Lucid vs Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clearsky

Hi all, I currently have a 4 year old Tesla model 3 dual motor and have been thinking it's time to upgrade. I'm lookin at a Lucid Touring vs a Tesla model S.
Has anyone gone from a 3 or S to a Touring? The look and range of a Lucid is what is appealing. I do like the Tesla supercharging network but I don't travel really long distances anymore.
Is the Lucid interface much different than Tesla? How is build quality and service? Probably asking the Lucid fan club here, but any input is appreciated.

Hi all, I currently have a 4 year old Tesla model 3 dual motor and have been thinking it's time to upgrade. I'm lookin at a Lucid Touring vs a Tesla model S.
Has anyone gone from a 3 or S to a Touring? The look and range of a Lucid is what is appealing. I do like the Tesla supercharging network but I don't travel really long distances anymore.
Is the Lucid interface much different than Tesla? How is build quality and service? Probably asking the Lucid fan club here, but any input is appreciated.
I have had both a Model S & 3. My spouse loves her Model 3 but my Lucid Air GT is head and shoulders above any of my Teslas. The driving experience is fantastic and the engineering is above reproach. There are some fit and finish issues but service is exceptional and will handle those. The only downside I have after a month of ownership is that I miss many of the software features that Tesla offers. Lucid is rapidly catching up and I believe within the next year or so, their software will rival Tesla. In my opinion, you cannot even put the Model S in the luxury category with Lucid.
I still drive my Model 3 but mainly when I am going to Home Depot or a mall....afraid to get a ding in my toy.

I have had both a Model S & 3. My spouse loves her Model 3 but my Lucid Air GT is head and shoulders above any of my Teslas. The driving experience is fantastic and the engineering is above reproach. There are some fit and finish issues but service is exceptional and will handle those. The only downside I have after a month of ownership is that I miss many of the software features that Tesla offers. Lucid is rapidly catching up and I believe within the next year or so, their software will rival Tesla. In my opinion, you cannot even put the Model S in the luxury category with Lucid.
I still drive my Model 3 but mainly when I am going to Home Depot or a mall....afraid to get a ding in my toy.
I also have a Lucid Air GT and a Tesla 3. I totally agree with @SubSailor. My experience has been the same. The Lucid software has made amazing strides in the past 2 months.

I traded in my 2022 Model S for my Lucid AGT. As @SubSailor reports, the Lucid is far, far superior to my Model S in almost every respect. It is a driving dream. Its technology is subtle and centered on the driver, Lucid service is personal and warm, and Lucid does not bark at or threaten to punish you, ever, as my Model S regularly did. Its interior is light-years ahead of Tesla. The fit and finish is stellar. The only major difference is the FSD vs. HA. But nevertheless, I prefer HA as easier to use and without phantom braking. Tesla also has some very minor software conveniences (like dog mode and farting noises), but I do not miss those at all.

I agree with @SubSailor, you can't even put a Tesla in the same category as the Lucid.

Enjoy.

Same here. We have a Model 3 and just got the AT. So far love the way it drives and the interior finishes are head’s and tails above our Tesla which we still love. We went with Lucid Air over the Model S and even X because I have 2 teenage boys that are almost 6’ at 14 and 15 years old. I wanted something that had plenty of leg room in the back as well as comfort and range when we are on the road to travel sports weekends out of town. I also miss some of the software features like; automatic Homelink opening my gate and garage, Visual Lane and other Car references while driving, Having Video Apps and Games, Dog Mode to name a few. I am sure it will catch up on the features its just a matter of when which is the great thing about software!

Ask me sometime next week. I'm about to go from a Dual Motor Model 3 to an Air Touring.

You will find lots of former (and current) Tesla owners here on the forum. I suspect you'll get a good variety of responses to your query.

