Lucid vs Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a refresh Model S and in no way did he downgrade the breaks. The misinformation on this forum towards Tesla is getting really old. Just stop it. Some this crap is just pure lies.

My brakes on my Model S work awesome. Actually, I barely use them with regen and neither should anyone that owns an EV. A person made a turn right in front of me while I was accelerating two weeks ago (she did not see me) and my car stopped dead in its tracks. Was super impressive and if I did no have the Model S, it would have been a guaranteed accident.

And fyi - I have a Pure on order and probably upgrading to a Touring after a test drive this weekend, if I really like the Lucid. But, I still love my Model S.
I bet you didn't click on the link.
This is about model Y.

Lucid is not selling anything they don’t have; they are very clear with what DreamDrive Pro does today, and that it will have more features in the future. They also aren’t claiming it will be ‘full self driving’ or any other nonsense, or that it is already there, which is what Tesla is doing.

Back when we still had our first Tesla (2015 Model S P90D) and I had put down a deposit on a Lucid Air Dream, I began the long process of learning as much as I could about Lucid ahead of deciding whether I really wanted to buy a car that expensive from an early production run. Part of that process was to follow as many written and video interviews as I could find with Lucid personnel.

I still remember an interview Peter Rawlinson gave about ADAS in early days. He said that software -- and especially ADAS software -- was outside his realm of expertise and recounted the discussions he had been having with individuals and companies that were developing autonomous driving systems. He said that everyone in the field (outside of Tesla) was telling him that true self-driving in all conditions on all roads was an absolute minimum of at least ten years and several tens of billion of development dollars away from realization and that it might not even be attainable based on what could be done with the just vehicle without changes in roadway design and infrastructure. Rawlinson promised that Lucid would have some ADAS features, that some of them would not come until 18 months after first production runs, and that they would remain in the realm of Level 2 or 2+ features for the foreseeable future.

At the time of this interview, I was watching one feature after another being deactivated in the $3,000 "Enhanced Autopilot" option we had purchased for our Tesla (the only ADAS option Tesla offered at the time). It could no longer be set to drive more than 5 miles above the speed limit. It would no longer operate on some surface roads where it had earlier. Automatic lane change was turned off. In short, this $3,000 option on a car that already cost $125,000 was reduced to nothing more than adaptive cruise control with lane keeping assist.

Yet, at the same time, Tesla was beginning to talk about its "full self-driving" system that would be operable in a few months . . . no, early next year . . . no, later next year . . . no, the year after . . . . . . And it could be had for the bargain price of $5,000 . . . no, $10,000 . . . no, $12,000 . . . no, $15,000.

This contrast between Rawlinson's candor regarding ADAS and Musk's overblown marketing hype and rapacious pricing was the point at which I decided Lucid really was worth watching.

And when bought our Model S Plaid in 2021, we took a pass on its "full self driving" option. Fool me once . . . .

Back when we still had our first Tesla (2015 Model S P90D) and I had put down a deposit on a Lucid Air Dream, I began the long process of learning as much as I could about Lucid ahead of deciding whether I really wanted to buy a car that expensive from an early production run. Part of that process was to follow as many written and video interviews as I could find with Lucid personnel.

I still remember an interview Peter Rawlinson gave about ADAS in early days. He said that software -- and especially ADAS software -- was outside his realm of expertise and recounted the discussions he had been having with individuals and companies that were developing autonomous driving systems. He said that everyone in the field (outside of Tesla) was telling him that true self-driving in all conditions on all roads was an absolute minimum of at least ten years and several tens of billion of development dollars away from realization and that it might not even be attainable based on what could be done with the just vehicle without changes in roadway design and infrastructure. Rawlinson promised that Lucid would have some ADAS features, that some of them would not come until 18 months after first production runs, and that they would remain in the realm of Level 2 or 2+ features for the foreseeable future.

