My body shop experience with my new Lucid

m1match

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I picked up my new Lucid Air Touring at the Costa Mesa Lucid Center on Dec. 22 and had the incredible misfortune to get rear ended in traffic that same day! The rear bumper was bashed in the lower area, but the car drove normally and no error messages showed up. It looked like no metal body panels were damaged. I drove the car about 4 weeks before it went into the body shop. It took about two weeks to sort out things with Lucid and my insurance company as to where to take the car, which in San Diego County, is Chris Amato Body Werks, the only Lucid authorized shop in the county. The original estimate for repair was about $6K of which about a third was parts, a third labor, and the rest of the cost was to send the car to Lucid Costa Mesa to get the cameras and sensors re-calibrated. CA did the tear down about a week later and that's when the cost REALLY went up. The tear down exposed the bashed and bent rear aluminum panel behind the plastic bumper and the rear crossmember which was also impacted. These aluminum parts are really expensive to fix. The labor for fixing aluminum is much higher than steel body work. After two months in the shop and at Lucid getting worked on or waiting for parts, my car is back to brand new looking and the total bill for the repair was about $14,000. I handled the claim through my insurance company, Zurich American, and now they need to go after Safeco, the insurance company of the guy that hit me. While expensive, the body shop was professional and communicated well, as well as doing excellent work from what I could see. Zurich American was ok to deal with, they authorized the original repair estimate and the supplemental addition in a reasonable amount of time.

Now I've only driven the car about 1,500 miles, but I have to say it's the best vehicle I've ever had. It's a dream to drive and with my software up to the current version, I haven't had many issues. About the only issues I can think of are a few times the surround camera system or the turn signal camera views don't come on when they're supposed to and doing a Bobby reset fixed those issues.

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpg
    IMG_6703.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_6706.jpg
    IMG_6706.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 261
I picked up my new Lucid Air Touring at the Costa Mesa Lucid Center on Dec. 22 and had the incredible misfortune to get rear ended in traffic that same day! The rear bumper was bashed in the lower area, but the car drove normally and no error messages showed up. It looked like no metal body panels were damaged. I drove the car about 4 weeks before it went into the body shop. It took about two weeks to sort out things with Lucid and my insurance company as to where to take the car, which in San Diego County, is Chris Amato Body Werks, the only Lucid authorized shop in the county. The original estimate for repair was about $6K of which about a third was parts, a third labor, and the rest of the cost was to send the car to Lucid Costa Mesa to get the cameras and sensors re-calibrated. CA did the tear down about a week later and that's when the cost REALLY went up. The tear down exposed the bashed and bent rear aluminum panel behind the plastic bumper and the rear crossmember which was also impacted. These aluminum parts are really expensive to fix. The labor for fixing aluminum is much higher than steel body work. After two months in the shop and at Lucid getting worked on or waiting for parts, my car is back to brand new looking and the total bill for the repair was about $14,000. I handled the claim through my insurance company, Zurich American, and now they need to go after Safeco, the insurance company of the guy that hit me. While expensive, the body shop was professional and communicated well, as well as doing excellent work from what I could see. Zurich American was ok to deal with, they authorized the original repair estimate and the supplemental addition in a reasonable amount of time.

Now I've only driven the car about 1,500 miles, but I have to say it's the best vehicle I've ever had. It's a dream to drive and with my software up to the current version, I haven't had many issues. About the only issues I can think of are a few times the surround camera system or the turn signal camera views don't come on when they're supposed to and doing a Bobby reset fixed those issues.
Chris is a standup guy.

Glad you have your car back and are able to enjoy it!

Very happy for you! I just picked up my car from Chris Amato’s too. All the people there were really, really lovely.

My car didn’t need anywhere near as much work as yours did, just the replacement of the entire rear windshield and all the associated trim pieces including both roof railings, and both C-pillar garnishes that say “Air GT”. Chris Amato’s had my car for about a fortnight. Total cost billed to insurance less my $200 comprehensive deductible - approximately $8000.

I couldn’t have been happier when I got my car back, I really, really missed it the entire time it was in the shop.

Attachments

• 95257764-2486-4617-9A83-87F1D7244655.jpeg
    95257764-2486-4617-9A83-87F1D7244655.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 127
Back