NACS Megathread

Yes, and the section of the @DeaneG post I quoted was about J1772 and Tesla Destination Chargers. Not CCS or Tesla Supercharger.
Perhaps I was not clear, Lucid service said it was a J1772 to Tesla Destination charger cord adapter that destroyed the charge port on a Lucid in their shop.

Perhaps I was not clear, Lucid service said it was a J1772 to Tesla Destination charger cord adapter that destroyed the charge port on a Lucid in their shop.
That’s what I understood. Tesla charger to the Lucid’s J1772. Which set me on a rampage on Amazon, requesting UL file numbers from every vendor saying they are UL listed. I’ve actually gotten 2 testing reports from the 6 requested. Giving the other 4 the rest of the week, then I’ll have a new campaign to get them kicked off the site. Wait 2 weeks, do it again for any new stores/brands.

What can I say? I’m bored.

That’s what I understood. Tesla charger to the Lucid’s J1772. Which set me on a rampage on Amazon, requesting UL file numbers from every vendor saying they are UL listed. I’ve actually gotten 2 testing reports from the 6 requested. Giving the other 4 the rest of the week, then I’ll have a new campaign to get them kicked off the site. Wait 2 weeks, do it again for any new stores/brands.

It will be nice when Lucid sells an adapter. An 80 amp TeslaTap at $300 of course you are going to get people buying something for $29 on Amazon or eBay.

It will be nice when Lucid sells an adapter. An 80 amp TeslaTap at $300 of course you are going to get people buying something for $29 on Amazon or eBay.
Agreed. Or even more high quality adapter competition for TT. It was a Amazon cheapie that melted the Lucid port. To be frank, I was shocked it only cost $1200 to repair.

Agreed. Or even more high quality adapter competition for TT. It was a Amazon cheapie that melted the Lucid port. To be frank, I was shocked it only cost $1200 to repair.
Lectron has a good option that is UL certified for half the price of TeslaTap. So i mean there are options depending on your budget.

Lectron has a good option that is UL certified for half the price of TeslaTap. So i mean there are options depending on your budget.
Yes, but the Lectron one isn't rated up to 80A. That's why you pay extra for the TeslaTap.

Yes, but the Lectron one isn't rated up to 80A. That's why you pay extra for the TeslaTap.
There's also been many reported issues with the Lectron for all EVs and the TeslaTap has proven to be more reliable according to others. Our TeslaTap has been flawless so far.

yea that's fair, in my 5 years of EV ownership, i've never run across an 80A charger in the wild (nor do i have an 80A charger at home), so people can decide whether it's worth the extra cost to them.

yea that's fair, in my 5 years of EV ownership, i've never run across an 80A charger in the wild (nor do i have an 80A charger at home), so people can decide whether it's worth the extra cost to them.
The Air does charge at 80a, if you didn't already know. In my opinion, if ay that if you are in the market for a EVSE right now, it is worth it getting a 80A EVSE just for the future-proofing (the chargepoint homeflex is decently priced and has 80a) against future EVs!

The Air does charge at 80a, if you didn't already know. In my opinion, if ay that if you are in the market for a EVSE right now, it is worth it getting a 80A EVSE just for the future-proofing (the chargepoint homeflex is decently priced and has 80a) against future EVs!
Again...the only reason to get a teslatap is if you happen to frequently go to 80a NACS destination chargers. I've never seen one before. A few of them must exist out there, but i'm not going out of my way to find one.

I could definitely see myself buying one if 80A L2 NACS chargers one day become prevalent out there...but i doubt that'll be the case since Tesla has removed 80a charging from all their vehicles.

Again...the only reason to get a teslatap is if you happen to frequently go to 80a NACS destination chargers. I've never seen one before. A few of them must exist out there, but i'm not going out of my way to find one.

I could definitely see myself buying one if 80A L2 NACS chargers one day become prevalent out there...but i doubt that'll be the case since Tesla has removed 80a charging from all their vehicles.
Correct. The only reason we bought it is because we might as well get the best there is at the start instead of buying a 48a one now and another 80a one later (which would be more expensive) if/when 80a Tesla destination chargers become more available. We also bought it because a majority of our friends have chargers at their house with a Tesla port on them, and they are mostly 80a (like the CP home flex NACS).

Unrelated, but did Teslas ever have 80a charging?

Correct. The only reason we bought it is because we might as well get the best there is at the start instead of buying a 48a one now and another 80a one later (which would be more expensive) if/when 80a Tesla destination chargers become more available. We also bought it because a majority of our friends have chargers at their house with a Tesla port on them, and they are mostly 80a (like the CP home flex NACS).

I hate to ask…but Are you trolling? CP flex doesn’t charge at 80 amp…teslas don’t charge at 80amp…why would the majority of your friends have 80 amp nacs chargers at home? I don’t even think that exists anymore…If your friends own teslas, they would probably buy the super cheap Tesla charger 48amp charger that they sell for $399. (That’s what I bought too) or the j1772/nacs combo version at least

Model S and X had 80 amp onboard chargers. Swapped to 48 amp a few years ago

I hate to ask…but Are you trolling? CP flex doesn’t charge at 80 amp…teslas don’t charge at 80amp…why would the majority of your friends have 80 amp nacs chargers at home? I don’t even think that exists… If your friends own teslas, they would probably buy the super cheap Tesla charger 48amp charger that they sell for $399. (That’s what I bought too) or the j1772/nacs combo version at least
It… does? At least based on the Best Buy listing for it, it does. It also comes in a NACS version.

That’s what I would have thought too, but most of them opted for non Tesla chargers for some reason.

Last edited:
It… does? At least based on the Best Buy listing for it, which we bought it from, it does. That’s what I would have thought too, but most of them opted for non Tesla chargers for some reason.
But you said you’ve been using it at your friends house. So did you see it charging at 80amp? Or are you just proclaiming as fact what you saw on BestBuys website :) (if you’re doing the latter, I think it’s a lesson for you, don’t believe everything you read on the internet)

1710351510790.png

Last edited:
But you said you’ve been using it at your friends house. So did you see it charging at 80amp? Or are you just proclaiming as fact what you saw on BestBuys website :) (if you’re doing the latter, I think it’s a lesson for you, don’t believe everything you read on the internet)
No, we haven't used it yet since we haven't gone to our friend's house yet (and neither did I say I did). In fact, the EV9 doesn't even support 80a charging. Our rationale for buying the TeslaTap was for futureproofing when we get future EVs, as stated before. I do know our friend's houses have 80a capability, as one of them has a Lucid and charges it at 80a.

Can you two take this conversation to PMs or something?

A worthy endeavor. I have sent products off for certification, UL-CSA, Intertek ETL, TUV. Expensive and time consuming. But good piece of mind for anything connected to mains power, and you can't sell in the EU with out it. I love it when a Chinese product says: tested to meet UL standards. Yeah. Right. I thought Amazon was foolish enough to let sellers self certify.

I knew it wouldn’t work, but I tried a NACS to CCS adapter at the Massapequa. New York, Tesla Supercharger.

IMG_2664.jpeg
IMG_2663.jpeg
IMG_2665.jpeg

Back