Luck o' the Irish

Hey, I’m curious - what happens when the new car is worth less than what the old car was worth? I’m curious because I have “agreed value” coverage which values my DE at $191k, which it clearly isn’t going for, at which point taking the cash total loss is a better option and I would just buy a new DE. Was there a “cash” total loss payout option?

I think this varies by insurance company. From a legal standpoint, "agreed value" is not the same as "full replacement cost". My policy uses the term "agreed" value and defines it as determined by discussion between the insurer and the insured based on the prices of similar cars currently offered for sale. If they do not agree, the matter goes to mediation.

I don't have a final settlement figure yet from State Farm. But we did go over all the current internet listings for Dream Edition P's. The less than a dozen prices ranged from the low $120s to the high $150s, with most in the low-mid $130s. However, all these cars had considerably less mileage than the 17,000 miles on our original car.

I was given a preliminary settlement figure of ~$126K, with work still to be done to evaluate the value of the radar installation that originally cost just over $10,000. State Farm also adds sales tax onto the settlement figure, as I lost the trade-in that would lower the sales tax on the new purchase.

However, I didn't want this replacement car to get away, so I just purchased it out of pocket. I'm taking it on faith that State Farm will land in a fair ball park on the value when all is said and done.

The dealer was asking $136,995 and finally took $130,000. He had the car over three months and said he had paid considerably more to get it. I believe that, given that values on the Dream seem to be dropping now that other Lucids are arriving and the Sapphire is in the wings.

On another note, I talked to a PPF installer yesterday. He has already filmed four Lucids in Naples. Given how many we're seeing on the roads around here, I was not surprised.

The car accumulated over 1,000 miles while at the dealer. I'm told it was driven by the owner who loved the car, and the only reason it wasn't driven more was the summer tires in a New Hampshire winter.
I’m curious. If the original owner loved the car, how did it end up at the dealer?

I’m curious. If the original owner loved the car, how did it end up at the dealer?
I think he meant the owner of the dealership.

The original owner was a Florida resident, perhaps elderly (as so many of us down here are). I'm told he found the car too difficult to get into and out of.

I wasn't too suspicious of this for a couple of reasons (although it did make me more determined to find out what Lucid could tell me about the car's history). (1) Many of us on this forum have noted that ease of entry and exit takes some getting used to, especially for the non-spry of limb and body, and (2) I know another owner personally who is considering getting rid of the car for this reason. My financial planner took delivery of his Dream Edition a month before I did in 2021. It has less than 2,000 miles on it. He is partially handicapped and finds getting in and out very difficult, especially reaching to close the doors when they're fully open (which they need to be for him). He finds the car very comfortable once inside and enjoys driving it but is not using it enough to justify keeping it. In fact, he offered it to me when I told him about our accident. (I used the excuse of its being black to decline, but the real reason is that I do not think car sales between business associates is a good idea.) He came out of an Audi A8 and is now considering a Maybach to replace the Air . . . or he may yet keep it.

Even though I find the entry/exit matter to be the biggest downside of the Air, I'm enough of an EV guy to appreciate the reasons for the design. However, I've never gotten over my disappointment that Lucid canceled its plans to put power-operated doors in the upper trim levels.

On the other hand, the car is such an absolutely amazing road machine and luxury ride that entry/exit issues have faded into insignificance for me. Also, we're on our second Model S which we don't even attempt to use when carrying more than two adults because of its hideously cramped rear seat for a car of that size, so I tend to measure the Air against the Tesla in this regard (and the many others in which the Air excels). With the Air gone for now, I've been opting to drive our Honda Odyssey more than the Model S Plaid.

I am confused. Was the car kept and maintained in Florida by this elderly prior owner? Then how did it end up in the Northeast? If he kept it in the Northeast but rarely drove it, why did you mention his being from Florida.

Anyway, if the car was at all used in the Northeast, I would suggest making sure that it gets a good undercar cleaning when it gets to Florida to get rid of any Northeast salt. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal and I am impressed that Lucid assisted as it did on the hunt.

I am confused. Was the car kept and maintained in Florida by this elderly prior owner? Then how did it end up in the Northeast? If he kept it in the Northeast but rarely drove it, why did you mention his being from Florida.