For my part, I've only test driven the Air so far. (Taking delivery next week, with any luck.) But I liked the ride infinitely better even just in that short time I had to drive it. And as far as software goes, I have my issues with Tesla, anyway. So while there may still be some bugs to iron out on the Lucid side, it's not like Tesla's interface is anywhere near what I could call perfect. I actually think it's been getting progressively worse over time, with the constant hiding of more and more features inside sub screens and menus. And it's fairly ugly. (And don't get me started on FSD, as it's been a disaster for me over the past three years.)

What I like from what I've seen following Lucid over the last year or so is that they know they have room to improve, and they are making great strides in a short amount of time. I think they got off to a rocky start, but they are well on their way now. Tesla may have more features that Lucid is still working on, some of which are actually very useful (such as Dog Mode, Sentry Mode, and so on) but Lucid has some advantages, such as CarPlay and Android Auto, which should be arriving very soon, which Tesla has no plans to implement.

Overall, I'd say the focus of Lucid is more on driving pleasure and luxury. While Tesla is very technologically focused (obsessive even, some would say, with the devotion to FSD and entertainment).

Lucid is focused on having a blast driving and making sure your passengers are as comfortable during the ride as possible. Lucid is a company run by people who like to drive, in other words.

Tesla seems to have more of a team who want their cars to drive them. Oh, and fart noises. They do have fart noises.

You can spend hours and hours researching things on forums and comparing everything from battery size to how good the massage seats are. But in the end you will save yourself a lot of time by just test driving them both for about 30 min.

Some shopping is better done in person. Hopefully you can find some near you to test drive!

Wondering, why nobody is mentioning disastrous Tesla's brakes performance or suicidal yolk/steering "wheel".
Btw, why nobody can test drive model S/Plaid?

I sold my 2018 "Stealth" performance Model 3 of four years and waited for delivery of my Air GT. As others have said, there is no comparison. In short, the Air is a car designed by grownups. Our Model 3 felt like a stripped-down kit car, rough and ready, and was missing several comfort and safety features we've used daily in our Air and our other EV, a Volvo XC40: blind-spot warning in side mirrors where it belongs, 360-degree parking cameras, and auto rear cross traffic/pedestrian warning and braking. Our Model 3 also had a rough, noisy ride. The Air is much quieter, with a well controlled but much more comfortable ride and great handling. The Air's software is in its early stages but is improving rapidly.

Ask me sometime next week. I'm about to go from a Dual Motor Model 3 to an Air Touring.

You will find lots of former (and current) Tesla owners here on the forum. I suspect you'll get a good variety of responses to your query.

For my part, I've only test driven the Air so far. (Taking delivery next week, with any luck.) But I liked the ride infinitely better even just in that short time I had to drive it. And as far as software goes, I have my issues with Tesla, anyway. So while there may still be some bugs to iron out on the Lucid side, it's not like Tesla's interface is anywhere near what I could call perfect. I actually think it's been getting progressively worse over time, with the constant hiding of more and more features inside sub screens and menus. And it's fairly ugly. (And don't get me started on FSD, as it's been a disaster for me over the past three years.)

What I like from what I've seen following Lucid over the last year or so is that they know they have room to improve, and they are making great strides in a short amount of time. I think they got off to a rocky start, but they are well on their way now. Tesla may have more features that Lucid is still working on, some of which are actually very useful (such as Dog Mode, Sentry Mode, and so on) but Lucid has some advantages, such as CarPlay and Android Auto, which should be arriving very soon, which Tesla has no plans to implement.

Overall, I'd say the focus of Lucid is more on driving pleasure and luxury. While Tesla is very technologically focused (obsessive even, some would say, with the devotion to FSD and entertainment).

Lucid is focused on having a blast driving and making sure your passengers are as comfortable during the ride as possible. Lucid is a company run by people who like to drive, in other words.

Tesla seems to have more of a team who want their cars to drive them. Oh, and fart noises. They do have fart noises.
Thank you, I feel the same about FSD. I haven't had a test drive (I'm in flyover country but hop to get to Chicago soon) but I assume a Lucid will be very quick and hopefully as nimble as my 3.