At the time of this interview, I was watching one feature after another being deactivated in the $3,000 "Enhanced Autopilot" option we had purchased for our Tesla (the only ADAS option Tesla offered at the time). It could no longer be set to drive more than 5 miles above the speed limit. It would no longer operate on some surface roads where it had earlier. Automatic lane change was turned off. In short, this $3,000 option on a car that already cost $125,000 was reduced to nothing more than adaptive cruise control with lane keeping assist.

Yet, at the same time, Tesla was beginning to talk about its "full self-driving" system that would be operable in a few months . . . no, early next year . . . no, later next year . . . no, the year after . . . . . . And it could be had for the bargain price of $5,000 . . . no, $10,000 . . . no, $12,000 . . . no, $15,000.

This contrast between Rawlinson's candor regarding ADAS and Musk's overblown marketing hype and rapacious pricing was the point at which I decided Lucid really was worth watching.

And when bought our Model S Plaid in 2021, we took a pass on its "full self driving" option. Fool me once . . . .
I do agree I also passed on FSD their autopilot free option is plenty for me. Also if we do ever want to try I like that you could subscribe to it and then be done.

I went the reverse route and probably welcome to criticism. I have 3 kids and wife and we chose to skip our Touring reservation in lieu of a used model S plaid.

I am still a very big fan of Lucid the company and it’s mission however I felt the total package of Tesla was better for these reasons:

1) Rear entertainment for kids
2) At this point a much more reliable and available charging network on road trips for holidays which is usually when we travel.
3) it is genuinely a fast car
4) Dynamic air suspension for bumps I used to always scrape my non air suspension ev over couple bumps
5) plaid has improved materials and feel it’s not on par with Lucid but it’s a good effort
6) Active noise cancellation makes it more quiet
7) overall software has more features in Tesla, energy usage report, sentry mode video alarm system, dog away mode, Tesla app has several more features, Netflix Disney plus watch star wars while you charge, consistent 250kw availability, night time light show, Santa sleigh mode.

Overall for the money and since used cars have taken a massive hit overall I thought I got more money for Tesla.

Happy to take your comments.
This might work for you. But one could make an equally long (or longer) list of reasons why the Lucid is better.

Tesla:
With the recent price cuts across the board it’s gonna be tough for OEM’S to compete with them in the EV world 40-75K price point.
Even price reduced on
Plaid at 114K that a tough pass on the luxury side for the $

This might work for you. But one could make an equally long (or longer) list of reasons why the Lucid is better.
I offer 3 damn good reasons why Lucid is better.
1. Radar
2. Parking Sensors
3. Lidar.

Good luck with AI in the cloud. Just drive the Tesla as you did the old ICE car without any of the above for your own safety.

My GT is in for service so I rented a Model 3. It's my first extended exposure to a Tesla. A few observations:

1. It's not fair comparing the drive to the Lucid as they are not apples to apples. But I'd say the 3 reminds me on a Nissan Sentra or Honda Civic.
2. The interior is very spartan. I don't like the seats.
3. The cabin noise is considerably louder than the air.
4. I HATE the huge screen in the middle. It's is an eyesore and out of place. Who wants to look at the middle of the car for their speed?!??!!?
5. I really like their (not sure what to call it) visual representation of your car and it's surroundings. Traffic cones, garbage cans, etc. all show up on screen. I like that alot!
6. I like the multiple wireless charging spots and how the phone sits in it making the phone viewable and accessible.
7. I also really like how the car remains unlocked unless you tap the B pillar. And it stays asleep until I unlock it.
8. I don't have a huge desire for the sentry mode recordings, but that is pretty damn cool!

My GT is in for service so I rented a Model 3. It's my first extended exposure to a Tesla. A few observations:

1. It's not fair comparing the drive to the Lucid as they are not apples to apples. But I'd say the 3 reminds me on a Nissan Sentra or Honda Civic.
2. The interior is very spartan. I don't like the seats.
3. The cabin noise is considerably louder than the air.
4. I HATE the huge screen in the middle. It's is an eyesore and out of place. Who wants to look at the middle of the car for their speed?!??!!?
5. I really like their (not sure what to call it) visual representation of your car and it's surroundings. Traffic cones, garbage cans, etc. all show up on screen. I like that alot!
6. I like the multiple wireless charging spots and how the phone sits in it making the phone viewable and accessible.
7. I also really like how the car remains unlocked unless you tap the B pillar. And it stays asleep until I unlock it.
8. I don't have a huge desire for the sentry mode recordings, but that is pretty damn cool!
I agree on all counts.

