Lucid vs Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went the reverse route and probably welcome to criticism. I have 3 kids and wife and we chose to skip our Touring reservation in lieu of a used model S plaid.

I am still a very big fan of Lucid the company and it’s mission however I felt the total package of Tesla was better for these reasons:

1) Rear entertainment for kids
2) At this point a much more reliable and available charging network on road trips for holidays which is usually when we travel.
3) it is genuinely a fast car
4) Dynamic air suspension for bumps I used to always scrape my non air suspension ev over couple bumps
5) plaid has improved materials and feel it’s not on par with Lucid but it’s a good effort
6) Active noise cancellation makes it more quiet
7) overall software has more features in Tesla, energy usage report, sentry mode video alarm system, dog away mode, Tesla app has several more features, Netflix Disney plus watch star wars while you charge, consistent 250kw availability, night time light show, Santa sleigh mode.

Overall for the money and since used cars have taken a massive hit overall I thought I got more money for Tesla.

Happy to take your comments.

Attachments

• 473486BA-B560-427E-821C-5A04F18BDF26.jpeg
    473486BA-B560-427E-821C-5A04F18BDF26.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 100
I went the reverse route and probably welcome to criticism. I have 3 kids and wife and we chose to skip our Touring reservation in lieu of a used model S plaid.

I am still a very big fan of Lucid the company and it’s mission however I felt the total package of Tesla was better for these reasons:

2) At this point a much more reliable and available charging network on road trips for holidays which is usually when we travel.
3) it is genuinely a fast car
4) Dynamic air suspension for bumps I used to always scrape my non air suspension ev over couple bumps
5) plaid has improved materials and feel it’s not on par with Lucid but it’s a good effort
7) overall software has more features in Tesla, energy usage report, sentry mode video alarm system, dog away mode, Tesla app has several more features, Netflix Disney plus watch star wars while you charge, consistent 250kw availability, night time light show, Santa sleigh mode.

Overall for the money and since used cars have taken a massive hit overall I thought I got more money for Tesla.

Happy to take your comments.
Looks like sound reasoning. I suppose I could have made a similar choice (just got my Touring a few weeks ago) but my past experience with Tesla made it a non-starter for me. I looked for alternatives and was happy to find the Lucid. For my personal needs, the heightened luxury and better drive far outweighed the entertainment software factor. We’ll see how the charging goes.

I do hope Lucid is looking to add things like sentry, dog mode, and camping mode.

Enjoy. And congrats.

It is true that the Air cannot raise its ride height. However, in other key respects -- ride compliance and handling precision -- the Lucid suspension is superior. (We owned a 2015 Model S P90D and now have a Model S Plaid, both with air suspensions.)

The active noise cancellation was not activated in our Plaid until several months after delivery (August 2021). We could detect no change in interior noise levels after its activation. Moreover, its interior noise level remains higher than the Air's. Part of this is because road and wind noise is less in the Air. But part of it is also because the Plaid has developed body squeaks and groans while the Air (with similar mileage on the odometer) has not.

Looks like sound reasoning. I suppose I could have made a similar choice (just got my Touring a few weeks ago) but my past experience with Tesla made it a non-starter for me. I looked for alternatives and was happy to find the Lucid. For my personal needs, the heightened luxury and better drive far outweighed the entertainment software factor. We’ll see how the charging goes.

I do hope Lucid is looking to add things like sentry, dog mode, and camping mode.

Enjoy. And congrats.
Yes if Lucid shortens the gap on software and charging availability improves then it becomes a really competitive option. Hope you post some about your touring. I had a touring stealth order for Q1 but not sure if it’s officially cancelled cancelled. It’s hard to give up a plaid speed at 1025hp.

It is true that the Air cannot raise its ride height. However, in other key respects -- ride compliance and handling precision -- the Lucid suspension is superior. (We owned a 2015 Model S P90D and now have a Model S Plaid, both with air suspensions.)

The active noise cancellation was not activated in our Plaid until several months after delivery (August 2021). We could detect no change in interior noise levels after its activation. Moreover, it interior noise level remains higher than the Air's. Part of this is because road and wind noise is less in the Air. But part of it is also because the Plaid has developed body squeaks and groans while the Air (with similar mileage on the odometer) has not.
I thought Plaid has better overall sound system compared to the GT. I am sure you must have opinion owning both .

I thought Plaid has better overall sound system compared to the GT. I am sure you must have opinion owning both .

For the bulk of listening for the bulk of people, both cars will provide very good sound quality. I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

The Air's system is more sensitive to source selection, with sources such as Tidal HiFi providing sound superior to the Tesla's system, but with inferior source material perhaps sounding a bit better in the Plaid. In other words, the Air's system is more revealing.

Personally, I find the Plaid's sound "punchier" and capable of more "bass kick". But I find the Air's system more accurate, including in the bass range.

In terms of sound stage, when listening to Atmos-encoded sources, the Air easily trounces the Tesla. Otherwise, they're pretty much equal.

For the bulk of listening for the bulk of people, both cars will provide very good sound quality. I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

The Air's system is more sensitive to source selection, with sources such as Tidal HiFi providing sound superior to the Tesla's system, but with inferior source material perhaps sounding a bit better in the Plaid. In other words, the Air's system is more revealing.

Personally, I find the Plaid's sound "punchier" and capable of more "bass kick". But I find the Air's system more accurate, including in the bass range.
I agree with that conclusion. So plaid has that punchier bass but maybe not the audiophile accuracy.

