Lucid Air Touring v Porsche Taycan

You know, I said I was going to hold off for a couple years because of the improved range and charging curve of the new Taycan, but at these prices, I might reconsider. Realistically, the Lucid would be the roadtrip car and Taycan would be the out and about town car.
Congrats Koflo - will wait for your imprssion/review of your new car!
The new one is definitely a big upgrade, but it’s not worth 100% more money imo. I would personally get a 22 or 23 at a great price right now. And then upgrade to the new one when they’ve depreciated. Unfortunately if you want to drive luxury EVs, depreciation is the name of the game, so there’s no winning lol.

You know, I said I was going to hold off for a couple years because of the improved range and charging curve of the new Taycan, but at these prices, I might reconsider. Realistically, the Lucid would be the roadtrip car and Taycan would be the out and about town car.
the taycan is a great road tripping car. it's charging rate is better than the Lucid's. while the lucid will allow you to skip the initial charge stop a taycan will make that advantage is gone on longer road trips that require multiple charge stops.

the taycan is a great road tripping car. it's charging rate is better than the Lucid's. while the lucid will allow you to skip the initial charge stop a taycan will make that advantage is gone on longer road trips that require multiple charge stops.
With the updates to the charging curve on the 2024 GT and Sapphire I wonder if that advantage will still be as significant.

The new one is definitely a big upgrade, but it’s not worth 100% more money imo. I would personally get a 22 or 23 at a great price right now. And then upgrade to the new one when they’ve depreciated. Unfortunately if you want to drive luxury EVs, depreciation is the name of the game, so there’s no winning lol.
Well, some folk like to play the used cars game. I'm not one of them.
But, I'm not your accountant, therefore power to you, who am I to spend your money.
Enjoy your car to the fullest.

Well, some folk like to play the used cars game. I'm not one of them.
But, I'm not your accountant, therefore power to you, who am I to spend your money.
Enjoy your car to the fullest.
Yes that’s pretty much what I said, buy a used one to limit your depreciation. If you buy only new ones, it’s probably going to hurt your bank account lol.

At least with Lucid, they subsidize leases heavily so you can get a new one for relatively low depreciation. Porsche will rather burn in hell than devalue their brand with cheap leases haha

With the updates to the charging curve on the 2024 GT and Sapphire I wonder if that advantage will still be as significant.
It’s a 30 minute charge to 80% on the Sapphire and probably the 2024 GT, vs 40 minutes on the older cars. So it should definitely be better. But the last gen Taycan is 22 minutes and the new one is like 17 or 18 minutes.

Just checked, Taycan base price $99,400 , that is without full leather seats, only 8 way adjustable, no ventilated seats, no surround camera, no rear heated seats, no cruise control. Looks like they increased the base model by 10k for the new updates.

I configured a AWD model comparable to the features my Air Touring has- came to 136k.

Depends if you think the premium over a Lucid is worth the driving experience while sacrificing range, space, OTA updates. Lucid is no slouch in the handling department.

Yes but comfort and rear seat room more important to the fam...

Yes but comfort and rear seat room more important to the fam...
the taycan may not be the best choice for a family hauler, everyone has their unique needs, for an old fogey like myself the rear seats aren't a large concern and for me the car was a great DD and road tripper.
I have not been able to get the driver's seat in my lucid into that perfect position, the taycan was much better in that regard.

Clarkson = 🤡🤡🤡🤡show
SMUG fella my take from the few times I chose 2 tune in over the years.

You watch for the comedy. I think he does a good job at capturing emotion of driving different cars. Obviously he pokes a lot of fun at different cars out of jest, including Porsches. But the trio was always fun to watch. I don’t think he’s the worlds greatest car reviewer by any means, but for the specific purpose of trying to catch emotion from his reviews, he shows it quite well.

Pretty sure I recall you owed me a beer and a 10 second car, right? ;)
Ahhh I was hoping you would forget about the second part to our arrangement!

You can pick up your beer coupon anytime you are in town! Maybe you misheard me too, I think I said a DRIVE in a 10 second car to which you can get anytime from me as well! ;)

Thank you! I am excited for it, definitely. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the Lucid. I think its a good 1-2 combo. I will definitely report back with one of my (maybe) brutally honest thoughts on the two cars when compared. On paper, its not much of a fight but I've heard for many years that the Porsche experience is defined rather in the things not on paper.

Straight line 0-60 1/4
The Lucid GT is slightly quicker than the Taycan turbo
They were both running at the track last week. They had almost identical times this was not the GT performance. Was the GT base.

Koflo
Congrats on the turbo. I’m sure you will love it a ton of car for the price.
Thanks man. Sounds like it will be your next move. It gets glowing reviews in the press but living with it day to day is a whole different animal. Thankfully the biggest drawback (back seat space) really doesn't matter to me. The dog can fit back there and thats all that is needed.

Back