Munro's first engineering evaluation of the Air

Stick to USB-C if you want high power phone or notebook charging. USB-A is severely limited.

Seeing the engineering put into the suspension assembly makes me realize that the below is unlikely to happen. Kudos to Lucid for some great engineering!

That is truly the definition of having a bad day. Not only does he get hit with the tire, flips and regains the car's footing, but he then gets hit with the tire from behind. Damn!

That is truly the definition of having a bad day. Not only does he get hit with the tire, flips and regains the car's footing, but he then gets hit with the tire from behind. Damn!
And amazingly, the Kia driver was not seriously injured! I guess seatbelts, airbags and other safety systems do save lives!

I talked to my brother about this, as he follows Sandy Munro much more closely than I. He said Munro does not tear down every car he reviews, sometimes just doing an undercarriage view (as in these two videos) followed by separate driving, ADAS, exterior panel, and interior reviews. He also said that a few weeks back Munro mentioned that they had acquired the rear drive unit and a battery pack from a Lucid (presumably one that had been wrecked). He thinks those are the components Munro will tear down, not the ones from the car in this video.
Your brother is right, as far as Munro not doing the complete tear down on every car, but as I recall, Sandy was asked directly about why they have not torn down an Air while he was enjoying (more than) a few drinks at the LA (?) auto show.

Here's Sandy Munro talking about the teardown they're doing right now of the Lucid battery pack and drive train. The discussion of Lucid starts around 26:25:

He was absolutely blown away by what he's seen of the motor so far, calling it "brilliant stuff" and the "only thing" he's seen that bests what Tesla does with drivetrain technology.

They also have differentials of Plaid and Rivian quad motors laid out on table.

Anyway, Lucid’s 669 HP per motor is industry’s highest density pack. I would said it’s basically alien technology to other Tesla competitors. Lucid is so way ahead powertrain, they just need more OTA updates to place them as best ever.

They also have differentials of Plaid and Rivian quad motors laid out on table.

Anyway, Lucid’s 669 HP per motor is industry’s highest density pack. I would said it’s basically alien technology to other Tesla competitors. Lucid is so way ahead powertrain, they just need more OTA updates to place them as best ever.

Actually, the OTA updates are rapidly closing the gap with Tesla. Some Lucid software features are already ahead of Tesla's (dual satellite maps, birds-eye view, parking displays, USB music sticks, facial recognition), and the gap on ADAS will continue to narrow. (For all the hype and hoopla, Tesla FSD is still a Level 2 system -- that costs $15,000 extra.)

Despite a series of OTA updates since we got our 2021 Model S Plaid, the car occasionally still won't recognize the key fob to open the doors, and about half the time won't start without rubbing the key card over the phone charging pad. The early days of difficultly in getting the Lucid opened and spooled up are long gone.

201539A8-75A7-4DB9-9A13-31FE6A6610BD.jpeg

Left is Tesla Plaid front differential next to motor.

Right is Lucid is differential built-in at motor unit.

The size and location of it creates massive frunk space and perhaps higher revolution motor whine closer to driver? Anyway, the miniaturization is just incredible. And I bet it is a lot more expensive to fix anything.

The size and location of it creates massive frunk space and perhaps higher revolution motor whine closer to driver? Anyway, the miniaturization is just incredible. And I bet it is a lot more expensive to fix anything.
Miniaturization tends to make things cheaper to build over time, but packing them more closely together - more expensive to repair.

They mentioned that the lucid motors were already on sale as an aside. Does these mean all the LS swap hot rodders will be able to buy these to modify anything that needs gobs of horsepower in a small space? I wonder if the Singer Porsche people have considered this, especially a dual rear motor unit

View attachment 11999

Left is Tesla Plaid front differential next to motor.

Right is Lucid is differential built-in at motor unit.

The whine is because they didn't isolate the front motor like the back.

They mentioned that the lucid motors were already on sale as an aside. Does these mean all the LS swap hot rodders will be able to buy these to modify anything that needs gobs of horsepower in a small space? I wonder if the Singer Porsche people have considered this, especially a dual rear motor unit
Wait, where can you get them? Ive been planning a project car, and all this while I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a lucid motor.

Wait, where can you get them? Ive been planning a project car, and all this while I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a lucid motor.
If I tell you, would you guarantee that you will stay on your project, and post here every 2 weeks, or so? :)

If I tell you, would you guarantee that you will stay on your project, and post here every 2 weeks, or so? :)
Yes I promise, I post about every 2 hours even now lol
(already have the donor car, a gt86 that i installed carbon bodywork on. Without engine and all that other drivetrain junk should weigh slightly below 2000 pounds, and im aiming for 3200ish pounds with electric power. Previously, I thought I couldnt use lucid motors so about 1500 hp was possible, with lucid it will probably be 1800-1900 and i can get a frunk!)

Yes I promise, I post about every 2 hours even now lol
(already have the donor car, a gt86 that i installed carbon bodywork on. Without engine and all that other drivetrain junk should weigh slightly below 2000 pounds, and im aiming for 3200ish pounds with electric power. Previously, I thought I couldnt use lucid motors so about 1500 hp was possible, with lucid it will probably be 1800-1900 and i can get a frunk!)
Where are you getting your battery pack from?

Where are you getting your battery pack from?
Actually, I was aiming for a ONE gemini lfp battery. You may know them as the ones who had that 730 mile model s. Their battery pack is technically 200 kwh, but its the same weight as 100 kwh.
For the reasons of being lightweight, im going to order the 100 kwh version of it.(which should weigh around a 50 kwh battery)
However, if I can get lucid battery cells, then I will surely do that. They do come in modules, so ill likely aim for around 60 kwh of lucid batteries.

Back