Lucid in Accident

Lucid does not do emergency braking as much as we like to prevent an accident even though there is Radar and Lidar in addition to cameras. Here is what I gathered from the manual after my accident caused by near 100% SoC and lack of regen and no emergency braking. If I read the manual, I would not have had the accident but how many of us read the manual? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpf3g_DwQONzIiD10uUw07R4wyAwr5ainDo8Ivgf5Zw/edit?usp=sharing
I read the manual. (cue everyone's surprise)

But, to be fair, emergency braking has worked for me a number of times. I don't rely on it, though, instead still braking myself, because I know it's unreliable. But I'd rather have unreliable and potentially helpful in the few times I miss it than not having it at all.

I agree, of course, that better emergency braking would be great.

Lucid does not do emergency braking as much as we like to prevent an accident even though there is Radar and Lidar in addition to cameras. Here is what I gathered from the manual after my accident caused by near 100% SoC and lack of regen and no emergency braking. If I read the manual, I would not have had the accident but how many of us read the manual? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpf3g_DwQONzIiD10uUw07R4wyAwr5ainDo8Ivgf5Zw/edit?usp=sharing
This document is not all accurate. For example:

Q: At what speed will the car warn of a collison?
A: Below 10mph.

This is not true; it has warned me to brake at much higher speeds than that.

But I'd rather have unreliable and potentially helpful in the few times I miss it than not having it at all.
I'd also rather have too conservative emergency braking than too aggressive emergency braking, and I'm sure Lucid and their lawyers would agree. If it were as "cautious" at highway speeds as it is at parking lot speeds, we'd all have been rear ended by now.

Two occurrences does not make it definitive, but we were pushed underneath the car in front of us in our accident. Hit the people in front of us at 10-11mph according to the data then got plastered from behind at some unknown speed. My guess from stopping distance is well over 25+ mph post-collision of the car that hit us.

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_181722558.jpg
    PXL_20231112_181722558.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15,897
Two occurrences does not make it definitive, but we were pushed underneath the car in front of us in our accident. Hit the people in front of us at 10-11mph according to the data then got plastered from behind at some unknown speed. My guess from stopping distance is well over 25+ mph post-collision of the car that hit us.
Holy crap! I guess the duct tape suggestions will not do here.

Has anybody else had this happen with another EV?

To drive at highway speeds using highway assist and then sit back expecting automatic emergency braking to save you if someone has come to a complete stop far ahead (I E not paying attention or deliberately not being an engaged driver to prove a point) is dangerous, this has been addressed before. I’ve had the car save me from rear ending someone twice due to being tired and slow to react, so it definitely does work but is not a substitute for watching ahead and slowing the vehicle yourself, nor is it in any other car either. Nothing to criticize Lucid for here. You are the driver.
Yes, relying on HA is dangerous. But that is not the point. The issue is whether the technology in an expensive "car of the future" should work properly (indeed, flawlessly), particularly when other car companies have figured out this tech and more that Lucid cannot seem to do.

This document is not all accurate. For example:

Q: At what speed will the car warn of a collison?
A: Below 10mph.

This is not true; it has warned me to brake at much higher speeds than that.
It warns at higher speed but brakes at low speed. I clarified it. Thanks. I would like this document to reflect what the manual says and any experience we gather so that potential accidents can be prevented or minimized.

Wow. Yet another major accident with no Lucid passenger cabin deformity. The windshield didn't even crack. The crush zone really seems to do its job.

Wow. Yet another major accident with no Lucid passenger cabin deformity. The windshield didn't even crack. The crush zone really seems to do its job.
This is not in our new one to clarify. This accident was back in November. Emergency braking worked perfectly and faster than my reflexes over a blind hill.

Our rear windshield did crack from the folks who rear ended us. Otherwise, you could have chopped off the front and the back with no indication a crash had ever occurred. Impact zones are excellent.

Emergency braking only applies when I don’t want it to. Has happened twice in past week and it’s annoying! Once backing up on a cross traffic alert. Second time going forward in parking lot on cross traffic alert. The reverse was false, nothing was in my way it took my other car in my driveway which was standing still as the vehicle to avoid despite it being stationary and well to the left of the lucid. Second time, there was a car but it was yielding to me going forward into my parking spot and lucid slammed on the brakes. Lucid emergency braking sucks. Sorry, bmws and Mercedes are wayyyyy better.

Lucid emergency braking sucks. Sorry, bmws and Mercedes are wayyyyy better.
Maybe it does in your opinion.
But it excels in everything else, driving dynamics included.
Sorry, bmws and Mercedes are wayyyyy worse in that regard.

I'd also rather have too conservative emergency braking than too aggressive emergency braking, and I'm sure Lucid and their lawyers would agree. If it were as "cautious" at highway speeds as it is at parking lot speeds, we'd all have been rear ended by now.
I was thinking that I wished it would do more emergency breaking at high speed - until you wrote this. You're totally correct. If it stopped at highway speed the way it does at 4mph while I'm backing into the garage, someone would surely be running into me!

Wow! This happened at 10-11 MPH 🥺

Wow! This happened at 10-11 MPH 🥺
Most of the damage was caused by the folks who rear ended us at 25+ mph. In regards to the original post, I would expect a relatively high speed, brakes locked collision to the car in front to get underneath like that.

Maybe it does in your opinion.
But it excels in everything else, driving dynamics included.
Sorry, bmws and Mercedes are wayyyyy worse in that regard.

Lol so defensive. I was referring to emergency braking not the car as a whole. And that’s also your opinion that lucid is way better in every other regard. I don’t think that’s true. Sure the air is a great car but interior and electronics wise and material quality doesn’t match modern bmw or Mercedes. The interior of a 5 series or e class feel much better quality wise to me. I love my air but it has its downsides, no reason to get defensive.

Lol so defensive. I was referring to emergency braking not the car as a whole. And that’s also your opinion that lucid is way better in every other regard. I don’t think that’s true. Sure the air is a great car but interior and electronics wise and material quality doesn’t match modern bmw or Mercedes. The interior of a 5 series or e class feel much better quality wise to me. I love my air but it has its downsides, no reason to get defensive.
You are right.

Back