Losing Charge, While Charging!

dbschwartz

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Thought I’d post this unusual situation and maybe one of you has an idea why it’s happening. My wife and I fly back / forth between homes and usually park my Volvo XC60 Hybrid in the hanger. Several days ago she came over in her Lucid and I thought I’d use the “free” electricity and just go ahead and (slowly) charge it. I think that it had about 160 miles of range and I plugged it in using the 120 Volvo charger I leave there. Took a look yesterday afternoon and range was 121 miles…this morning it‘s 107 miles (see attached screen shots)! I’ll give Lucid a call tomorrow but I’m sure glad I’m flying in early too before it goes to zero! 🤨. Again, ideas anyone??

Attachments

• F87A5ECD-62B9-4A23-AD10-E04F7222D543.jpeg
    F87A5ECD-62B9-4A23-AD10-E04F7222D543.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 28DC0BE9-31A5-4FB3-AFE2-B962BBE2B8B3.jpeg
    28DC0BE9-31A5-4FB3-AFE2-B962BBE2B8B3.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 100
If you're using the basic 110 charger, and you're parked in an un-airconditioned hangar, my guess is that your car is using more power to cool the batteries than it is bringing in through the charger.

I’ve had this happen in what I believe was exactly the situation that @Maverick describes. I was away at the time and had I waited until I came home, my car probably would’ve gone down to zero which seemed like a bad thing. It also was unresponsive to my app when I tried to stop the charging. So I had someone swing by my place and physically pull the charger out.

On other occasions, I’ve been able to charge to 100% using the 110V wall outlet 🤷‍♂️

Thanks to you both, weirdly makes sense that the car might require more juice cooling batteries in a hot hanger than it’s able to draw…would’ve never thought that. But, Sacramento has been running 110 degrees+ for a few days and hanger is a metal structure!

Another fun fact when it comes to range...when you're driving the AC also keeps the batteries at a 92 degree temp, so even if you're not using the AC much for your interior, it's being used to keep the batteries at that specific temp. Needless to say, on hot days, your AC is going to have a big impact on range.

Thought I’d post this unusual situation and maybe one of you has an idea why it’s happening. My wife and I fly back / forth between homes and usually park my Volvo XC60 Hybrid in the hanger. Several days ago she came over in her Lucid and I thought I’d use the “free” electricity and just go ahead and (slowly) charge it. I think that it had about 160 miles of range and I plugged it in using the 120 Volvo charger I leave there. Took a look yesterday afternoon and range was 121 miles…this morning it‘s 107 miles (see attached screen shots)! I’ll give Lucid a call tomorrow but I’m sure glad I’m flying in early too before it goes to zero! 🤨. Again, ideas anyone??
Wait, you have a hangar? I’m totally doing life wrong!

Back