Lucid in single car accident 3/6/24 in Santa Ana, CA?

cyberwife

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Does anyone know how this went down - I think it happened yesterday 3/6/24? This is right near my house at Bristol and Memory Lane In Santa Ana. It was captured by someone in the area at the time, who I don't know. But a friend of mine freaked out and thought it was me, since I am one of two Lucid owners in our neighborhood and sent it to my son, asking "is your mom ok?". I am trying to see if this was a glass top or a metal top-either way, looks like driver probably came out fine, well I am sure they needed to change their pants. That was an expensive afternoon! Glad my baby was sitting in my driveway.
Lucid accident Santa Ana.jpg

Last edited:
looks like hard top. Probably distracted driving or due to avoidance.

Looks like it happened before the local rains started.
Yes, rain had not started yet - rain was later in the day. I am guessing they were heading to The Block to charge - distracted - went up the driveway apron and slammed into that light pole. That sucks....

Yes, rain had not started yet - rain was later in the day. I am guessing they were heading to The Block to charge - distracted - went up the driveway apron and slammed into that light pole. That sucks....
Absolutely. Many, many years ago my mother was driving down our street (a one block long street that ended at cross streets). As she neared the cross street she stepped on the brake and nothing happened. So she drove up a driveway and into a house to stop the car. My brother and I gave her all kinds of crap pointing out that she could have changed into reverse which would have killed the transmission but stopped the car. But when the insurance adjuster showed up, he praised her for her quick thinking.

Wow .. crazy story ... They deemed it to be mechanical failure and her not at fault? As for throwing it into PARK, the parking pawl or pin in the transmission would have probably just sheared anyway without stopping the car in time or if at all. Luckily for the Lucid Air, the physical brakes are actually the back-up system.

I guess I was also wondering why the car didn't automatically brake - wouldn't the sensor pick up that the light pole was in front of it? Is a pole not enough mass for the dector to pick up the object?

I guess I was also wondering why the car didn't automatically brake - wouldn't the sensor pick up that the light pole was in front of it? Is a pole not enough mass for the dector to pick up the object?
The car's ACC isn't guaranteed to detect stationary objects/cars in front of you, so I'd guess the (radar-based, I assume) collision detection has the same trouble. The ultrasonic parking sensors do a great job of detecting posts and whatnot at close range, but that wouldn't have given it nearly enough time to stop.

Looks like someone was doing launchmode and lost control. They hit that post very hard. Car is totalled.

That is one MASSIVE headache for that owner in every possible way! The roof though looks like it held up like a champ. Hope no one was injured.

Back