• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Let's talk about the Air's interior compared to competing luxury cars

I’m a lot younger but similar build (6’3” 230lbs) and can say the ingress/egress of the air is tighter than the EQS, but vastly better than the e-Tron GT and Taycan. You should be fine but I would check it in person.

For the ride quality I found the EQS to be inferior to the Air on 19” wheels. The Mercedes was just too floaty and could not manage the weight effectively, coming off as a worse S-class. The Air is supremely well sorted on the smaller wheels.
I’m not a big guy, but did find you do need to duck a little more getting into the Air. The interior was very nice and MB quality without the led disco lights. It is light years ahead of the Model S in detail and quality.

I’m not a big guy, but did find you do need to duck a little more getting into the Air. The interior was very nice and MB quality without the led disco lights. It is light years ahead of the Model S in detail and quality.
Yes. I was initially worried but after some use during my test drives I got over it. The A-pillar is nicely padded which protects against knocks, and isn’t overly intrusive (just mildly annoying).

We made several visits to the two Florida Design Studios to check out the Air during our long, long wait for the car. On each visit, I found the size and position of both the A pillars and the roof rails over the rear entry to be a real annoyance. Not only did I hit my head more than once, I found them very visually intrusive. More than once they set me to reconsidering whether I wanted to go through with the purchase.

To my surprise, after owning the car for over two months, I no longer notice them at all. I guess I've formed the motor memory to contort myself under them without thinking about it. I've gotten so enamored of the space and open feeling once inside the cabin that the momentary inconvenience of getting in and out fades into insignificance. Inside a showroom you cannot get a real sense of just how open -- and Airy -- that cabin feels on the road. Given how high the belt-line of the car actually is, it's a remarkable design feat.

We made several visits to the two Florida Design Studios to check out the Air during our long, long wait for the car. On each visit, I found the size and position of both the A pillars and the roof rails over the rear entry to be a real annoyance. Not only did I hit my head more than once, I found them very visually intrusive. More than once they set me to reconsidering whether I wanted to go through with the purchase.

To my surprise, after owning the car for over two months, I no longer notice them at all. I guess I've formed the motor memory to contort myself under them without thinking about it. I've gotten so enamored of the space and open feeling once inside the cabin that the momentary inconvenience of getting in and out fades into insignificance. Inside a showroom you cannot get a real sense of just how open -- and Airy -- that cabin feels on the road. Given how high the belt-line of the car actually is, it's a remarkable design feat.

Do you think coming from an SUV or mini-van aggravates the head bumping as opposed to a sedan?

Do you think coming from an SUV or mini-van aggravates the head bumping as opposed to a sedan?

Although we have a Honda Odyssey minivan, the car I was getting into and out of most often while checking out the Air was a Tesla Model S. I never had the same head-bumping experience with either the 2105 or newly-updated 2021 Model S. I've also owned some low cars, such as a Corvette and three Audi R8's (two of them coupes), and never found it difficult to avoid head bumping.

It's odd, though. As I was getting used to getting into and out of the Air, I started to pay attention to what I was doing as I got into and out of our Model S and our Odyssey. I found I actually was doing a bit of abnormal ducking and head twisting, even in the Odyssey. So apparently I had formed some motor memory with those vehicles without realizing it. It may be that the Air's roof rails were just intrusive enough to kick the formation of motor memory into the range of consciousness, whereas in other vehicles it was done more unconsciously.

But, at the end of the day, once the motor memory was formed, the aggravation of getting into and out of the Air largely disappeared. But the occasional passenger will bump his or her head as long as you have the car.

My other car is a Grand Cherokee and like @hmp10 I only bumped my head looking at the Lucid in the studio. I have not bumped my head in my own car yet and I have not had a passenger comment on it. I am sure that at some time passengers will comment because it takes a few times in and out to get used to it.

Gee, I turn 63 in a few months. Does this mean I no longer qualify for an AGT?! This will actually be our first EV. Driving a Yukon Denali and a BMW MS currently. We are replacing my wife's Audi A8, which we generally use to travel. Definitely a factor in opting for the longer range model. Although...with my wife's lead foot, 800HP does bring some concerns. ;-)

I wish Lucid had designed removable Sun visors. Magnets come to mind. I often move them to the side but the cabin would be much airier with a better design.

Wife and I are in our late 60's. Purchased a new MB S Class in 2015 and that is our current vehicle. We love MB luxury, we love a big sedan. Decided to go EV about 2 years and rejected the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace. Did not get them because we felt range was too limiting and interior just a bit too cozy. We reserved both a Lucid GT and a Mercedes EQS with the intent of making a decision prior to one of the companies calling to place an order. Took us a few weeks to recognize we like them both...almost equally. We decided on the Lucid Air GT.

Everyone has their criteria when deciding on any vehicle purchase. Our primary drivers favoring the Air were:
- Air has bi-directional changing, EQS does not. Having lived through the Texas freeze and power outage last year we went solar with battery backup. The Air provides a huge storage system, and unlike the batteries in our garage the batteries in the Air can also be used to drive a vehicle.
- Air exterior is so much more beautiful to us. The egg like shape of the EQS...well...it is functional!
- The range of the Air is far preferable for a retired couple who enjoy day trips as well as long vacation drives.