Anyway, if the car was at all used in the Northeast, I would suggest making sure that it gets a good undercar cleaning when it gets to Florida to get rid of any Northeast salt. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal and I am impressed that Lucid assisted as it did on the hunt.

The car was originally delivered out of the Lucid Riviera Beach Service Center near West Palm Beach. The owner of the dealership was down for vacation and went to a car auction where he found the car.

I have lived in Vermont, Massachussetts, and twice in Connecticut and know whereof you speak on road salt. The humid salt air of the first few inland miles of the Florida coast is also rough on any exposed metals. You wouldn't believe how quickly rust sets in on any inadequately protected metal surface . . . and on rubber and plastics . . . and even on reinforced concrete (where the salt penetrates the concrete and rusts the rebar unless it is properly coated before casting.)

The car's going in for PPF as soon as I get it, and the entire first day in the shop is for thorough cleaning and paint correction.

The car was originally delivered out of the Lucid Riviera Beach Service Center near West Palm Beach. The owner of the dealership was down for vacation and went to a car auction where he found the car.

I have lived in Vermont, Massachussetts, and twice in Connecticut and know whereof you speak on road salt. The humid salt air of the first few inland miles of the Florida coast is also rough on any exposed metals. You wouldn't believe how quickly rust sets in on any inadequately protected metal surface.

The car's going in for PPF as soon as I get it, and the entire first day in the shop is for thorough cleaning and paint correction.
Sounds like a good plan. I am a native Connecticutian (New Haven) and went to school in Massachusetts and Connecticut and worked in NYC and Boston before moving to Arizona so I know whereof you speak.

Hmmm . . . I never knew what Connecticut natives called themselves.

I lived in Redding in Fairfield County twice, once while at GE Corporate HQ in Fairfield and once at GE Capital HQ in Stamford.

Beautiful part of the country . . . except to a colleague from Indiana who thought Connecticut had "too many trees".

Hmmm . . . I never knew what Connecticut natives called themselves.

I lived in Redding in Fairfield County twice, once while at GE Corporate HQ in Fairfield and once at GE Capital HQ in Stamford.

Beautiful part of the country . . . except to a colleague from Indiana who thought Connecticut had "too many trees".
Cool. I had a classmate who spent a lot of time at GE corporate...Ben Heineman. By the way, my brother is a Professor at IU and there are lots of trees in Bloomington, Indiana.

Yep, knew Ben in passing. Chief legal officer.

I was in Executive Development. Sort of the stable manager for Jack Welch's key talent pool.

The original owner was a Florida resident, perhaps elderly (as so many of us down here are). I'm told he found the car too difficult to get into and out of.

I wasn't too suspicious of this for a couple of reasons (although it did make me more determined to find out what Lucid could tell me about the car's history). (1) Many of us on this forum have noted that ease of entry and exit takes some getting used to, especially for the non-spry of limb and body, and (2) I know another owner personally who is considering getting rid of the car for this reason. My financial planner took delivery of his Dream Edition a month before I did in 2021. It has less than 2,000 miles on it. He is partially handicapped and finds getting in and out very difficult, especially reaching to close the doors when they're fully open (which they need to be for him). He finds the car very comfortable once inside and enjoys driving it but is not using it enough to justify keeping it. In fact, he offered it to me when I told him about our accident. (I used the excuse of its being black to decline, but the real reason is that I do not think car sales between business associates is a good idea.) He came out of an Audi A8 and is now considering a Maybach to replace the Air . . . or he may yet keep it.

Even though I find the entry/exit matter to be the biggest downside of the Air, I'm enough of an EV guy to appreciate the reasons for the design. However, I've never gotten over my disappointment that Lucid canceled its plans to put power-operated doors in the upper trim levels.

On the other hand, the car is such an absolutely amazing road machine and luxury ride that entry/exit issues have faded into insignificance for me. Also, we're on our second Model S which we don't even attempt to use when carrying more than two adults because of its hideously cramped rear seat for a car of that size, so I tend to measure the Air against the Tesla in this regard (and the many others in which the Air excels). With the Air gone for now, I've been opting to drive our Honda Odyssey more than the Model S Plaid.
Curious, did you ever look into an aftermarket mod to make the doors automatic with a button push?

