Sharing some relatively minor annoyances and comparing to a Taycan 4S

h_squared

Cars
Taycan 4S, Air GT
Hi everyone,
I've had an Air GT for about 3 months now, though it was at the Goose Island repair shop for about 4 weeks getting repaired (previous post).

A Very Brief Taycan 4S Comparison​

I really like both cars. The Taycan is an absolute blast to drive. The handling, steering, and overall driving dynamics are much more engaging in a Porsche product. Though, the Air makes up for it in practicality with a much more spacious interior and range. 0-60 in the Air GT feels like a rocket ship while the power delivery in the Taycan feels much more controlled. Both are enjoyable.

In terms of infotainment, the Taycan was the clear winner prior to Lucid's major software update back in October (or thereabouts) but I'm about equally satisfied with both of them despite some quirks in each. And, another relatively minor but important difference, the HomeLink transmitter in the Lucid either has better position or higher power output or some combination thereof. HomeLink works in the Lucid just fine but is intermittent in the Taycan.

Both cars are great conversation starters, though, I think the Lucid has a slim lead in terms of number of conversations started.

Minor Lucid Air Annoyances​

• The HomeLink button is not accessible when reversing without exiting the rear camera view. It would be nice to be able to close my garage without first having to close the camera view.
  • The wind noise from the mirrors or somewhere around there is quite loud once you hit 70mph. This drives my wife crazy. Not sure if there is a way they can address that.
  • Still having intermittent infotainment issues. Yesterday, the sound wouldn't turn on. The stereo wasn't muted and there should have otherwise been music playing. I tried FM, Spotify, and Tidal yet none produced sound in spite of the UI showing the songs' progressions. And, on a couple of occasions, the rear camera did not turn on while in reverse.
  • A clicking sound was occurring at the front end of the vehicle. Not sure what it was but I took a video and need to share it with some folks at Lucid. But, it happened 3 or 4 times over the past few days when the temps were very low. It occurred after I placed the vehicle in park. It has not reoccured since the temperatures have come back up.
  • The frunk froze shut during the recent cold snap. Though, I don't think that had anything to do with the aforementioned clicking sound.
  • Would be nice if there was a charging port on both sides like the Taycan.

One post closer to the coveted "Members Only" area :)

Hi everyone,
I've had an Air GT for about 3 months now, though it was at the Goose Island repair shop for about 4 weeks getting repaired (previous post).

I really like both cars. The Taycan is an absolute blast to drive. The handling, steering, and overall driving dynamics are much more engaging in a Porsche product. Though, the Air makes up for it in practicality with a much more spacious interior and range. 0-60 in the Air GT feels like a rocket ship while the power delivery in the Taycan feels much more controlled. Both are enjoyable.

In terms of infotainment, the Taycan was the clear winner prior to Lucid's major software update back in October (or thereabouts) but I'm about equally satisfied with both of them despite some quirks in each. And, another relatively minor but important difference, the HomeLink transmitter in the Lucid either has better position or higher power output or some combination thereof. HomeLink works in the Lucid just fine but is intermittent in the Taycan.

Both cars are great conversation starters, though, I think the Lucid has a slim lead in terms of number of conversations started.

• The HomeLink button is not accessible when reversing without exiting the rear camera view. It would be nice to be able to close my garage without first having to close the camera view.
  • The wind noise from the mirrors or somewhere around there is quite loud once you hit 70mph. This drives my wife crazy. Not sure if there is a way they can address that.
  • Still having intermittent infotainment issues. Yesterday, the sound wouldn't turn on. The stereo wasn't muted and there should have otherwise been music playing. I tried FM, Spotify, and Tidal yet none produced sound in spite of the UI showing the songs' progressions. And, on a couple of occasions, the rear camera did not turn on while in reverse.
  • A clicking sound was occurring at the front end of the vehicle. Not sure what it was but I took a video and need to share it with some folks at Lucid. But, it happened 3 or 4 times over the past few days when the temps were very low. It occurred after I placed the vehicle in park. It has not reoccured since the temperatures have come back up.
  • The frunk froze shut during the recent cold snap. Though, I don't think that had anything to do with the aforementioned clicking sound.

Nice write up. If the Lucid didn't exist, I most likely would have ended up in a Taycan.

I do love that charging port on both sides idea.

I think the wind noise may be a seal problem of some sort. I am not hearing much of that in my car. But others have reported it as well, so maybe it's something Lucid could check out for you? Or maybe it's just because I am coming from a Tesla, which sounded like you were in a wind tunnel at speeds above 50. Maybe have your wife rent a Tesla for a few weeks so she can see how bad it actually could be?

ditto on first
ditto on wind noise
skip third
ditto on forth: way below freezing ... weird thunking noise coming from front area... your description matches my one-time experience.

Volkswagon AG lied to their customers and cheated on emissions. Porsche is forever dead to me. Also = EA

Nice write up. If the Lucid didn't exist, I most likely would have ended up in a Taycan.

I do love that charging port on both sides idea.

I think the wind noise may be a seal problem of some sort. I am not hearing much of that in my car. But others have reported it as well, so maybe it's something Lucid could check out for you? Or maybe it's just because I am coming from a Tesla, which sounded like you were in a wind tunnel at speeds above 50. Maybe have your wife rent a Tesla for a few weeks so she can see how bad it actually could be?
We had a model y for a little while, definitely agree with you there.

I sold my Taycan 4S today after almost 35,000 miles that were trouble free and loved every minute. The Air Touring I have had for 800 miles now was a little annoying at first and with 2 software updates last week is better. Definitely not as sporting a drive compared to the Porsche (mine had performance package with rear wheel steering), but the increased range, improved compliance with road irregularities, and dramatically larger interior are very strong points of the Lucid. I find the sound system in the Lucid sounds better but the software and poor maneuverability of the player is a real downer. I am confident this will improve over time. The highway assist works well in the Lucid and performs better than its equivalent in the Taycan. Regen braking much stronger in the Lucid but I prefer the brake pedal controlled regen in the Taycan. I already miss the charging points on both sides.

Bottom line is I love both but they are very different.

I loved my Taycan. The #1 reason I got rid of it was software (and making a profit). Frankly, the Taycans software is ranked as the worst out of all EVs (and notoriously known as being so.. check JD reports). I can’t agree that it’s infotainment is better. It was only tolerable with CarPlay support.

I sold my Taycan 4S today after almost 35,000 miles that were trouble free and loved every minute. The Air Touring I have had for 800 miles now was a little annoying at first and with 2 software updates last week is better. Definitely not as sporting a drive compared to the Porsche (mine had performance package with rear wheel steering), but the increased range, improved compliance with road irregularities, and dramatically larger interior are very strong points of the Lucid. I find the sound system in the Lucid sounds better but the software and poor maneuverability of the player is a real downer. I am confident this will improve over time. The highway assist works well in the Lucid and performs better than its equivalent in the Taycan. Regen braking much stronger in the Lucid but I prefer the brake pedal controlled regen in the Taycan. I already miss the charging points on both sides.

Bottom line is I love both but they are very different.
which sound system did you have in the taycan? base, bose or burmester?

Bose. The Taycan has 3 settings for regenerative braking. On, off, and automatic which means off at higher speeds and on at lower speed. The regenerative strength is about 40% as much as the low setting on the Lucid.

Hi everyone,

I have experienced the same issues with the infotainment system. No sound but the progress bar moving. Same issue with the camera. Displays "unavailable" instead of picture. Simple reset fixes both issues, but annoying.

Back