On the flip side the primary reasons for us choosing the EQS were:
- The far superior luxury interior. It is an S Class. But we can live without the glitz of the hyper screen and all the interior lighting. We grew to appreciate the rather simple beauty of the Air interior.
- MB is a legacy company that we feel confident will outlive us. Lucid? Who knows. The nearest MB service center is 10 miles away, the nearest Lucid service center is 270 miles (yes, I know they do mobile service as well). There is just more peace of mind with MB.

There are many other differences we discussed in our decision making process, but the above subjects were the key drivers of our final decision.

Last week our Air GT reservation became an order. We did not cancel our EQS reservation because...well...Lucid is a new company and they are both really nice vehicles. Years after taking delivery I think both Air buyers and EQS buyers will decide....yes, we made the right choice.

I am fortunate that the Lucid design studio is about 9 miles away; the Lucid service center is about 11 miles away. And if I should choose to go traditional automakers...BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, etc. are only about 4 miles away.

The EQS is totally unappealing to me. To #$%&^% big! I prefer something smaller and more maneuverable. But I still want performance and range. Current choices are few and far between but I figure by late 2023 or 2024 (when I will be ready to change my current DD) there will be many including the Lucid Air Pure (I obviously haven't driven it yet but I am assuming that with 480 HP it will move quickly).

I am fortunate that the Lucid design studio is about 9 miles away; the Lucid service center is about 11 miles away. And if I should choose to go traditional automakers...BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, etc. are only about 4 miles away.

The EQS is totally unappealing to me. To #$%&^% big! I prefer something smaller and more maneuverable. But I still want performance and range. Current choices are few and far between but I figure by late 2023 or 2024 (when I will be ready to change my current DD) there will be many including the Lucid Air Pure (I obviously haven't driven it yet but I am assuming that with 480 HP it will move quickly).
I have driven the EQS 580 and didn't like it. Waiting to drive the AMG version in a few days.

I got to see and sit in a BMW i4 and it looks nice and is smaller. Didn't get to drive it.

Gee, I turn 63 in a few months. Does this mean I no longer qualify for an AGT?! This will actually be our first EV. Driving a Yukon Denali and a BMW MS currently. We are replacing my wife's Audi A8, which we generally use to travel. Definitely a factor in opting for the longer range model. Although...with my wife's lead foot, 800HP does bring some concerns. ;-)
Got ya Brad....I'm 68, wife 62...and we just placed our order for the AGT. This is also our first EV. In retirement we went to one car, an S Class. So we are moving from a vehicle similar to your wife's.

I initially commented on a post comparing the Air to the EQS and noticed the distaste for the EQS' interior over the Lucid's simple interior. I would like to just repost that comment in this post since this aspect of the Air has been bugging me quite a bit. Essentially, I find that for how much the Lucid Air costs and the segment it is competing in the interior just does not cut it. Sure most of the materials are good but the visual aspect and experience isn't exactly there. Doug DeMuro did briefly comment on this stating that the Air definitely isn't as luxurious on the inside as its german competitors and I absolutely agree. I have personally sat in one for a good amount as well wondering if they just took the base model's interior and copied it to every trim. It felt like I was in a $70-80,000 car rather than a six figure car and this was the same price that my friends had in mind until I told them it was above $100,000. At that point, they were shocked since it didn't seem exciting to them from a visual standpoint. To put it best I am a fan of interiors in Bentleys, Mercedes S class, and the EQS. The Air is just overly simplistic for the money and I can't forgive how many promised features have been stripped without a drop in price especially standard luxury features such as powered doors and air suspension. Anyway, I will leave my comment from the other thread below and would like to know if I am alone on this or what you all think.