Yes, that is good plus on Tesla to provide theatrical entertainment for backseaters.
I agree it is much easier to find Tesla supercharger stations in Texas and CCS stations have much to improve.
I think Plaid feel more luxury than previous model-S. But the creature of comfort in Lucid perforated seats just made me in love with those seats.
I agree. There are more things one can do in Tesla than in Lucid while car is being charge. I hope Lucid can add more features to close that gap gradually. CarPlay, AndroidAuto and YouTube can be good start.
Yes, I start seeing more used Tesla being flooding into Carvana and other sites. It makes good economic sense to purchase feasonable price at competitive secondary market. I think you made good choice.

As for me, I still admire Model-X Falcon wings, Tesla supercharging network and their infotainment system. The biggest holdback for me not to get a Tesla was when hearing many Tesla owners telling me “You will love your Tesla after you get a Tesla but not until there is issue, then you will hate Tesla.” It’s mostly their company scaling failed to address fit and finish and servicing customers issues.

Attachments

• 7D1AF7B1-CC10-4993-9326-2BE71AA7BE2F.jpeg
    7D1AF7B1-CC10-4993-9326-2BE71AA7BE2F.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 358F1DB5-D82D-4013-9945-29D5F941775C.jpeg
    358F1DB5-D82D-4013-9945-29D5F941775C.jpeg
    865.6 KB · Views: 81
We had recent service on the plaid the whole experience is completely painless.

They give you Uber credit to make sure you can get home. They constantly communicate, you approve an estimate they have a full staff you can see every little progress on the car. They can also message you through Tesla app.

I don’t exactly know Lucid service is but I had an incident with Turo and off road incident and they could not even provide me lucid invoice with part numbers

Attachments

• 55056286-4122-41B5-AB4B-44A736128D39.jpeg
    55056286-4122-41B5-AB4B-44A736128D39.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 89
We had recent service on the plaid the whole experience is completely painless.

They give you Uber credit to make sure you can get home. They constantly communicate, you approve an estimate they have a full staff you can see every little progress on the car. They can also message you through Tesla app.

I don’t exactly know Lucid service is but I had an incident with Turo and off road incident and they could not even provide me lucid invoice with part numbers
It's different when you aren't the owner of the car.

I worked with owner well at least I emailed the owner who emailed lucid then yeah we never got a part number
Lucid explanation was that unless the car is placed into service they don’t provide estimate or part numbers it was pretty strange

Your reasoning sounds solid for you, though I'd question if you even need the insane acceleration that Plaid gives you given that it's still severely underbraked. I won't launch the Plaid again after feeling the front end give up the goose a few times, especially not with someone else in the car. I'll launch the DE over and over (on the 21s).

Can't help but disagree on this one; I still find the Plaid's interior severely lacking.

Compared to previous Teslas? Sure, maybe. Compared to the Lucid it's still insanely loud.

Lucid explanation was that unless the car is placed into service they don’t provide estimate or part numbers it was pretty strange
This is confusing; I remember this happening, but it is definitely not the typical service experience. I suspect it had to do with you not being the actual owner and it being a game of telephone, but who knows.

You can get a low milage Plaid for low 90s at dealers now. Private deals are even better. That is price of a loaded up Pure. That said, it's hard to compare used & new, since most car loose 20% MSRP the moment you drive it off the lot, except the Land Cruiser.

If you don't mind the look (still decent, but clearly shows its 10 years age), then a used Plaid is a decent deal - it's fun to drive & fast. If you want quality luxury EV, with fantastic power & range, then the Touring is perhaps the best deal (Motortrend confirmed this).

MeazG8F.jpg

Your reasoning sounds solid for you, though I'd question if you even need the insane acceleration that Plaid gives you given that it's still severely underbraked. I won't launch the Plaid again after feeling the front end give up the goose a few times, especially not with someone else in the car. I'll launch the DE over and over (on the 21s).

Can't help but disagree on this one; I still find the Plaid's interior severely lacking.

Compared to previous Teslas? Sure, maybe. Compared to the Lucid it's still insanely loud.

This is confusing; I remember this happening, but it is definitely not the typical service experience. I suspect it had to do with you not being the actual owner and it being a game of telephone, but who knows.
You didn’t refute the software point

Well, for me, NOT having Netflix, Disney +, watching star wars while you charge, a nighttime light show, or Santa sleigh mode, are distinct advantages of the Lucid. I actually prefer Lucid software because it is mostly about driving. I owned a 2022 Model S and never used those things. But to each their own!

Well, for me, NOT having Netflix, Disney +, watching star wars while you charge, a nighttime light show, or Santa sleigh mode, are distinct advantages of the Lucid. I actually prefer Lucid software because it is mostly about driving. I owned a 2022 Model S and never used those things. But to each their own!
One is called “Generation X tech”, the other is called “Timeless classiness”. 😄

Ok you've made your argument for why you chose the Plaid over a Lucid. Given your reasons and opinions it does make sense for you to have chosen the Plaid. I guess I'm wondering why are you still here on the Lucid "Owners" Forum? Move on please.

I wasn't trying to. I agree the Tesla has more features. I disagree that that's important.

I do not care that my turn signals don't sound like sleight bells. I had that on for about a minute while I played with it to see what it was in my rented Model Y and could not turn it off fast enough.

But, as a fact, you're right - the Tesla has more features. I just don't care for many of them, and hope Lucid only builds the obviously useful ones; dog mode, sentry, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back