For #7: this is only because it’s a rental, and you don’t get mobile app access or the fob; I have the same thing with my Model Y from Hertz. You can accomplish the same with a Lucid by solely using the valet card for access.

I have a refresh Model S and in no way did he downgrade the breaks. The misinformation on this forum towards Tesla is getting really old. Just stop it. Some this crap is just pure lies.

My brakes on my Model S work awesome. Actually, I barely use them with regen and neither should anyone that owns an EV. A person made a turn right in front of me while I was accelerating two weeks ago (she did not see me) and my car stopped dead in its tracks. Was super impressive and if I did no have the Model S, it would have been a guaranteed accident.

And fyi - I have a Pure on order and probably upgrading to a Touring after a test drive this weekend, if I really like the Lucid. But, I still love my Model S.
This has nothing to do with the Model S. I suggest reading the article.

I just sold my 2022 Tesla S yesterday. I know this thread is about a Y, but it follows similar decision points for me.

There's no question that Tesla has the best software experience for every day usability (outside of FSD). It's going to take Lucid a long time to catch up on the basics (Mobile app, key behavior, HVAC settings, Homelink, etc). If they can get Android Auto/CarPlay right that will help a bit as I really missed that in the Tesla after having it in another car when using voice control for phone calls and nav.

What strikes me the most when comparing the Teslas to the Air is how much better the Air nails the basics of driving, and how it handles inclement weather. When I got the S, and my friend the Y, we were both expecting a certain level of ride refinement (based on the purchase price) that just wasn't there. Bouncy suspension on the S and rougher ride on the Y that was validated by both of our wives. The first day I had my Air Touring on some back roads I couldn't believe the difference in ride and I continue to appreciate it. I also live in a snowy climate and the Tesla was not a great car here. It handled well in the snow, but the little things like the wipers stuttering and smearing the window and the cameras/sensors stopping working almost immediately in storms, made me really dislike it in winter. I've had the Air in three snow storms now and it's significantly better.

Most modern cars will stop the same way. Emergency front braking. Not unique to Tesla at all.

By the way...if the cameras on the Tesla saw her and stopped the car, why didn't you?

Also...Teslas don't use blended braking so one pedal driving on a Tesla makes perfect sense. But many if not most of the newer EVs are using blending braking so the brake pedal will initiate regeneration. Not using the brakes on a Tesla makes sense but DBV shouldn't be generalizing from that (I understand that Lucid also doesn't do blended braking so one pedal driving on a Lucid also makes sense).

It's going to take Lucid a long time to catch up on the basics (Mobile app, key behavior, HVAC settings, Homelink, etc).

We have a 2021 Model S Plaid. While I agree that Tesla's software is generally ahead of Lucid's in reliability, it's not all roses. We have periodic issues with the key fob either failing to open the doors and/or, if it does, failing to start the car. (This never happened in our 2015 Model S.) Almost every week we have a few episodes where we can only start the car by rubbing the key card over the phone charger pad. And, once it happens, it happens for the rest of the day every time we get back in the car, only clearing up after an overnight park.

I also find it very difficult to adjust the A/C temperature in the Tesla, especially if the car is moving. And having to go into a menu to redirect the air vents -- again, especially if the car is moving -- is true aggravation. Of course, some things can be done with voice control -- if it doesn't try to take you to a pizza parlor when you've asked to raise the temperature.

We have a 2021 Model S Plaid. While I agree that Tesla's software is generally ahead of Lucid's in reliability, it's not all roses. We have periodic issues with the key fob either failing to open the doors and/or, if it does, failing to start the car. (This never happened in our 2015 Model S.) Almost every week we have a few episodes where we can only start the car by rubbing the key card over the phone charger pad. And, once it happens, it happens for the rest of the day every time we get back in the car, only clearing up after an overnight park.

