Luck o' the Irish

He's going from 154 to 395

1+5+4=9 (polar extreme)
3+9+5=17=1+7=8 (natural 8, infinity symbol)

#395 > #154 in numerology anyway. 😝

He's going from 154 to 395

Yep. I'm hoping that the later production means it will avoid the few small early-production glitches with the original car (trunk alignment, trunk weather stripping, loose rear license plate). Nothing that was hard to rectify, but an annoyance I'd prefer to avoid.

According to Lucid, someone kept the replacement car up to date with all recall inspections and work (tow hook, front dampers, wiring harness) and has been downloading all the software updates. The car has not yet gone through the two new recall inspections for coolant hose and one other hose or conduit (I forget), but that's only because none of those inspections are yet scheduled.

Lucid has offered to inspect the car for me after delivery just to be sure nothing is overlooked. As the car has to go to a Service Center anyway for lidar recalibration after the new radar/laser detector is installed, I'll just hold off for that visit.

Like this?

I wonder if there would be interference between this and the soft-close mechanism? And whether it would void the warranty on anything related to the doors?

Signed the paperwork today on our replacement car from a New Hampshire dealer: Zenith Red Dream Edition #395. Almost 12,000 fewer miles on the odometer than our original Air. Lucid was very helpful in making the decision: checked service history, state of battery, confirmed all recall inspections had been done and software was current.

Now gotta sit out the 5-10 days for transport to Florida, 5-6 more days getting PPF applied, and 5 more days for radar/laser detector install. Probably close to another month to have unfettered use of the car.
That's good news all the way around, glad to hear that it's all working out for you!

Wow. What a story! Glad nobody was hurt!

Many of us on this forum have noted that ease of entry and exit takes some getting used to, especially for the non-spry of limb and body

After reading this thread, I feel I'm one of the "younger" members at 56.

Regardless, I have "Tricompartment degenerative knee disease" (or something like that, I'm an engineer, not an MD). Which is basically saying my knees are shot with arthritis.

I definitely feel the pain getting in/out. Some days are better than others. My last sedan was back in 2005-6 and a lot has changed since then, mainly my knees just getting worse. I've had all SUVs since then and really enjoy the ease of entrance/exit.

I really like this car, but I think it will be sold when (if) I get my R1S. I will be sad, but that's life. Unless my wife falls in love with it. Otherwise she is keeping the GV-60.

Regardless, I have "Tricompartment degenerative knee disease" (or something like that, I'm an engineer, not an MD). Which is basically saying my knees are shot with arthritis.

I definitely feel the pain getting in/out. Some days are better than others. My last sedan was back in 2005-6 and a lot has changed since then, mainly my knees just getting worse. I've had all SUVs since then and really enjoy the ease of entrance/exit.

I really like this car, but I think it will be sold when (if) I get my R1S. I will be sad, but that's life. Unless my wife falls in love with it. Otherwise she is keeping the GV-60.

Until there is a major breakthrough in battery technology (which nobody sees on the horizon right now), aerodynamics is going to be a key factor in long-range EV cars, i. e., those trying to get north of 400 miles of range.

Lucid has done a spectacular job on the efficiency and packaging front, yielding extraordinary interior and cargo room for a car of its size. But, unfortunately, I have come to the realization that aerodynamic imperatives of long-range EVs are going to keep rooflines low and swept back with the current state of battery technology.

Might it be worth waiting for the Gravity to see how far it goes in tipping the tradeoff toward more entry/exit ease for less range? I suspect you're going to see an SUV that's considerably more roomy and luxurious than the R1S and that betters its range significantly. Lucid has already acknowledged it won't have the off-road chops of the Rivian (or the weight Rivian carries to get it), but I'm guessing that's not really an issue for you.

Unless you are intending to regularly go offroading, the Rivian SUV may be disappointing. It is pretty plain vanilla which is fine for offroading but not so much as a street car. Also, for some reason I don't understand, the Rivian truck gets better reviews than the SUV and it has been having a huge problem with vampire draining.

But there will be many alternatives out there. Genesis has just released the electrified GV70 and it has already released the electrified GV80. If you can manage to drive without ever looking at the vehicle, the BMW IX is a terrific car, just ugly as sin. The Gravity will be released eventually. There are many Audi E-Tron alternatives, etc.

Unless you are intending to regularly go offroading, the Rivian SUV may be disappointing. It is pretty plain vanilla which is fine for offroading but not so much as a street car. Also, for some reason I don't understand, the Rivian truck gets better reviews than the SUV and it has been having a huge problem with vampire draining.

