Lucid in Accident

davidliu

Verified Owner
Cars
Stellar White Air GT
Saw this accident online at 101 and 85. luckily, looks like no one was hurt.

But I’m curious if emergency breaking was engaged, also how exactly the BMW end up on top of the Lucid?

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 408

But I’m curious if emergency breaking was engaged, also how exactly the BMW end up on top of the Lucid?
No one knows except Lucid...

Possibly also the driver of the Lucid as well
I tend not to trust driver accounts especially if they are the ones hitting someone. It's been proven time and time again that drivers didn't recall details correctly compared to data logs.

Well Lucid Beverly Hills probably just lost a loaner.

But I’m curious if emergency breaking was engaged,
I will say that the emergency braking when needed while on HA is really bad but Lucid has covered its ass in the manual by saying it might not work properly with stopped traffic. I was driving on the I5 yesterday and came around a bend in the freeway to stopped traffic. The car knew the traffic was stopped as I got the red warning but it didn't put the brakes on. I ended up having to anchor on the brakes. With all the sensors, cameras and LiDAR i'm really surprised it can't manage these situations better.

BMWs always like the dominant position. ;)
Makes you wonder what the offspring would look like.

I guess I'm wondering if it is one of our local owners?

I will say that the emergency braking when needed while on HA is really bad but Lucid has covered its ass in the manual by saying it might not work properly with stopped traffic. I was driving on the I5 yesterday and came around a bend in the freeway to stopped traffic. The car knew the traffic was stopped as I got the red warning but it didn't put the brakes on. I ended up having to anchor on the brakes. With all the sensors, cameras and LiDAR i'm really surprised it can't manage these situations better.
To drive at highway speeds using highway assist and then sit back expecting automatic emergency braking to save you if someone has come to a complete stop far ahead (I E not paying attention or deliberately not being an engaged driver to prove a point) is dangerous, this has been addressed before. I’ve had the car save me from rear ending someone twice due to being tired and slow to react, so it definitely does work but is not a substitute for watching ahead and slowing the vehicle yourself, nor is it in any other car either. Nothing to criticize Lucid for here. You are the driver.

The Lucid roof structure and passenger cabin seem completely undeformed. This was our experience when both our Lucid and a Subaru WRX were totaled in a collision. Even the door gaps on our Lucid remained even.

I tend not to trust driver accounts especially if they are the ones hitting someone. It's been proven time and time again that drivers didn't recall details correctly compared to data logs.

So true. Things can happen so fast that our "memory" gets generated more by what we conclude from the aftermath than from the lead-up to the accident.

I am thinking that the driver of the Lucid had to stomp hard on the brakes to try to avoid hitting the BMW and the front end went down as he braked hard and he went right under the BMW. Just my guess.

I am thinking that the driver of the Lucid had to stomp hard on the brakes to try to avoid hitting the BMW and the front end went down as he braked hard and he went right under the BMW. Just my guess.
Would agree. Years ago on the road from Boston to Salem MA, I had to hit brakes hard in a BMW 320i which then went under the car in front of me - not as bad as this story. But the car I hit was full of FBI agents. It took a tow truck to pull us apart.

To drive at highway speeds using highway assist and then sit back expecting automatic emergency braking to save you if someone has come to a complete stop far ahead (I E not paying attention or deliberately not being an engaged driver to prove a point) is dangerous, this has been addressed before. I’ve had the car save me from rear ending someone twice due to being tired and slow to react, so it definitely does work but is not a substitute for watching ahead and slowing the vehicle yourself, nor is it in any other car either. Nothing to criticize Lucid for here. You are the driver.
I was paying attention hence why I INTERVENED. Never had this problem on the last two Audi’s I owned with driver assistance in similar circumstances. Let’s be honest here, Lucid’s HA is mediocre at best.

Would agree. Years ago on the road from Boston to Salem MA, I had to hit brakes hard in a BMW 320i which then went under the car in front of me - not as bad as this story. But the car I hit was full of FBI agents. It took a tow truck to pull us apart.

Difference between congested East coast and relatively less congested western US: When I lived in Boston we actually considered the 16 mile trip between downtown Boston and Salem a "trip" (of course Boston roads go nowhere fast and in circles); out here it is my local neighborhood!

Back