Lucid Air Touring v Porsche Taycan

watchesandburger

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I know. I know. Air v Tesla. Air v Taycan. Air v some other EV. I’m diving headlong into the head-to-heads. Specifically with the Taycan. Less range, but a more performance-oriented vehicle. The Air is just as quick in a straight line, but is it just a big luxury cruiser? Thoughts and comments HERE!

One is a luxury sedan with a good amount of power in it.

The other is a luxury sports car with great driving dynamics/handling.

Lucid has range. Porsche has charge speed. If you are driving others around and maybe just doing road trips, i'd say lucid. If you want to DRIVE and enjoy DRIVING (purposely in all caps), then Taycan. Both are great tbh. I think these two are the best EVs on the market over Tesla.

Tesla just trounces in the software and charge network categories.

Cross shopped the two. It was a coin flip decided by my build becoming current so that decided it :) Android auto may have been literally the deciding factor in me almost getting a Taycan 4S if not for my build suddenly coming and defaulting to lucid :)

Taycan is snug - for the driver and everyone else. I transport my kids in my car daily so taycan (even cross turismo) is nowhere near as comfortable for them especially the rear middle seat.

Driving: if you have access to lots of twisty roads and enjoy driving those, then Taycan has an edge. Otherwise, for me in Vancouver, I think the Air handles just as well for the roads I drive.

Air has much more useable storage space mostly b/c of the huge frunk

Air has true OTA updates vs Taycan needs most of its updates from the dealer

I think the taycan will be more expensive to maintain (don't know first hand but my MB EQS requires $1k annual maintenance to keep warranty valid vs lucid "optional/non-mandatory" service was $500 and my previous experience with porsches is service is more than MB)

I love the look of both esp cross turismo

efficiency - I bet the new 2025 taycan and air will be very similar real world efficiency but taycan charges faster (which I am sad about btw)

A few years back…..
I had a Panny Turbo and was interested in the Taycan turbo. Took a test drive and discussed with my service advisor who said stay away from the 2020/ 2021 cars as they would be visiting the shop quite often for various nagging issues. Overall a nice drivers car and aesthetically one of the better looking Ev ‘s in the marketplace

Last edited:
I currently drive a taycan 4S, I am going for a test drive in an air on friday, I will post my opinions on monday.

my lease on the taycan is expiring soon and I have shopped a MB EQE and a BMW I5, I preferred the I5

the thing that brought me to consider Lucid is range and pricing.

I currently drive a taycan 4S, I am going for a test drive in an air on friday, I will post my opinions on monday.

my lease on the taycan is expiring soon and I have shopped a MB EQE and a BMW I5, I preferred the I5

the thing that brought me to consider Lucid is range and pricing.
Before you decide, see this

Doug DeMuro reviewed the i5 here,
, and it scored well below the Lucid, Tesla, and Taycan. Not to mention I don't like the styling.

I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I drove the Air last month and it was really really awesome. So much so that my wife initiated putting down our deposit. The car is big and spacious, comfortable and fast, with extra long range. The tech is great - I currently drive a Tesla Model S, so I'm familiar with OTA updates and driving an EV. It seemed like the natural continuation of owning the best EVs of the day.

I drove a Taycan 4S this past weekend and it was sporty and tight. The interior felt more "traditional luxury", and the car is nearly as quick as the Air, smaller (though I know it's the same size on the outside) and more nimble. I felt that the tech wasn't as cleanly implemented, but Apple CarPlay does show up on the larger central screen and that's a plus. The Taycan GTS and Turbo are as fast / faster than the Air, but for significantly more $$$, and none of them can touch the range of the Air until the new 2025 Taycans start arriving with updated and larger batteries.

My conclusion is that there's no wrong choice here - honestly, two RIGHT choices. Like @LucidPez said above, the Air is a great luxury EV, while the Taycan is a great sporty EV. I just can't decide which one I want more.... :-( #FirstWorldProblems

If you like the Taycan, the 2025 prototype promises better range. Don't know if you can hold off that long. If you are talking right now, the lack of range killed consideration of the Taycan for me - and I had an early reservation!

If you like the Taycan, the 2025 prototype promises better range. Don't know if you can hold off that long. If you are talking right now, the lack of range killed consideration of the Taycan for me - and I had an early reservation!
Yeah, I was seriously considering the Taycan but range and poorer software, lack of OTA updates killed it. Now, after buying a Lucid, it’s completely out of my picture. Why swap Air for a Taycan and get less range and less space? I can actually pick someone else from the airport in a Lucid And have space for luggage.

Yeah, I was seriously considering the Taycan but range and poorer software, lack of OTA updates killed it. Now, after buying a Lucid, it’s completely out of my picture. Why swap Air for a Taycan and get less range and less space? I can actually pick someone else from the airport in a Lucid And have space for luggage.
Who said anything about swapping?😉

1712193998651.png

Solved.

Rule number 1: never take car buying advice from Internet reviewers/Youtubers / magazines drive what you’re interested in yourself. 🤘
Can't be too strict on this rule. Had to do this with the lucid. Couldn't test drive here in WA state and the first time I drove the car was when I brought it home. Same with my Rivian. No regrets on both. I've found YouTubers to be quite on target with how they describe ride and handling

I know. I know. Air v Tesla. Air v Taycan. Air v some other EV. I’m diving headlong into the head-to-heads. Specifically with the Taycan. Less range, but a more performance-oriented vehicle. The Air is just as quick in a straight line, but is it just a big luxury cruiser? Thoughts and comments HERE!
LUCID has, range, quality, 5 seats, very quiet interior, ultra luxury, very spacious and if you want to talk about fast, check that out too. I have had so many ppl say the back seat space is like a limousine. It look like no car out there therefor, it turns heads. Compare the prices and range. No comparison... LUCID is the best overall.

LUCID has, range, quality, 5 seats, very quiet interior, ultra luxury, very spacious and if you want to talk about fast, check that out too. I have had so many ppl say the back seat space is like a limousine. It look like no car out there therefor, it turns heads. Compare the prices and range. No comparison... LUCID is the best overall.
Taycan is way too expensive. Comparable build easily 120k

having just come out of a taycan into an Air GT, I can agree with most of your remarks. however the taycan has better battery management for charging. what that means that when on an extended road trip after you consume the initial big range you are back to charging every couple of hundred miles and the taycan is a faster charging car. the air does have the taycan beat in that regard if you remain within the initial range of the Air.

in addition IMHO the taycan is better in the twisties than the more sedan like ride in the Air.

Lastly the driver's seating position is better in the taycan, I can't seem to get my seat position just right in the Air.

Back