Single homelink device paired to two profiles?

becauseracecar

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, E9X M3 Convertible
Referral Code
53GRHWDI
TLDR: Have you programmed your garage door via homelink to multiple profiles in the car? What brand/model of garage door opener do you have?

Long version:
I want both my spouse and myself to be able to open our garage door without switching profiles. I tried to program the device to both of our profiles, but I can't get this to work.

I am able to program the device to my profile, and it works successfully. Next I program it to my spouse's profile and it works on her profile.

However I go back to my profile and the homelink device stops working on my profile.

So then I try to reprogram the device on my profile, now it works on my profile but the previously programmed device stops working on my spouse's profile. You can program it to both profiles, but it'll only work on the last programmed profile. I thought maybe I was running into the limits on number of programmed items on my garage door opener, so I tried clearing the memory on it and starting over. However I still see the same issue with nothing else programmed on the garage door besides one remote and two profiles in the Lucid (garage door opener is documented as having seven memory slots, and I've previously paired 5 devices all working at the same time)

I'm hoping this is maybe some issue that's specific to trying to use Lucid homelink with my particular model of garage door opener (an older unit, a Genie H6000A). If this works for you I'd love to know what brand/model of garage door opener you have, since I'm considering replacing my garage door opener with another that would get along better with my Lucid.

TLDR: Have you programmed your garage door via homelink to multiple profiles in the car? What brand/model of garage door opener do you have?

Long version:
I want both my spouse and myself to be able to open our garage door without switching profiles. I tried to program the device to both of our profiles, but I can't get this to work.

I am able to program the device to my profile, and it works successfully. Next I program it to my spouse's profile and it works on her profile.

However I go back to my profile and the homelink device stops working on my profile.

So then I try to reprogram the device on my profile, now it works on my profile but the previously programmed device stops working on my spouse's profile. You can program it to both profiles, but it'll only work on the last programmed profile. I thought maybe I was running into the limits on number of programmed items on my garage door opener, so I tried clearing the memory on it and starting over. However I still see the same issue with nothing else programmed on the garage door besides one remote and two profiles in the Lucid (garage door opener is documented as having seven memory slots, and I've previously paired 5 devices all working at the same time)

I'm hoping this is maybe some issue that's specific to trying to use Lucid homelink with my particular model of garage door opener (an older unit, a Genie H6000A). If this works for you I'd love to know what brand/model of garage door opener you have, since I'm considering replacing my garage door opener with another that would get along better with my Lucid.

As someone who has personally dealt with this exact problem, I recommend you perform a factory reset on the car first, as this issue developed into a serious profile/infotainment system problem.

The second half of this solution is as follows: When setting up the Homelink on Profile 1 and 2, ensure you name them as something completely different. "Garage Home" for profile 1, and "Home Garage" for profile 2

After I did those two things, everything worked out great!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I tried doing a full factory reset, and made sure to name them something different on each profile, but I still can't get this to work. Glad things worked out for you at least.

The profile system on the car is seriously lacking. Unless the second person regularly drives it, I have always recommended having a single profile only.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I tried doing a full factory reset, and made sure to name them something different on each profile, but I still can't get this to work. Glad things worked out for you at least.
Are you using a paired remote to learn the garage?

Or pairing using "D-Mode"

Where is the point where you are getting stuck or unable to finish the pair/learn process?

Did you complete one successfully but not the other?

Have the same issue and annoyed that the devices cannot be shared across profiles. To fix, I went old school and put a normal garage opener on the visor.

Have the same issue and annoyed that the devices cannot be shared across profiles. To fix, I went old school and put a normal garage opener on the visor.
Try naming them differently?

The profile system on the car is seriously lacking. Unless the second person regularly drives it, I have always recommended having a single profile only.
Agree, we both need to drive the car so we're trying to make do with the current profile system. I really wish the car just had the usual physical seat memory and homelink buttons

Are you using a paired remote to learn the garage?

