Lucid Connected Home Charging Station

After 3 days, and 4 trips to the hardware store, it is alive!

A couple quick thoughts:

• It has a rudimentary web server. It provides the current & power.
  • Is there an app to schedule charging etc? I searched the app store and the normal Lucid app, but did not find anything charging related.
  • My old Tesla charger was charging at 13kW. I was hoping it was related to the adapter. However, the car is still charging at 13 kW. The charger web server states the Current is 60/80A. I will reach out to support for more discussion.

8272A550-607F-48C1-8FCE-09A84E831760.jpeg
AAAE157F-10DF-4861-807D-A70A5115672B.png

FML - this should be in HOW TO section.
And FML - how the hell did you get this 1st???

Debated on preordering or waiting until the Lucid bidirectional charging option is authorized. Decided to go ahead and order it and just have it sit until the regulatory situation gets sorted and it is approved for bidirectional charging. My opinion is that the majority of Lucid owners really don't need it right now since the power cord that comes with the car does a wonderful job charging at 36 miles of range added per hour of charging on a 50 amp curcuit. Just prior to getting the car, I did install my 50 amp breaker and had the electrician run 100 amp wiring to where my 14-50 NEMA plug is located and where I plan to install the bidirectional charger. I will need to install a transfer switch and possibly a soft load regulator if the Wunderbox does not regulate the initial surge of power when the vehicle to house transfer starts.
My rationale for buying now was simply that I don't trust the supply chain situation and would prefer to be in the "ready position" once the regulatory hurtles are cleared. I will get the $1,000 tax credit this year for the recent installation and cost of the Lucid bidirectional charger. Then in 2023 I should be able to get another $1,000 tax credit for the installation of the birectional charger, the cost and installation of the transfer switch, swapping out the 50 amp breaker for a 100 amp breaker, the soft load regulator (if needed) and the cost of moving my A/C unit since it was installed prior to a change in code where now I need to move it a few feet further away from the electrical meter in order to get the bidirectional setup permit approved. Lucid said their charger should be ready to ship by the end of Noverber. Whether it does or drifts out to December or even longer really doesn't matter as I have little expectation that the regulatory situation will be straightened out by then. If it is, it will be a pleasant surprise.
Quick question for all you electric engineer savvy folks.

If I get a NEMA 14-15 installed in my garage with 60 amps or so (somewhere around average from what I'm seeing)
Does the Lucid home charger sit on top of this? Or will I need to rewire it with more amps or something? Like if I want to do something now, and plan for the upgrade later, what's the best plan to do so?

In order for this to be hardwired to 60amp, you need circuit breakers for 80amp, 80x0.8=64, to get 80amp, you would need massive breaker for 100amp. 100x0.8=80.

If I get a NEMA 14-15 installed in my garage with 60 amps or so (somewhere around average from what I'm seeing)
Does the Lucid home charger sit on top of this? Or will I need to rewire it with more amps or something? Like if I want to do something now, and plan for the upgrade later, what's the best plan to do so?
Man, if you have a 14-50, mine charges at 36 MPH, so I don't see a point to getting the charging station unless you have blackouts and wanna power your house with the car.
and Tesla2.0 is 100% correct with his math and recs

Your 60 amp breaker may not handle that charger based on specs. Do you mean NEMA 14-50, not NEMA 14-15? 60x0.8=48. My Wallbox EVSE wall charger is 48amp, it is sufficient enough for me to charge up to 80% in few hours overnight.
Man, if you have a 14-50, mine charges at 36 MPH, so I don't see a point to getting the charging station unless you have blackouts and wanna power your house with the car.
and Tesla2.0 is 100% correct with his math and recs
I have no clue of these electrical jargons until I’ve learned information on this forum. Air is my first EV. And btw, that charger he posted is not bi-directional, bi-directional charger is not yet released. It may need more regulatory approval.

