life of the battery

EV batteries are rated for 1500 - 3000 charging cycles. Since I add around 50% each time I charge, and I get 3 miles/Kw, my battery will last an estimated 252000 to 504000 miles. That far exceeds the miles I will drive in the Lucid.
GeoTab-fast-charging-chart.jpg
How does this affect the stays when you're leaving it plugged in all the time? If you think of the EV like an ICE, you leave it unplugged until you need to charge. Meaning you're not topping out every night, or leaving it plugged in.

Is that what most people are doing? Like if you're at 40% you're still not charging it because you got juice left for another few days of driving before charging?

I thought this thread would be more metaphysical. Does the battery strive to better itself? What legacy would it leave when it’s gone? Is there a battery afterlife?

EV technology is still developing quickly. Eight years is a long time to own one.
….But 100k is not. Love driving the Lucid so it could be out of a battery warranty in 5 years. It looks like our Leaf will be out of warranty sometime between 5-6 years by hitting the 100k miles.

….But 100k is not. Love driving the Lucid so it could be out of a battery warranty in 5 years. It looks like our Leaf will be out of warranty sometime between 5-6 years by hitting the 100k miles.
Sure - but it’s pretty industry standard in terms of warranties, and there haven’t been significant battery degradation issues in other brands. It was heavily worried about in the early days, but the estimates turned out to be quite conservative.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it.

Sure - but it’s pretty industry standard in terms of warranties, and there haven’t been significant battery degradation issues in other brands. It was heavily worried about in the early days, but the estimates turned out to be quite conservative.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it.
Thanks for the reassurance. As this is also my first EV, it's something in the back of my head I always worry about. I know electric drive trains and motors are rates at well over 500k+ miles before problems are estimated, but battery is usually the bigger worry point for me.

How does this affect the stays when you're leaving it plugged in all the time? If you think of the EV like an ICE, you leave it unplugged until you need to charge. Meaning you're not topping out every night, or leaving it plugged in.

Is that what most people are doing? Like if you're at 40% you're still not charging it because you got juice left for another few days of driving before charging?
I can't speak for anyone other than myself. I run the battery down to around 30% then charge to 80-83%. I could charge at home nightly, but I don't like tripping over the cable as I am often in the garage, which I also use as a wood shop.

Thanks for the reassurance. As this is also my first EV, it's something in the back of my head I always worry about. I know electric drive trains and motors are rates at well over 500k+ miles before problems are estimated, but battery is usually the bigger worry point for me.
I hear you. I was concerned too, and am by no means a battery expert. But the research I’ve done on other EVs bodes well.

I just learned that batteries in California are warrantied for 10 years or 150,000 miles. This is perfect because I’m planning on keeping my car for 10 years, which is 3 times longer than I’ve kept any car.
That only applies to hybrids unfortunately.

Back