Lucid Air vs BMW M3

apatel87

Doubts about the Lucid Touring

I’ll begin by saying that I am about to compares apples to oranges but any advice would be appreciated. First car was a 3 series and loved it. Got the Model 3 AWD almost five years ago when they were first introduced and was hooked by the tech, the speed, constant updates. I really hopped on the EV bandwagon: got a 16 kw solar system, ordered my wife the RIS and ordered myself the Touring. Having some second thoughts about the touring largely due to cost and appearance. My build with the stealth is going to be 108k and since there likely won’t be a tax credit despite reserving over a year ago I’m getting nervous about the cost. I would also have to swap out the tires immediately on the 20s to all season tires which will cost me another 1600. I’ve loved the M3 for a long time and a fully specced one would be around 90k for me, so almost a 20k difference. At the same time I’ve been so vocal about EVs that it seems almost hypocritical to go to something that is a gas guzzler. Anybody in a similar situation. The lucid is a beautiful car on the inside but don’t love the lack of aggressiveness on the exterior. Anyone in a similar predicament? I know that there is rhe i40 but am a bit concerned about the low range.

TLDR; big ev advocate and own a current Tesla. Ordered a lucid but now contemplating switching to performance gas sports car.

Note: cross posted on Reddit

If a fully specced Model 3 would cost you 90k compared to a Touring for 20k more, I think you are getting 20k more car. Others can chime in, but my Air is head and shoulder above what my M3 dual motor was, and it's not even a close comparison.

I agree with @hydbob. My M3 dual motor was fun at first, but then when I wanted to upgrade the S had that stupid yoke, and the interior and ride were just too harsh. I have the AGT and the difference in ride, performance and looks (personal preference) is night and day. If it's too much $ that's a different story, but worth it, yes. I love some ICE vehicles too, but just can't imagine going back now.

I could see buying another gas car as a weekend fun thing, but not as a daily driver. They feel so old next to a contemporary performance EV. A gas car with a lot of personality can be very fun in small doses. But I wouldn't want to drive one all the time, every day. I did it for ten years and that time has passed.

Awful lot of model 3s out there ... very very very common in fact in this part of the country.
Wouldnt you have to change the tyres on both cars? Can't imagine the model3 performance comes with all seasons

I’m sorry for the confusion. I have a model 3 now. Was going to get a touring but contemplating a bmw M3.

I’m sorry for the confusion. I have a model 3 now. Was going to get a touring but contemplating a bmw M3.

Until a month ago I was a BMW driver. The M3 is a spectacular car (ignoring the front end) and along with the M2 and M5 represent the apogee of ICE cars (not counting super/hyper cars). It will drive very differently than a Model 3. If you are looking for an ICE car that will be a fun to drive but not DD vehicle, the M2 is a better choice (IMO). It is more tossable and lets you exercise your left leg.

If a fully specced Model 3 would cost you 90k compared to a Touring for 20k more, I think you are getting 20k more car. Others can chime in, but my Air is head and shoulder above what my M3 dual motor was, and it's not even a close comparison.
I think hes talking about the bmw m3.

I can't see going back to an ICE car.

There is nothing compares to cruising in a classic roadster. I don't even care about the weather ... if it's raining or snowing you just push your right foot. But ... Lucid has changed me.

I bought my son a practical (used) 328ix 4-door when he graduated, and he gave it back to buy a Miata.

my boy. can't drive a stick. he was not afraid = Chicago is not San Francisco.

His rejected BMW is my back-up ...it's just a base model but it's a blast to drive. .I get what people say about us = I drive it like an ass...it's the car, not the driver. I plan to unload it soon.

I've even thought about buying another Lucid.... sell the house... and just living in it. I'll park under the utility line right of way and induction charge right off the grid.

Last edited:
Loving my AGT and waiting on a Rivian R1s. My plan was to sell my current Yukon and BMW M3 when that arrived, but I might just keep the M3 as a nostalgic weekend car. I am really enjoying my transition to EVs, but there's something about the rumble of a V8 (mine's a 2011) that's still enticing. And I doubt driving it a few miles on weekends will kill any polar bears...