Or pairing using "D-Mode"

Where is the point where you are getting stuck or unable to finish the pair/learn process?

Did you complete one successfully but not the other?
So the issue is not with pairing, I'm able to complete that successfully on both profiles using a remote. What goes wrong is described in step #4

1. Pair garage door opener to profile 1 successfully, go to homelink menu on profile 1 and verify homelink can open garage door
2. Pair garage door opener to profile 2 successfully, go to homelink menu on profile 2 and verify homelink can open garage door
3. Switch back to profile 1
4. Open homelink menu and tap on entry for garage door opener. The symbol/icon appears to indicate that homelink is transmitting however nothing happens, garage door does not open
5. Switch back to profile 2, open homelink menu. Homelink entry still works, will open garage door successfully

What seems to matter is the order in which you do the programming, last programmed profile is the only one that works

Agree, we both need to drive the car so we're trying to make do with the current profile system. I really wish the car just had the usual physical seat memory and homelink buttons

So the issue is not with pairing, I'm able to complete that successfully on both profiles using a remote. What goes wrong is described in step #4

1. Pair garage door opener to profile 1 successfully, go to homelink menu on profile 1 and verify homelink can open garage door
2. Pair garage door opener to profile 2 successfully, go to homelink menu on profile 2 and verify homelink can open garage door
3. Switch back to profile 1
4. Open homelink menu and tap on entry for garage door opener. The symbol/icon appears to indicate that homelink is transmitting however nothing happens, garage door does not open
5. Switch back to profile 2, open homelink menu. Homelink entry still works, will open garage door successfully

What seems to matter is the order in which you do the programming, last programmed profile is the only one that works
I think it may be your opener cannot store two remotes, one for each profile. Hence, it works on the last programmed profile but not the other.

Try naming them differently?
This doesn't help when previously registered homelinks stop working. Not sure if my opener has a limit of how many remotes can be linked but I am probably encroaching on it.

I think it may be your opener cannot store two remotes, one for each profile. Hence, it works on the last programmed profile but not the other.
Yes! I think something like this is exactly what is going on! Ok so maybe it's actually a bit more complicated (if someone actually cares I can write up my full theory on what's going on), but the key point stands, I think the issue is most likely with the opener.

Which brings me back to my original question: Have you gotten this to work with your garage door opener? What make/model was it?

Yes! I think something like this is exactly what is going on! Ok so maybe it's actually a bit more complicated (if someone actually cares I can write up my full theory on what's going on), but the key point stands, I think the issue is most likely with the opener.

Which brings me back to my original question: Have you gotten this to work with your garage door opener? What make/model was it?
I have a Chamberlin B6713T and have no issues with two profiles and each profile programmed to open it.

Mine works fine with both profiles. You may need to reset the learning on your garage opener and repair remotes. Most garage openers use rolling codes, so it’s also possible that for some reason one or the other profile is confusing the opener / using older rolling codes, but that would still point to an issue with the opener.

Chamberlin B6713T
Thanks!!!! This is exactly what I was looking for, knowing that this one works with the Lucid across multiple profiles we'll probably look at that model or other Chamberlain garage door openers to replace our older Genie H6000A.

Mine works fine with both profiles. You may need to reset the learning on your garage opener and repair remotes. Most garage openers use rolling codes, so it’s also possible that for some reason one or the other profile is confusing the opener / using older rolling codes, but that would still point to an issue with the opener.
I did try totally clearing the memory on my opener and starting from scratch, but unfortunately didn't seem to help. I think it's probably just a limitation of this particular garage door opener.

We got our new Chamberlain B6753T installed yesterday (an all around huge upgrade compared to our old unit), and I was able to successfully pair it to two profiles on the car! Thanks again @Adnillien

I found the build date sticker on our old Genie H6000A, and it's from 2004 apparently(!) My guess is that the Genie openers which would potentially be impacted by the issue I saw are so old they should mostly no longer be in service, but some quick googling wasn't able to resolve the question definitively.

Back