Lucid Air Touring v Porsche Taycan

All other things being equal (a logical fallacy), it wouldn't matter to me. The Porsche dealership is pretty close to my house. But if one lived far away.........
my dealership was 40 minutes away and visits for upgrades were never quick, minimum of a full day or longer.
that is one huge flaw inherent to the taycan

A friend with a 2021 VW ID.4 recently received notice that he would now be able to receive some updates OTA, where earlier he had to take the car to the dealer for the very few updates that VW put out.

I wonder if Germany's extremely strict privacy laws have anything to do with German automakers' hesitancy to go the OTA route?

In the current market for about 4-5K more you can get a 2020 Taycan turbo than what you can sell a 22 GT for. 71-73K for used low mile GT …..
76-77k gets you a Turbo. Anyone tempted?

In the current market for about 4-5K more you can get a 2020 Taycan turbo than what you can sell a 22 GT for. 71-73K for used low mile GT …..
I wouldn't be. Excellent car though it may be, even if the Taycan has better handling, its range will be worse and its interior space is significantly less.

I see them taking even more of a hit. Taycans market is getting slaughtered. Especially the 2020-21 years. The gen 2 models are vastly improved...

I think the Porsche PCM is holding back those who like the OTA updates and such. Not sure if they are making changes to that in the 2025 Taycan/Macan EV setups.

I think the Porsche PCM is holding back those who like the OTA updates and such. Not sure if they are making changes to that in the 2025 Taycan/Macan EV setups.
To be fair, the Taycan has had a couple of meaningful and unique updates to carplay integration. First they added EV charge routing through Apple Maps, and then they added hvac, sound, and lighting controls inside CarPlay too, and those updates were OTA. (Through a Porsche mobile app update)

To be fair, the Taycan has had a couple of meaningful and unique updates to carplay integration. First they added EV charge routing through Apple Maps, and then they added hvac, sound, and lighting controls inside CarPlay too, and those updates were OTA. (Through a Porsche mobile app update)
an app update is a long way from OTA updates for the car like tesla, lucid and a few others are capable of

I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I drove the Air last month and it was really really awesome. So much so that my wife initiated putting down our deposit. The car is big and spacious, comfortable and fast, with extra long range. The tech is great - I currently drive a Tesla Model S, so I'm familiar with OTA updates and driving an EV. It seemed like the natural continuation of owning the best EVs of the day.

I drove a Taycan 4S this past weekend and it was sporty and tight. The interior felt more "traditional luxury", and the car is nearly as quick as the Air, smaller (though I know it's the same size on the outside) and more nimble. I felt that the tech wasn't as cleanly implemented, but Apple CarPlay does show up on the larger central screen and that's a plus. The Taycan GTS and Turbo are as fast / faster than the Air, but for significantly more $$$, and none of them can touch the range of the Air until the new 2025 Taycans start arriving with updated and larger batteries.

My conclusion is that there's no wrong choice here - honestly, two RIGHT choices. Like @LucidPez said above, the Air is a great luxury EV, while the Taycan is a great sporty EV. I just can't decide which one I want more.... :-( #FirstWorldProblems
Right, but what about reliability?

Taycan reliability isn’t that great as people think

I’ve owned one for 3 years and had no issues. I’m thinking about moving into a Lucid, and am trying to get a realistic read on what I’m getting into. Any thoughts appreciated.

I’ve owned one for 3 years and had no issues. I’m thinking about moving into a Lucid, and am trying to get a realistic read on what I’m getting into. Any thoughts appreciated.
Really depends on what your expectations in a car are. If you're all about the handling, performance, engineering piece then you'll probably love the Lucid. If you're frustrations with the Taycan are OTA \ Software related then Lucid is certainly a step up from the Taycan and its OTA strategy but the software still has some gaps that need addressing and the OTA updates have slowed down this year. Build quality is still a bit hit and miss but Lucid Service Centers do a good job and getting them sorted.

DreamDrive....... well, i'll let you do some research on that in here but lets just say, don't believe everything Lucid promised.

Really depends on what your expectations in a car are. If you're all about the handling, performance, engineering piece then you'll probably love the Lucid. If you're frustrations with the Taycan are OTA \ Software related then Lucid is certainly a step up from the Taycan and its OTA strategy but the software still has some gaps that need addressing and the OTA updates have slowed down this year. Build quality is still a bit hit and miss but Lucid Service Centers do a good job and getting them sorted.

DreamDrive....... well, i'll let you do some research on that in here but lets just say, don't believe everything Lucid promised.
Very helpful. Thanks.

I went from a 4s to an AIr GT, while I am pleased with the Lucid there really is nothing that drives like a porsche. IMHO the Lucid is an upgraded Tesla S.

if you are ok with giving up the sports car ride of the taycan for a more sedan like ride of the Lucid you will be fine in a Lucid.

I’ve had a few trim issues, promptly addressed by Lucid service, they are exemplary, no questions asked, they just get the issue fixed. I thought about the Taycan- but went for the Lucid due to space, range, comfortable 5 seater, better software and OTA updates. For Porsche you need to drop it off at a dealer.

Porsche will definitely handle better, but with present price cuts, comparable Porsche is at least 30k-40k more expensive.

My Lucid has been the best car I ever owned….its the electric M5 that BMW should have made.

If you do, you are into a shitload of enjoyment :)

Really.
IMHO Porsche is an upgraded WV.
Agreed. Look at a picture of these two 911's for example! Hey, wait a second... 🤣
1719067878948.webp

Agreed. Look at a picture of these two 911's for example! Hey, wait a second... 🤣
View attachment 21393
I know, different era, different times.
But, we all know Ferdinand Porsche's affiliations . Not that I give two shits about him and Nazis, I just dislike almost everything about 911.

Back