Lucid Air Touring vs BWM iX

travelermark

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Hey everyone,

Needing a bit of reassurance here. I’ve had an Air Touring reservation for two years now. I don’t yet have a delivery date because I also ordered the Stealth package which I believe isn’t shipping yet. I’m assuming I’ll be one of the first to get it. I’ve read about hit or miss quality issues and a little anxious about the purchase. I’m less worried about software issues and more about manufacturing quality issues… paint, misaligned parts, etc. I’ve also been considering the BMW iX recently, just knowing BMW mostly wouldn’t have the same quality issues. I also believe BMW wouldn’t be as good on software updates and of course their battery technology isn’t as good.

Anyways could use some advice as I try to decide whether to stay the course waiting for my Lucid or make the jump. Thanks! mark

I have had no problems with manufacturing quality. The paint job is superb and no misaligned parts on my GT.

I actually considered trading in my AGT for an iX so I can understand what you are considering. Unfortunately, I have not been able to drive an iX as there are none available for test drives where I live so it has made my decision easier (i.e. stay with AGT) because I don't really know what I'm missing. Here are my thoughts though:
  • looks - Air looks better than the iX but this is subjective
  • Range - they are actually quite close in terms of real world range (435'ish for AGT and 377 for iX), and probably even closer with Touring
  • Practicality - iX for me is more practical as it is easier to get in/out of and using the hatch trunk is easier to load things than the clam shell trunk in lucid. Yes, there is no useable frunk in the iX but I personally don't like going to Costco and having to walk to the front and back of the car to load what I bought. I'd rather just use EITHER the front or back. With lucid, I need to use both. The roofline of the Air is quite low such that even my young kids have hit their heads on the roof getting in. Although much better with the touring, the feet/leg room in my AGT is ok for short legs but taller people have issues with the high floor despite having lots of knee room. The rear seats in the iX is more comfortable in that regard but maybe does not apply to Touring with smaller battery pack. Also, the Air sits much closer to the ground so clearance can be an issue vs iX is obviously much higher being an SUV so usually don't have to worry about bottoming out.
  • Drive - not sure as I've yet to drive the iX but I've read that it is one of the quitest cars available. The Air on the other hand is quiet but has an electric motor whirl/sound at low speeds for some reason. I think both cars handle quite sporty
  • Sound system - I've come to really appreciate the Air's SSP sound system as being one of the best out there but I've also ready (not heard) that iX's B&W system is also extremely good and generally I love B&W sound system. iX has Android auto and CarPlay. Lucid just got carplay recently
  • Interior quality - I think the interior quality/luxuriousness of the Air is a bit better than iX although the iX with upgraded leather is close. I personally liked the crystal pieces in the iX. Also the iX panoramic roof can be darkened electronically which is a nice feature and helpful if you live in a really sunny place.
  • Driver assistance - iX is much better in this regard FOR ME because in Canada, DDP is extremely limited (i.e. all I get is adaptive cruise control, no hwy assist/steering). iX also has heads up display that is not available on Air. I thought I'd like this more but in actual fact, outside of taking trips, I find the head up display distracting in my EQS SUV and actually turn it off most of the time.
In the end, I made a decision to stay with my lucid for a few reasons - 1) I know that the car I purchased today won't be the same car in 1, 2, or 3+ years. Having owned Tesla early, I believe lucid will continually update their cars and it will evolve. I can't say the same thing with legacy automaker cars like BMW. However, with that said, I do believe that the product you get now with a legacy maker like BMW (or Benz) is ahead of lucid so the first few updates will be only to "catch up" before they pull ahead. 2) lucid is different than driving a legacy car. It is more rare and the idea behind buying a lucid vs legacy car is different in wanting to be different and an early adopter of up and coming tech. It also means going through growing pains

These are just my personal thoughts having gone through the same consideration as you with the exception of owning the AGT while comtemplating the iX.

Looks are definitely subjective and I think the iX front grille is fugly.

All the issues you mentioned are just minor cosmetic things. Then you have things like this

It's literally ever single car has problems...who would've thought?

I actually considered trading in my AGT for an iX so I can understand what you are considering. Unfortunately, I have not been able to drive an iX as there are none available for test drives where I live so it has made my decision easier (i.e. stay with AGT) because I don't really know what I'm missing. Here are my thoughts though:
  • Range - they are actually quite close in terms of real world range (435'ish for AGT and 377 for iX), and probably even closer with Touring
  • Practicality - iX for me is more practical as it is easier to get in/out of and using the hatch trunk is easier to load things than the clam shell trunk in lucid. Yes, there is no useable frunk in the iX but I personally don't like going to Costco and having to walk to the front and back of the car to load what I bought. I'd rather just use EITHER the front or back. With lucid, I need to use both. The roofline of the Air is quite low such that even my young kids have hit their heads on the roof getting in. Although much better with the touring, the feet/leg room in my AGT is ok for short legs but taller people have issues with the high floor despite having lots of knee room. The rear seats in the iX is more comfortable in that regard but maybe does not apply to Touring with smaller battery pack. Also, the Air sits much closer to the ground so clearance can be an issue vs iX is obviously much higher being an SUV so usually don't have to worry about bottoming out.
  • Drive - not sure as I've yet to drive the iX but I've read that it is one of the quitest cars available. The Air on the other hand is quiet but has an electric motor whirl/sound at low speeds for some reason. I think both cars handle quite sporty
  • Sound system - I've come to really appreciate the Air's SSP sound system as being one of the best out there but I've also ready (not heard) that iX's B&W system is also extremely good and generally I love B&W sound system. iX has Android auto and CarPlay. Lucid just got carplay recently
  • Interior quality - I think the interior quality/luxuriousness of the Air is a bit better than iX although the iX with upgraded leather is close. I personally liked the crystal pieces in the iX. Also the iX panoramic roof can be darkened electronically which is a nice feature and helpful if you live in a really sunny place.
  • Driver assistance - iX is much better in this regard FOR ME because in Canada, DDP is extremely limited (i.e. all I get is adaptive cruise control, no hwy assist/steering). iX also has heads up display that is not available on Air. I thought I'd like this more but in actual fact, outside of taking trips, I find the head up display distracting in my EQS SUV and actually turn it off most of the time.
In the end, I made a decision to stay with my lucid for a few reasons - 1) I know that the car I purchased today won't be the same car in 1, 2, or 3+ years. Having owned Tesla early, I believe lucid will continually update their cars and it will evolve. I can't say the same thing with legacy automaker cars like BMW. However, with that said, I do believe that the product you get now with a legacy maker like BMW (or Benz) is ahead of lucid so the first few updates will be only to "catch up" before they pull ahead. 2) lucid is different than driving a legacy car. It is more rare and the idea behind buying a lucid vs legacy car is different in wanting to be different and an early adopter of up and coming tech. It also means going through growing pains