I sold my 2018 "Stealth" performance Model 3 of four years and waited for delivery of my Air GT. As others have said, there is no comparison. In short, the Air is a car designed by grownups. Our Model 3 felt like a stripped-down kit car, rough and ready, and was missing several comfort and safety features we've used daily in our Air and our other EV, a Volvo XC40: blind-spot warning in side mirrors where it belongs, 360-degree parking cameras, and auto rear cross traffic/pedestrian warning and braking. Our Model 3 also had a rough, noisy ride. The Air is much quieter, with a well controlled but much more comfortable ride and great handling. The Air's software is in its early stages but is improving rapidly.
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback!

Lucid head and shoulders above tesla in terms of quality and drive. I have model Y and had model S

Tesla as of now has an upper hand in the software however this is something I feel will change as lucid keeps updating.

The highway assist is much better then tesla auto pilot.

Tesla supercharging network is superior to any charging networks available to any other EV.

Lucid > Tesla - no question

You'll see and hear many different perspectives from former / current Tesla owners who've gotten their Lucid, but the one that stands out the most to me is the ride - absolute game changer, especially if you actually like to drive. People will say the S has air suspension which they claim will make it superior (the Lucid does not), yet one drive and you'll never one to go back. Next up...

Thanks for the feedback. I do love my 3 but would like something a bit more comfortable.

Wondering, why nobody is mentioning disastrous Tesla's brakes performance or suicidal yolk/steering "wheel".
Btw, why nobody can test drive model S/Plaid?
The yoke steering was tolerable, but I did mention Tesla's phantom brakes. Tesla's suspension is awful. I felt better driving dynamics in a Toyota Corolla than in the Model S. Model S was noisy, too. I was so thrilled with the Lucid Air, probably by comparison. Just because they call it "air brakes" doesn't mean they know how to build a suspension. Moreover, FSD makes such bad decisions that a) you get honked at, and b) one gradually stops using it.

These are just my opinions. I like cars.

Lucid head and shoulders above tesla in terms of quality and drive. I have model Y and had model S

Tesla as of now has an upper hand in the software however this is something I feel will change as lucid keeps updating.

The highway assist is much better then tesla auto pilot.

Tesla supercharging network is superior to any charging networks available to any other EV.

Lucid > Tesla - no question
Thank you. I would be sorry to leave the supercharging network although I don't use it much anymore. I'm about 6 hours from a Lucid dealer and hope to get there for a test drive soon.

Wow! I m blown away by the various responses you got. I have never owned a Tesla nor really thought much about getting one. They are just getting too common and I wanted something more distinctive. Plus, I never really paid close attention to posts one this forum that compared Tesla to Lucid. The number of posts you received from former or exisiting Tesla owners who prefer the Lucid and why simply blows me away. Now... here is fodder for one of those articles that scoops up forum post comments and then publishes a piece....I'm just sayin'

We had a 2015 Model S P90D and now have a 2021 Model S Plaid. We also have a Lucid Air Dream Performance.

The Lucid is easily the superior car: much more interior room, quieter and more compliant ride, better handling, and better build quality. (We've had a few build/assembly issues with our Air Dream -- mostly because it was a fairly early build -- but fewer than with our newest Tesla.)

My brother has a 2018 Model 3 and spent a lot of time with the Lucid while he was housesitting for us a few months back. He came away a big fan of the Lucid.

Thank you, I feel the same about FSD. I haven't had a test drive (I'm in flyover country but hop to get to Chicago soon) but I assume a Lucid will be very quick and hopefully as nimble as my 3.
FSD was actually one of the nails in the coffin for my model 3. I joined the beta program and quickly realized that any generally useful version is still many years away.

I had a model 3 for about 75k miles. I hated it and traded for an etron. The Tesla Road noise was so incredibly loud that I could not talk to my daughter when she was in the backseat when we drove to CA from AZ. The etron was nice but the Lucid blows them both away. So much quieter and a nicer ride. It is a better car and makes the Tesla feel like my Honda Civic of many years ago. I just really enjoy driving my Lucid GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back