I also find it very difficult to adjust the A/C temperature in the Tesla, especially if the car is moving. And having to go into a menu to redirect the air vents -- again, especially if the car is moving -- is true aggravation. Of course, some things can be done with voice control -- if it doesn't try to take you to a pizza parlor when you've asked to raise the temperature.
... and this is from the member who has both, drivers both and clearly understands both.
I don't think he is biased/swayed either way.

After trading in the Plaid for a Touring, we also recently got a Model 3 performance as a daily car and grocery getter. I just love both the Lucid and Tesla.

I had a BMW 3 series rental on a business trip recently, and driving it felt like going back in time. I know this thread is Lucid vs Tesla, but both cars are quite different and each do certain things really well. I'm just glad I don't have to ever own an ICE car again

Full agreement. I had just started to get the message on my S to use my key card towards the end of last year, which was odd. Turning off/on Bluetooth on my phone would fix it but my wife wouldn't have known to do that. We also found the HVAC controls to be way too small on the screen resulting in multiple taps to get it correct. Also wasn't a fan of blind spot camera on center screen vs gauge cluster.

I just owned a Rivian R1S for 6 hours, I echo the same regarding HVAC, system controls. I will enumerate pros and cons of Rivian vs Lucid in another thread. Meanwhile, I am enjoying southern California weather next few days with this new head turner.

Most modern cars will stop the same way. Emergency front braking. Not unique to Tesla at all.

By the way...if the cameras on the Tesla saw her and stopped the car, why didn't you?

Also...Teslas don't use blended braking so one pedal driving on a Tesla makes perfect sense. But many if not most of the newer EVs are using blending braking so the brake pedal will initiate regeneration. Not using the brakes on a Tesla makes sense but DBV shouldn't be generalizing from that (I understand that Lucid also doesn't do blended braking so one pedal driving on a Lucid also makes sense).
I did see the person turning and did stop the car too. Why do you care and even raise that as a question? And I do know most modern cars do that.

Tesla Model S can use blended braking in an update that was issued last year.

And why should I not be generalizing? Have you owned or own a Tesla?

Article on braking:

Tired of the some of the negativity of Tesla on this forum and some of the clueless responses. Any comparisons that reference a Model 3/Y compared to Lucid Air are irrelevant. Only valid comparisons are Model S to Lucid Air. Y/3 are not even close to Model S/X or Lucid Air.

I did see the person turning and did stop the car too. Why do you care and even raise that as a question? And I do know most modern cars do that.

Tesla Model S can use blended braking in an update that was issued last year.

And why should I not be generalizing? Have you owned or own a Tesla?

Article on braking:

Tired of the some of the negativity of Tesla on this forum and some of the clueless responses. Any comparisons that reference a Model 3/Y compared to Lucid Air are irrelevant. Only valid comparisons are Model S to Lucid Air. Y/3 are not even close to Model S/X or Lucid Air.
Wouldn't it be easier to leave the forum and then you won't see all the negative feedback of the Teslas? You can always come back once you have a Lucid. By the way, I don't own a Tesla nor am I interested in one since I have a Lucid.

Wouldn't it be easier to leave the forum and then you won't see all the negative feedback of the Teslas? You can always come back once you have a Lucid. By the way, I don't own a Tesla nor am I interested in one since I have a Lucid.
Why - when I enjoy most of the forum posts and learning more about Lucid, except for some posters that are so negative or post nonsense about Tesla. Would you like inaccurate statements or negativity if it was on Lucid? It should not be that way and I am not alone, as I have seen other people get bashed that defended Tesla too. That is not right. It is almost like they are jealous that Tesla has been so successful. Just weird…

And I will be a Lucid owner. Have one on order and doing my first test drive on Sunday. So, I will be part of the Lucid family and when I do, I will not be some person that bashes Tesla, just because I own a Lucid or some a different make. Just stupid, but that is how some people are in this world right now.. No manners what so ever and act like know it all’s. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back