These are just my personal thoughts having gone through the same consideration as you with the exception of owning the AGT while comtemplating the iX.
Thanks for taking the time to spell this out. It makes a lot of sense. I totally agree with you on the software updates piece. I think Lucid, Tesla, Rivian are the ones that figured out it’s more a computer on wheels than a car with a computer. I know this might be a dream but also hoping it means Lucid will easily support the next generation of CarPlay when it releases end of the year.

Looks. I am an historic BMW owner. The looks of the IX, IMHO, is horrible. That alone turned me off (and it was not just the Edsel grille; it was the entirety of the vehicle).

Range: I agree. The IX is actually very efficient.

Practicality: Being an SUV, obviously more practical.

Drive: I have driven both. The IX-50 drives very well but not nearly as well as a Lucid Air. There is no way an SUV is going to drive like a well designed sedan.

Driver Assistance: I agree although eventually the Lucid will likely catch up and then surpass the IX.

They are not really comparable. The more appropriate comparison would be the forthcoming BMW I5 to the Lucid Air, not the IX or the Gravity to the IX (but of course we don't know much about the Gravity).

Hey everyone,

Needing a bit of reassurance here. I’ve had an Air Touring reservation for two years now. I don’t yet have a delivery date because I also ordered the Stealth package which I believe isn’t shipping yet. I’m assuming I’ll be one of the first to get it. I’ve read about hit or miss quality issues and a little anxious about the purchase. I’m less worried about software issues and more about manufacturing quality issues… paint, misaligned parts, etc. I’ve also been considering the BMW iX recently, just knowing BMW mostly wouldn’t have the same quality issues. I also believe BMW wouldn’t be as good on software updates and of course their battery technology isn’t as good.

Anyways could use some advice as I try to decide whether to stay the course waiting for my Lucid or make the jump. Thanks! mark
I’m not sure I agree with you that just because it is a BMW it will be a higher quality. Of course, I am biased, since my last BMW wound up being a manufacturer’s buy back because of so many failures.

Hey everyone,

I bought a loaded bmw iX in July 22 and got my Air GT in December 22. I own both cars, let me start by saying that I absolutely love the I X it’s a phenomenal car. It drives like a dream. It gets great range. I can easily get over 300 honest miles per charge. The software, the features, everything is like clockwork. It’s like driving in a car that’s been designed properly and buy real experts. It’s polished like a gem. The 50 M version which I have is 520 hp and it’s by no means slow but it’s not a hot rod by any stretch of the imagination. It’s highway driver assist is really really good and useful. Super easy to get in and out of tons of room in the backseat plenty of cargo space everything you’d want from an extremely well-built well designed practical vehicle it’s quiet and it’s really fun and the top of the line stereo which is about a $6000 ad is the best stereo I’ve ever heard in any vehicle and I’ve on some very high-end vehicles. The Lucid top-of-the-line Soundsystem sounds good it’s by no means hurting but it’s nowhere near the quality of the BMW. The BMW has been 100% service and trouble free. Here’s the catch, I have a choice of four available daily drivers, I have a C8, a Bentley, the Bmw, and the Lucid, and every day I go to the Lucid and I drive it for pure pleasure, there’s some thing about the way the Lucid feels and drives that seems very very special, I really like the performance I really like the way it makes me feel, i’m not complaining about Lucid‘s software, but it feels like amateur hour compared to the BMW but that seems to be all right with me. I’ll concede that this is a new company and the software will mature hopefully and get better with time, it has a long way to go. My Lucid has also been relatively trouble. Free screen freezes from time to time little glitches from time to time they don’t bother me I fix them and I continue driving. The Lucid’s operating system has huge gaps and holes with things that seem obvious and most every other car company has which Lucid still doesn’t have but the Lucid has some intangible quality that makes them easy to forgive, This is never necessary in the BMW but I still love the Lucid also. I can tell you that if you have to make a choice, you’ll be very very happy with either one as long as your expectations are correct Don’t buy the Lucid if you have perfection in mind. But don’t miss a chance to own an incredibly special high performance unique car if you’re willing to understand that it’s a growing process that could take a few years to complete.

My iX and Lucid
94C15F2F-529E-4F81-A056-D9F015CB782E.jpeg
4ED0667B-BC3A-4D37-BDB9-CDDFFFEBCBFA.jpeg

Attachments

• 17C71BCB-CD8A-41D2-98B7-D09B2B1E6417.jpeg
    17C71BCB-CD8A-41D2-98B7-D09B2B1E6417.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 106
Back