Lucid Party @ Gravity Reveal-LA AutoShow November, 2023?

Battery size is an interesting topic. I have been trying to guess if Lucid will use the same size batteries as the Air (118DE, 112GT, 92AT) or try to increase. They cannot add more cells in series without increasing voltage over 924 volts. It is possible but 1000V chargers have substantially lower voltage after losses through the dispenser and cable to the car. The inverters/wunderbox also need to withstand the battery voltage. Hence, there is not much room to increase maximum battery voltage. One additional module would add 42V. I am thinking Lucid is unlikely to increase voltage.

The parallel strings of battery cells are limited by the module width which is limited by the width of the car. If Gravity is the same width as Air, then the number of parallel strings cannot increase either. If Gravity is wider than Air, then another string of cells in parallel is possible. The Air modules use 10 groups of 3 cells in parallel or 30 strings of cells in parallel. It may be possible to add another group of three to increase battery size to 33 stings in parallel or an overall increase 10%. Lucid gains a lot of manufacturing efficiency if they re-use the Air modules. Again, I am thinking that Gravity is about the same width as Air and therefore will reuse the same modules.

That leaves battery chemistry as an option. Given that Lucid's history is batteries for Formula-E, I doubt there is much increase to be had.

My conclusion is the battery size will be very close to Air. I am guessing that there are further improvements to the drive units, wheels and brakes that improve efficiency so the same size battery gives good overall range in the larger SUV. We will see tomorrow how wrong I am.

In a video interview with "Motoman" a while back, Derek Jenkins was asked whether the Gravity's longer wheelbase would mean a larger battery pack than in the Air. Jenkins said no.

However, in February 2023 Lucid inked a new deal with Samsung for batteries for the Gravity, which led me to wonder if something's not up on the chemistry / energy density front, especially as Samsung is working on a 4680 form factor cell. The 21700 form factor Samsung cells used in the Dream and the Sapphire came out of a 2016 supply deal. That's sort of ancient history in the field of EVs, and I wonder if the Gravity will really use cells of that vintage, especially as it's still a year from production.

Lucid isn't developing their own chemistries. Lucid-Atieva's core competency in Formula E is battery pack architecture and battery pack management software.

They are buying cells off the shelf.

I am sure LG and Samsung have higher energy density chemistry. At higher cost per kWh.

In the press release about Lucid's supply deal with LG Chem, Lucid said they chose LG Chem batteries for the main-line production Airs because the cell characteristics meshed well with the demands of the car. This implied an off-the-shelf sourcing arrangement.

However, in the press release about Lucid's supply deal with Samsung to supply batteries for the Dream Edition (and later for the Sapphire), Lucid said that they worked with Samsung to develop a proprietary cell that was more resistant to the stress of fast charging. In a recent interview a senior Lucid engineer commented that the 118-kWh pack (which uses Samsung cells) did not need or have an upper buffer, implying that the 112-kWh pack does and that there is, in fact, something unique to Lucid about the Samsung batteries in the Lucid. So this arrangement seemed to be a bit more involved than an off-the-shelf supply agreement.

Tried to look and see if this has been posted

Attachments

• RDT_20231115_1622543195221275725950633.png
    RDT_20231115_1622543195221275725950633.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
In a video interview with "Motoman" a while back, Derek Jenkins was asked whether the Gravity's longer wheelbase would mean a larger battery pack than in the Air. Jenkins said no.

However, in February 2023 Lucid inked a new deal with Samsung for batteries for the Gravity, which led me to wonder if something's not up on the chemistry / energy density front, especially as Samsung is working on a 4680 form factor cell. The 21700 form factor Samsung cells used in the Dream and the Sapphire came out of a 2016 supply deal. That's sort of ancient history in the field of EVs, and I wonder if the Gravity will really use cells of that vintage, especially as it's still a year from production.
A change in cell form factor is a possible way to increase capacity. I should have included that in my list of possibilities. Derek Jenkins comments are consistent with re-using modules from Air and at the current scale of Lucid production I think that this is most likely.

Besides the logo I think ChatGPT captured a pretty good version of a Lucid Pickup Truck! Lucid Sapphire Pickup.
IMG_2564.jpeg

As a large amount of members here are going to the Gravity meetup, I have made a illustratory pamphlet starring none other than the Lucid Sapphire of what to do and what NOT to do to ensure that your Lucid pulls up with presence without damaging or embarrassing the car:

What TO do: ✅

Donuts

1700094572784.png

Drifting

1700094637651.png

More drifting

1700094659757.png

Make a loud, proud mess at the show
1700094756123.png

What NOT to do: ⚠️

The "demented rally driver" special
1700094823654.png

The "light" off-roading near the show
1700094853068.png

The "I want to die early at 196 mph"(look at speedo for further reference)
1700094892053.png

(this is me driving in forza if that wasnt clear by now, lol)

Last edited:
Has Lucid announced what their third vehicle will be? Maybe should do commercial vehicle.

that's nonsense. old news, possibly an extremely old pic from a few years ago
One of those Tesla fanboys who loves to shit on $LCID stock, and at the same time, cannot help but report on anything Lucid for views.

Has Lucid announced what their third vehicle will be? Maybe should do commercial vehicle.
As gravity was teased at the air unveil, I suspect there could be a VERY low chance the next is teased. I will be watching the unveil during lunch break!

that's nonsense. old news, possibly an extremely old pic from a few years ago

"InsideEVs" picked up the post from this forum to generate its own story that this might be a clay mockup of a future Lucid pickup. This is how speculation gets amplified into "news" on the internet.

Back