But there will be many alternatives out there. Genesis has just released the electrified GV70 and it has already released the electrified GV80. If you can manage to drive without ever looking at the vehicle, the BMW IX is a terrific car, just ugly as sin. The Gravity will be released eventually. There are many Audi E-Tron alternatives, etc.
How has been your experience with GV60 regarding smoothness of drive, noise inside the vehicle, general luxury feel for GV60? I realize it has a smaller range but Genesis usually does well in luxury at value price.

How has been your experience with GV60 regarding smoothness of drive, noise inside the vehicle, general luxury feel for GV60? I realize it has a smaller range but Genesis usually does well in luxury at value price.
Please start a new thread in the general EV area. This part of the forum is devoted to Lucid Air.

Please start a new thread in the general EV area. This part of the forum is devoted to Lucid Air.
Sure will. For the record, I did not start this discussion. Steve’s message and prior messages talked about R1S and Genesis. So peace!

To get certified by Lucid, a body shop has to send personnel to Lucid HQ in California for training and has to invest in special tooling. The only body shops that are interested in doing that for a low-volume car such as the Lucid seem to be shops that specialize in exotic and ultra-lux cars. That is reflected in their high labor rates and the main reason some owners seem to be having trouble with their insurance claims.

The go-to body shop that Lucid relies on for wrecked cars coming into the Riviera Beach service region is the West Palm Beach shop that handles the Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, and Lamborghini work that abounds in the area. It's a state-of-the-art shop in everything from its paint shop to its upholstery facility, and Lucid tells me the cars they examine in their Service Center before releasing the cars back to the owner come out of that shop like new.
Given the concentration of exotics/ultra-lux cars in the Naples area I'm surprised there isn't a correspondingly high-end body shop too---maybe it's a Lucid-specifiic thing?

Given the concentration of exotics/ultra-lux cars in the Naples area I'm surprised there isn't a correspondingly high-end body shop too---maybe it's a Lucid-specifiic thing?

Naples is an odd town in terms of economic structure -- loads of money but surprisingly few of certain services. Getting a bent wheel repaired means sending it over to Miami. Even getting oil paintings cleaned means leaving them at a certain framing shop until an art restorer makes his monthly trip over from Miami.

Lucid has just certified a fourth body shop in Florida, but it's also on the east coast. They're not sure the certified body shop in Miami has the capacity they'll need as Lucid sales expand, so they wanted another shop ready to go.

Lucid is really making inroads here in Naples. We have seen at least three different white Airs on the road (more, actually, but could only be certain three were not repeat sightings), one of which belongs to one of my partner's weekly tennis opponents. I've already posted a picture of our red Air behind another red Air at a restaurant, and a friend has seen another red Air (verified as different by the wheels). We've seen a black one several times and our first Quantum Gray yesterday. When I called a shop to schedule having PPF applied, I was told they have already done four Airs -- and they're not the only film shop in the area.

The dust is finally settling on this crash. The replacement car will be delivered Sunday (3 days from now).

After all costs (purchase, sales tax, registration fees, and transport fees) are factored in, I'm only going to be about $4,000 out of pocket for the car itself, with half of that from bringing the replacement car down from New Hampshire -- and it has almost 12,000 less miles on the odometer.

The only real loss I'm taking is the radar/laser installation. State Farm took the position that it was "preferential" equipment that adds no value to a car at resale.

Frankly, I think the 12,000 fewer miles on the car I'm getting is worth considerably more than the $4,000 loss I'm incurring so, all in all, it's not a bad outcome.

As for the 17,000 miles on the first car . . . with two other cars in the household, I never expected to run the mileage up so quickly on the Air. But, dammit, I just couldn't stay out of that car. Even one year in, I was always looking for an excuse to drive it. I'm hoping I can cool it a bit with the replacement. But, after reacquainting myself with our Model S Plaid during the Air's absence, I doubt it.

As for the 17,000 miles on the first car . . . with two other cars in the household, I never expected to run the mileage up so quickly on the Air. But, dammit, I just couldn't stay out of that car. Even one year in, I was always looking for an excuse to drive it.
I can relate. I feel the same way about mine.

I think this varies by insurance company. From a legal standpoint, "agreed value" is not the same as "full replacement cost". My policy uses the term "agreed" value and defines it as determined by discussion between the insurer and the insured based on the prices of similar cars currently offered for sale. If they do not agree, the matter goes to mediation.

I don't have a final settlement figure yet from State Farm. But we did go over all the current internet listings for Dream Edition P's. The less than a dozen prices ranged from the low $120s to the high $150s, with most in the low-mid $130s. However, all these cars had considerably less mileage than the 17,000 miles on our original car.