Curious, did you ever look into an aftermarket mod to make the doors automatic with a button push?

Nope. Is that even possible?

At one point while visiting the studios before production began I was told that the Dream would have the mechanicals for power-operated doors, but they would not be enabled until sensor issues were worked out. So, when I took delivery, I was hoping that a later software update would enable the feature.

On one of the later service visits, though, I was told that the piston that was required on the door stop arm had not been installed in the cars, after all.

Nope. Is that even possible?

At one point while visiting the studios before production began I was told that the Dream would have the mechanicals for power-operated doors, but they would not be enabled until sensor issues were worked out. So, when I took delivery, I was hoping that a later software update would enable the feature.

On one of the later service visits, though, I was told that the piston that was required on the door stop arm had not been installed in the cars, after all.
Like this?

Cool. I had a classmate who spent a lot of time at GE corporate...Ben Heineman. By the way, my brother is a Professor at IU and there are lots of trees in Bloomington, Indiana.

I lived in Fort Wayne, IN (another GE assignment). Our house was in a hilly, wooded island in an ocean of corn fields.

An interesting town, known among consumer goods companies as "the most average town in America". It was a test-marketing bed for all kinds of new consumer products with grocery stores bigger than sports arenas. You could find things there that you couldn't find in New York or Chicago. For instance, a non-calorie fat trade named "Olestra" was test-marketed there ahead of nationwide rollout. It was the first such product that could be used in ice cream and confections. Unfortunately, it ended its run in Fort Wayne, as it had the distressing characteristic of inducing "the runs".

The town also had the best Russian, the second-best Mexican, and the best seafood restaurant I've ever found as well as amazing custom chocolatiers.

That's right, folks. Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I also knew Ben. Had meetings with him on a few occasions.

I lived in Fort Wayne, IN (another GE assignment). Our house was in a hilly, wooded island in an ocean of corn fields.

An interesting town, known among consumer goods companies as "the most average town in America". It was a test-marketing bed for all kinds of new consumer products with grocery stores bigger than sports arenas. You could find things there that you couldn't find in New York or Chicago. For instance, a non-calorie fat trade named "Olestra" was test-marketed there ahead of nationwide rollout. It was the first such product that could be used in ice cream and confections. Unfortunately, it ended its run in Fort Wayne, as it had the distressing characteristic of inducing "the runs".

The town also had the best Russian, the second-best Mexican, and the best seafood restaurant I've ever found as well as amazing custom chocolatiers.

That's right, folks. Fort Wayne, Indiana.
I am old which you can determine based on Ben's being a classmate. I remember when the now Detroit Pistons of the NBA were the Fort Wayne Pistons!

I thought my mileage of 7600 is low, that 4000 miles is even lower, and awesome car to own! It’s not I don’t enjoy driving my AGT, but I traveled much last year and miss it in garage, and when I have chance to drive, I wouldn’t want to risk summer tires in winter temperature.

I really wish Lucid can come up All Season 21” down the road.

I thought my mileage of 7600 is low, that 4000 miles is even lower, and awesome car to own! It’s not I don’t enjoy driving my AGT, but I traveled much last year and miss it in garage, and when I have chance to drive, I wouldn’t want to risk summer tires in winter temperature.

I really wish Lucid can come up All Season 21” down the road.
I had the 21" all season Pirelli P7 Cinturato tires on my Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid and they were very good. That car weighed almost as much as the Lucid so I'm wondering if they would work??

I had the 21" all season Pirelli P7 Cinturato tires on my Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid and they were very good. That car weighed almost as much as the Lucid so I'm wondering if they would work??

I’m so afraid to do things not OEM recommended for this car, mainly because there are so many computer sub systems for this car makes it very custom. Doing radar detector is the only thing I would allowed to try something not endorsed by Lucid.

I hope Lucid can endorse that Pirelli P7 Cinturato tires.

This is a beautiful DE, glad you found it and hopefully your unfortunate detour will come to an end soon!

1680710161910.png

Back