MyQ Opener

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
I have 2022 Lucid Air GT and have no problem with HomeLink even though our 2 garage door openers are 20 yrs. old. My spouse recently traded in her Tesla Model 3 for a new 2024 Highland Model 3 (hey, she is an independent woman and makes her own decisions) but Tesla now only has MyQ unless you pay $300 for a HomeLink module installation. I believe it is time to replace my openers already, so I am going to install two Chamberlain MyQ compatible openers. Will I have any problems getting my Lucid to communicate?

I have MyQ/Chamberlain and it works perfectly.

I have MyQ/Chamberlain and it works perfectly.
How do you get the Lucid to trigger MyQ? I have a Chamberlain & MyQ app that works perfectly from my iPhone, but using it with the Lucid is a different story. I was always under the impression that you needed 3rd party workarounds to get it to work via the car.

I’ve reverted back to using the old school remote, but it’s hidden in a door pocket to avoid embarrassment. ;)

Lucid's built in homelink works perfectly with MyQ openers, aside from the long standing issue of button access while in reverse.

Would also like to know, in same boat. I'll try the standard homelink programming today and see how it goes first.

Would also like to know, in same boat. I'll try the standard homelink programming today and see how it goes first.
When it comes time to "teach" the opener to use your car's homelink code, unlatch the garage door's door from the opener and position your Air with its nose directly under the opener. In "learn" mode, openers require a very strong signal.

I have 2022 Lucid Air GT and have no problem with HomeLink even though our 2 garage door openers are 20 yrs. old. My spouse recently traded in her Tesla Model 3 for a new 2024 Highland Model 3 (hey, she is an independent woman and makes her own decisions) but Tesla now only has MyQ unless you pay $300 for a HomeLink module installation. I believe it is time to replace my openers already, so I am going to install two Chamberlain MyQ compatible openers. Will I have any problems getting my Lucid to communicate?
You can purchase an inexpensive module to add to your existing openers to make them MyQ compatible. I did this for my sister, works perfectly. No need to change out your existing openers.

Homelink will work fine. You won’t be able to use MyQ from the Lucid directly, but your garage opener will do homelink as will the car.

There are now much better alternatives to MyQ if you’d like to avoid paying their asinine subscription fees and would like a more open API for you to integrate into things, fwiw.

Most garage door openers come with HomeLink for decades.

Most relatively affordable cars like Prius comes with HomeLink as standard.

Lucid also has HomeLink included and it works with my MyQ openers well but remember by the HomeLink option only, NOT MyQ option.

HomeLink use radio wave so your car needs to be local. The HomeLink in your car is not powerful enough to control the opener from the other side of the world. Its use is free forever because you already paid HomeLink in the price of a Lucid.

Unlike HomeLink, MyQ works through the Internet/wifi signal. You need:

1) an app
2) paid prescription
3) internet/wifi

To use it .

Some cars place a MyQ app in the infotainment so you can use it. Lucid doesn't have that app in the car. It's an app just like Pandora so it's a matter of Lucid allow a certain app in the infotainment or not. You can download that app to your phone, tablet that's internet/wifi active to control your opener. That means you don't have to be local. You can use the app to control from thousands of miles away as long as your app can reach internet.

In summary, your Lucid works with any brand new openers including "MyQ" because MyQ also has HomeLink built-in. Your Model 3 does not come with HomeLink standard, but as a consolation prize, it does come with MyQ app. You can pay MyQ app and it'll work for Model 3. Since MyQ is internet dependent, if your router/wifi/internet/server is down, MyQ won't work. You need to install HomeLink to your Model 3 to work even an Internet outrage.

Homelink will work fine. You won’t be able to use MyQ from the Lucid directly, but your garage opener will do homelink as will the car.

There are now much better alternatives to MyQ if you’d like to avoid paying their asinine subscription fees and would like a more open API for you to integrate into things, fwiw.
Borski
Thanks, any recommendations and links to hook up with?

I was missing this fact on MyQ: It's free if you use your phone app or tablet with internet/wifi active). Also free with HomeLink and remote controls (the free price is built-in without an extra subscription when you bought a garage opener).

However, if your car has a MyQ app, that built-in app requires a subscription as below:

mHFW2Yi.jpg

Just programmed HomeLink with one our MyQ openers last night, worked on the second try. I hoped I wouldn't have to put the garage receiver into Learn mode, but I did on the second try and everything worked great.

Then, I went to do the same thing on the second garage door unit (2 car garage), parking the car in front of that garage door....no luck. Same process, completely different result.

Just programmed HomeLink with one our MyQ openers last night, worked on the second try. I hoped I wouldn't have to put the garage receiver into Learn mode, but I did on the second try and everything worked great.

Then, I went to do the same thing on the second garage door unit (2 car garage), parking the car in front of that garage door....no luck. Same process, completely different result.
Assuming the car accepted the code from the second door's existing remote, then it's time to "teach" the opener to use your car's Homelink code. Placing the car near the garage door isn't good enough. In "learn" mode, openers require a very strong signal, much stronger than in regular operation, to avoid accidentally learning someone else's code. You'll need to position your Air with its nose directly under the opener. Fully open the garage door and unlatch the garage door from the opener using the emergency release handle so it won't move while you're teaching the opener your car's new code.

I hear you....BUT I did precisely the same thing with the second opener as the first (learn mode, parked the same distance from the second unit as I did from the first unit). It's just odd that it didn't work with this unit. I'll have to move the car that's in place and try to get the car further in there, I guess...I just don't know why when it worked great on the first one. Can't work out the variable that's in play here. However, I can brute force it and get even closer, with some effort.

I hear you....BUT I did precisely the same thing with the second opener as the first (learn mode, parked the same distance from the second unit as I did from the first unit). It's just odd that it didn't work with this unit. I'll have to move the car that's in place and try to get the car further in there, I guess...I just don't know why when it worked great on the first one. Can't work out the variable that's in play here. However, I can brute force it and get even closer, with some effort.
It may have barely worked on the first one, and the second opener needed a little more signal strength. I recently had to do this with a friend's Macan as well.

My bad. Lead this down a rabbit hole with my response. MyQ doesn’t work. Homelink with chamberlain works great.
How do you get the Lucid to trigger MyQ? I have a Chamberlain & MyQ app that works perfectly from my iPhone, but using it with the Lucid is a different story. I was always under the impression that you needed 3rd party workarounds to get it to work via the car.

I’ve reverted back to using the old school remote, but it’s hidden in a door pocket to avoid embarrassment. ;)

Check the batteries in the opener remote. Seems odd but that solved it for me.

Back