Sorr
Your 60 amp breaker may not handle that charger based on specs. Do you mean NEMA 14-50, not NEMA 14-15? 60x0.8=48. My Wallbox EVSE wall charger is 48amp, it is sufficient enough for me to charge up to 80% in few hours overnight.

I have no clue of these electrical jargons until I’ve learned information on this forum. Air is my first EV. And btw, that charger he posted is not bi-directional, bi-directional charger is not yet released. It may need more regulatory approval.
Oh yes, sorry I did mean 14-50

Folks, a 14-50 outlet is only rated to carry 40 amps for charging purposes. Operating it at 48 amps is against code and potentially dangerous.

Lucid's recently released EVSE (charging adapter) is bidirectional, but will require another box (a transfer switch or gateway) to allow safe transfer of the car's power to your home, disconnecting part or all of your home from your electric utility company. Just like how a standby generator requires a transfer switch.

FWIW, I’m definitely getting 77A, so make sure your jumpers are set correctly and your wire gauge is right.

Folks, a 14-50 outlet is only rated to carry 40 amps for charging purposes. Operating it at 48 amps is against code and potentially dangerous.

Lucid's recently released EVSE (charging adapter) is bidirectional, but will require another box (a transfer switch or gateway) to allow safe transfer of the car's power to your home, disconnecting part or all of your home from your electric utility company. Just like how a standby generator requires a transfer switch.
So I have the unit but my electrician is telling me he doesn't recommend doing a 100 amp install at this time because when the V2H is available if we do the install now it might require a complete redo. So I'm wondering if I can use it with my existing 14-50 outlet that has a 40 amp breaker. It works fine with the cable/charger that came with the car. So is that possible or do I just seal up the box and wait??

So I have the unit but my electrician is telling me he doesn't recommend doing a 100 amp install at this time because when the V2H is available if we do the install now it might require a complete redo. So I'm wondering if I can use it with my existing 14-50 outlet that has a 40 amp breaker. It works fine with the cable/charger that came with the car. So is that possible or do I just seal up the box and wait??
You can set the Lucid EVSE to a 40A circuit. It will charge at 32A when set that way. Same as the EVSE that you must already have. Since you have it, give it a try. Then when the bidirectional comes out you can upgrade.

Actually the 14-50 outlet is rated for 50 Amps, that is why it is on a 50A breaker. You are correct that continuous use appliances like EVSEs can only use 80% of what a circuit is rated for. Hence, the EVSE on a 50A circuit can only draw 40A.

I’m waiting for my solar roof. Once it’s here, I’ll ask advice on improvement if my 200 amp circuit breaker box and bi-directional option.

So I have a 100 year old house, with several electric bandaid applied
Noted a 200 amp wall panel I garage, with pretty much all of that spoken for.
If I want the Lucid home charger, and need to devote 100 amps to that, do I need to contact local electric company for upgrade? Just an electrician?
Thanks for input

So I have a 100 year old house, with several electric bandaid applied
Noted a 200 amp wall panel I garage, with pretty much all of that spoken for.
If I want the Lucid home charger, and need to devote 100 amps to that, do I need to contact local electric company for upgrade? Just an electrician?
Thanks for input
You'd need to contact an electrician to install it and to verify you have space on your breaker.
Then you call your electric company to activate the line (That's from reading on the forums)

If you already have the 14-50 outlet, you can use the mobile charging cable provided with the Lucid. You can use the Lucid charger by setting the dip switch up to 80A. If you are running new wiring, it would save future rework if it was rated for the full capability of the Lucid charger.

I understand a standby generator has an automatic transfer switch because the generator is permanently wired in and "always ready", which won't be the case with the Lucid as it won't be connected 24/7 just in case the power goes out. So, I am assuming there will be some sort of mechanical switch we will have to throw to start power flowing into the house from the car. I would foresee (in my case) when the grid power goes, turning off the breakers for my two A/C units, connecting the car to the wall unit and then throwing this switch. On the other hand, when grid power is restored, presumably there will be some sort of automatic switch, or the Lucid wall unit will detect the grid coming on and shut down the unit?

Back