I was given a preliminary settlement figure of ~$126K, with work still to be done to evaluate the value of the radar installation that originally cost just over $10,000. State Farm also adds sales tax onto the settlement figure, as I lost the trade-in that would lower the sales tax on the new purchase.

However, I didn't want this replacement car to get away, so I just purchased it out of pocket. I'm taking it on faith that State Farm will land in a fair ball park on the value when all is said and done.

The dealer was asking $136,995 and finally took $130,000. He had the car over three months and said he had paid considerably more to get it. I believe that, given that values on the Dream seem to be dropping now that other Lucids are arriving and the Sapphire is in the wings.

On another note, I talked to a PPF installer yesterday. He has already filmed four Lucids in Naples. Given how many we're seeing on the roads around here, I was not surprised.
Wow! What a bargain, only $10k more than my AGT, which is also Zenith Red and I absolutely adore the colors. Congrats!!
Until there is a major breakthrough in battery technology (which nobody sees on the horizon right now), aerodynamics is going to be a key factor in long-range EV cars, i. e., those trying to get north of 400 miles of range.

Lucid has done a spectacular job on the efficiency and packaging front, yielding extraordinary interior and cargo room for a car of its size. But, unfortunately, I have come to the realization that aerodynamic imperatives of long-range EVs are going to keep rooflines low and swept back with the current state of battery technology.

Might it be worth waiting for the Gravity to see how far it goes in tipping the tradeoff toward more entry/exit ease for less range? I suspect you're going to see an SUV that's considerably more roomy and luxurious than the R1S and that betters its range significantly. Lucid has already acknowledged it won't have the off-road chops of the Rivian (or the weight Rivian carries to get it), but I'm guessing that's not really an issue for you.
I agree, and I'm also looking forward to the SUV. Here in Utah we had record breaking snowfall and it was actually impossible to drive the Lucid during it because of how high the snow was. I'm really tempted of going Gravity and trading the Air in. I just find it more practical.. But yes I would want around the same range that the Air GT gets for Gravity.

I just got a call from the body repair manager at Lucid (it was 9:30 p.m. his time on a Friday night) asking if anyone had explained to me why our car was totaled. He said it was because they found that the "horseshoe" (a structural element through which the front axle passes) had deformed a bit beyond the couple of millimeters up to which which it can be repaired. The only way to return the car to me would have been to have an entire new body built in the Lucid factory and dropped onto the skateboard, and he said that was beyond the repair capability of a body shop.

He also asked if I was satisfied with the insurance settlement (I am) and if I needed any further help in trying to locate a replacement car (I don't, as Lucid had already helped me check out the car I'm buying).

Also, since Lucid cannot register the car to me in their system until I provide a copy of the title in my name, which will take a while, he said to call him if I need any help in having software updates pushed to me or need anything else while the car is not yet matched to me.

All said and done, I have been astonished at how much behind-the-scenes support I've seen from Lucid in this matter. I'm sure this cannot remain the case as more cars get out into the field, but Lucid seems intent on understanding how the early cars are behaving in accidents and on being sure that a repair network forms and matures under their oversight for future repair work on this somewhat unique car.

The amount of money and resources they are pouring into doing things right in often unseen ways tells me that they are determined to become a premiere automaker.

I just got a call from the body repair manager at Lucid (it was 9:30 p.m. his time on a Friday night) asking if anyone had explained to me why our car was totaled. He said it was because they found that the "horseshoe" (a structural element through which the front axle passes) had deformed a bit beyond the couple of millimeters up to which which it can be repaired. The only way to return the car to me would have been to have an entire new body built in the Lucid factory and dropped onto the skateboard, and he said that was beyond the repair capability of a body shop.

He also asked if I was satisfied with the insurance settlement (I am) and if I needed any further help in trying to locate a replacement car (I don't, as Lucid had already helped me check out the car I'm buying).

Also, since Lucid cannot register the car to me in their system until I provide a copy of the title in my name, which will take a while, he said to call him if I need any help in having software updates pushed to me or need anything else while the car is not yet matched to me.

All said and done, I have been astonished at how much behind-the-scenes support I've seen from Lucid in this matter. I'm sure this cannot remain the case as more cars get out into the field, but Lucid seems intent on understanding how the early cars are behaving in accidents and on being sure that a repair network forms and matures under their oversight for future repair work on this somewhat unique car.

The amount of money and resources they are pouring into doing things right in often unseen ways tells me that they are determined to become a premiere automaker.
Surely, none of this will ever be published by anyone in the autoblogs/news

Back