF919-6ADD-4D83-8D64-96CCDF998F69.jpeg
    C9BFF919-6ADD-4D83-8D64-96CCDF998F69.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

Precondition the battery. It helps a ton.

Yeah you should definitely get faster than that at 30%. I’ve gotten 172kw off a 150kw rated EA at that state of charge on preconditioned battery, but that was last fall. This is definitely an EA problem that’s gotten worse lately. For reference I’m currently charging at a Chargepoint free 125kw shared DCFC near my work, pulling its max capacity, thus faster that many owners experience at EA lately.
Which station is that?

Which station is that?
ChargePoint Charging Station
(888) 758-4389

I’ll often leave home early and have my coffee in the car while charging here. If there’s other cars plugged in also it may slow down as it shares the cabinet, but it will still do 62kw if shared. It will show up in the Lucid navigation also if you switch off the EA only search. Plug 2 looks janky as it has some weird white tape on it, but it works!

ChargePoint Charging Station
(888) 758-4389

I’ll often leave home early and have my coffee in the car while charging here. If there’s other cars plugged in also it may slow down as it shares the cabinet, but it will still do 62kw if shared. It will show up in the Lucid navigation also if you switch off the EA only search. Plug 2 looks janky as it has some weird white tape on it, but it works!
That’s really close to my house. I’ll have to give it a try.

I'm lucky to get 95kw most times, occasionally get the "power throttled" message, but one glorious day, I actually got 151kw on a 150kw charger (Kittery, ME, the working EA chargers closest to my frequent drive). My typical status is 35-40% with 20 minutes of preconditioning.

I'm lucky to get 95kw most times, occasionally get the "power throttled" message, but one glorious day, I actually got 151kw on a 150kw charger (Kittery, ME, the working EA chargers closest to my frequent drive). My typical status is 35-40% with 20 minutes of preconditioning.
I’ve charged there several times, it’s actually reliable. Definitely slower in the cold even on preconditioned battery but at least they work.

How are you doing that? They have free DCFC by you??
Yeah it’s a free 125kw shared DCFC, they have two DCFC dispensers and 3 L2 chargers. I think Rhode Island has more free EV chargers per person than anywhere else in the country (those numbers are rigged because we have such a small population haha). Most are L2 but they’re pretty ubiquitous, most parks have at least one.

That's awesome. I haven't found any free DCFC in WNY yet but I really just started paying attention

What's the going rate for charge point?
Chargepoint does not set rates, individual site owners set the price. The Chargepoint business model is different than other networks. Chargepoint sells equipment, installs equipments, handles billing and optionally maintains equipment. Site owners can subscribe to Chargepoint maintenance contract or handle maintenance on their own. This is a great model for businesses that want to offer charging. From a user perspective, it leads to inconsistent quality and maintenance at each site.

At least it was better than this.

Yes, battery was preconditioned for 30 minutes.

Temp was 48 degrees.

Speed did get faster. But only 34 kW.

Attachments

• 88C21B97-FA9C-4BA4-B117-471B2760DE95.jpeg
    88C21B97-FA9C-4BA4-B117-471B2760DE95.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
Chargepoint does not set rates, individual site owners set the price. The Chargepoint business model is different than other networks. Chargepoint sells equipment, installs equipments, handles billing and optionally maintains equipment. Site owners can subscribe to Chargepoint maintenance contract or handle maintenance on their own. This is a great model for businesses that want to offer charging. From a user perspective, it leads to inconsistent quality and maintenance at each site.
Is there a list somewhere showing free DCFC locations? Chargepoint or otherwise?

Back