Until a month ago I was a BMW driver. The M3 is a spectacular car (ignoring the front end) and along with the M2 and M5 represent the apogee of ICE cars (not counting super/hyper cars). It will drive very differently than a Model 3. If you are looking for an ICE car that will be a fun to drive but not DD vehicle, the M2 is a better choice (IMO). It is more tossable and lets you exercise your left leg.
Thanks for the insight. I live in Boston and was going to get the xdrive competition m3 and use it as a daily driver.

Do you enjoy the drive of the lucid more than the BMW?

I can't see going back to an ICE car.

There is nothing compares to cruising in a classic roadster. I don't even care about the weather ... if it's raining or snowing you just push your right foot. But ... Lucid has changed me.

I bought my son a practical (used) 328ix 4-door when he graduated, and he gave it back to buy a Miata.

my boy. can't drive a stick. he was not afraid = Chicago is not San Francisco.

His rejected BMW is my back-up ...it's just a base model but it's a blast to drive. .I get what people say about us = I drive it like an ass...it's the car, not the driver. I plan to unload it soon.

I've even thought about buying another Lucid.... sell the house... and just living in it. I'll park under the utility line right of way and induction charge right off the grid.
Lol I had a 2013 328 xdrive. Loved the car. That was when I was single. Now I have to accommodate a car seat and care about other people’s comfort:)

Thanks for the insight. I live in Boston and was going to get the xdrive competition m3 and use it as a daily driver.

Do you enjoy the drive of the lucid more than the BMW?
I don't have the Lucid. I have been on the waiting list for the RWD Pure (here in Scottsdale I don't need AWD) but I finally got tired of waiting for Lucid to tell me the specs on the RWD Pure so a month ago I picked up a Genesis GV60.

I lived in Boston area before moving to Scottsdale (a long time ago). Boston roads will destroy any car.

I think the Lucid should be compared to the M5, not the M3. The Lucid is substantially larger than the M3 (and way larger than the M2). I believe there are members on this forum who have had or have both. You might post a separate request for the comparison. But what others think doesn't matter. Go over to the Seaport and do a test drive in a Lucid and see what YOU think. If you haven't driven the BMW M cars, it might be harder to get a test drive as a lot of dealers don't offer demos in M2, M3 or M5s. You could try renting one for the comparison (Turo might be a place to find one). One demo problem is that I think the Lucid test vehicles have summer tires (at least out here they do) and January/February in Boston is no time to be driving on summer tires.

Because the Lucid doesn't have a traditional multispeed transmission, the driver experience will be closer to that of the BMWs with an automatic transmission. So if you want to do a comparison, try that.

Lol I had a 2013 328 xdrive. Loved the car. That was when I was single. Now I have to accommodate a car seat and care about other people’s comfort:)
It's a good trade. I miss seeing my bunnies when I glance in the rear view mirror. I don't miss my days with sport cars.

I think if you don’t like the outside styling on the Lucid you should not get one. While I do think (my opinion) the engineering and performance on the Lucid will hands down beat a M3 (ICE I think is what you were asking about since the Tesla model 3 outside styling is not something I have ever heard anyone rave about).

with the eyes of an aerodynamic engineer, it is a beautiful car from any angle.

It sat in my garage for two weeks while I waited for a paint appointment. I sat in this director's chair for hours every single day. gawking.
PXL_20221007_204535428.jpg

PXL_20221002_232946503.jpg

who's the fairest of them all ?
20211019_122158 (1).jpg

sigh... Roaster blues. Should have kept this one.

Last edited:
with the eyes of an aerodynamic engineer, it is a beautiful car from any angle.

It sat in my garage for two weeks while I waited for a paint appointment. I sat in this director's chair for hours every single day. gawking.
View attachment 9212
View attachment 9213
who's the fairest of them all ?
View attachment 9216
sigh... Roaster blues. Should have kept this one.
It's nice but I still say that the prettiest car ever made is the Jaguar XKE!

I owned a V8 M3 years ago, which I greatly enjoyed. My last car was a Panamera GTS, which was definitely a step or two up from an M3, even though it was larger. I toiled about selling my GTS for my AGT, but haven’t regretted it for a minute. I agree that an M5 would be a better comparison, but I would feel the same. Nothing rides like a Lucid and the chicks dig it.

Back