I'm very surprised that the Lucid's simplistic interior is being accepted over the EQS' interior. I'm personally finding it very hard to confirm my Grand Touring reservation due to the interior as I do not see how it is worth it for the money. The EQS offers much more for less in terms of interior technology and quality/looks. I believe it could be due to the target audience? The Lucid seems to appeal to an older audience hence why I think the EQS' hyper-screen and modern fashion sense is not appreciated by the Lucid audience. The quilted leather for instance is something I really like and many of my leather jackets from Boda Skins that I wear for example are quilted giving a modern twist to the classic leather biker jacket. I receive immense compliments for this quilted style of jackets with many people telling me how much they love the quilted design so this hate for quilted leather in a vehicle seemed strange to me. I have always found this beautiful and the seats of the Air appear overly bland to me especially for the money and many others I've shown them to have been unimpressed. Also, I appreciate the ambient lighting in the EQS and if one does find it distasteful why not disable them? Again, I truly am amazed by the reaction to the EQS' interior. I've noticed that the younger reviewers <40 tend to appreciate it. In fact, Kyle from Out of Spec Reviews really loves it despite the hideous exterior of the EQS. Doug DeMuro really likes the EQS' interior as well while stating that the Air definitely doesn't meet German rivals' level of luxury. I am personally a fan of the EQS' interior being a buyer at 21. I'm likely going to skip the Air and I may wait for the next EV that can offer great performance, a nice exterior, and a "gaudy" interior ;). In my eyes the Air's interior just took many bits from Tesla and the Porsche Taycan and combined them for something very underwhelming. The "cockpit display" is obviously copied from the Taycan while the overall simplicity mimics a Tesla which is what I wished to avoid with Teslas in the first place (alongside their quality issues of course). With all of this being said Lucid will continue to grow and change. I am sure this company's future is going to be great despite some hurdles. Despite this, I don't see myself being in one with the overly simplistic design choices and promised features that never made it and am probably canceling my order soon. I don't think range and performance is enough to justify the money although I really do want impressive performance in a car. I also don't really like the alcantara. Give me the option of leather and a full white or light colored interior instead of forcing black front seats and a black steering wheel. For me personally, if the Lucid Air Grand Touring had the EQS' interior that'd be the perfect car (alongside better paint options because the current ones definitely aren't that great). I think what they did was they played it safe by making the interior simple, probably did it to cut on costs, or it just made their job easier. Perhaps they truly think a six figure luxury sedan should look like an $70-80k from the inside. I don't like it and it does look like the base interior was just copied to all the trims. The best thing they could do is give buyers the ability to choose what they want like many of the established brands. Also, a side note but what's up with the cheap pedals especially in the $170k dream edition? Not only that but the cheap plastic door trigger that you'll be using for the lifetime of the car. So much for attention to detail. :(

View attachment 441View attachment 442View attachment 448View attachment 446View attachment 450View attachment 447View attachment 443View attachment 445
I am so glad that you posted your comments praising the EQS for interior detail.

my thought is that the MB interior is slightly more elegant As far as the s3ats are concerned. But that is the end of my praise. The dash is too busy and gaudy, I think it is a distraction to driving especially at night. The vehicle also is quite dark inside even on a day with no clods! The ability to see what’s around you is hampered by the lack of glass, I felt like I was in a Russian tank with no windows.

Your comment about your wardrobe seems to suggest that you walk around you house in a smoking jacket and smoke a pipe. However I will try to keep my comments focused on the car and the company. To give you some background I have run dealer service departments for over 35 years, 16 of those years was at one of the last guest Mercedes-Benz dealers in the US.

So let me comment on the German- Mercedes-Benz vehicles. I have owned 13 MB’s in the last 20 years, I do appreciate some aspects of their design, but mostly I enjoy the performance aspect, the safety aspect and the handling. What I do not like about them is that they are engineered like no other car in the World. This does not mean they are better cars.In Fact it means they are extremely problamatic.
you see over The years they were first to market with the air bag, the dual zone HVAC, the sunroof, the electric windows, crumple zone energy absorption, Automatic transmissions, air conditioning, heated seats, fuel injection (both mechanical and electronic), keyless go and the list goes on and on. Sounds great right cud’s to the Germans! Well hold on not yet, in my years my service people have had to deal with the repair of All of these things. Let’s just talk about disasters that have taken place just over the last 20 years. The first three years of the ML was a disaster. They had fuel pumps that were made out of alloys that corroded when exposed to what? Gasoline! It took MB years to fix the problem. ML also has body panel insulation that melted in the heat. So when you rolled the windows down or used your sunroof you would find that the glass was covered with black adhesive, the ML was also the first MB to use the new technology of the balance shaft where the gears were not strong enough to not wear out prematurely causing a secret warranty extension, but if you had 80k miles on the vehicle you had to pay $6000 for the repair. The. There was the 2003 new E class model introduction. It was the first to have keyless Go, except that it did not work all the time. It also was the introduction of the sensatronic brake system or brake by wire, no master cylinder. The brakes worked great I owned one but at 550-80k miles you would drive down the road and your dash board would turn red with a message to stop the car that you were having a brake failure. So if you stood on the brake pedal for awhile it would eventually stop in 2-3 tenths of a mile. So what came along another secret 8-10 year warranty. then there was the E class spring perch issue. A spring perch was what held the front suspension in place, except they rotted out and the wheel and strut would separate from the car while driving. Recently MB has another rust issue and that is that the rear subframes (this holds the rear suspension in place) they are now rotting Out until the frame breaks and you can pay the dealer 5 grand for the repair.

My favorites disaster is suspension system that you mentioned, but you called it an air suspension, in fact it is hydraulic. This Engineering feat consisted of a pump, a reservoir, a pump, a few proportioning valves and 2 shocks and two struts. This allowed the computer to raise, lower, stiffen or relax each corner of the suspension during cornering to,give you the best ride MB has ever provided to its customers. Personally I found it to be fantastic. However compared to the ride and handling that I enjoy in my dream edition truly the MB system is a lot of expensive junk for a lesser quality ride. But to add insult to injury, when shock or strut fails, it costs over 3500 to replace. Bu that is just the start because once one goes, then another fails and another fails and last one fails and you have spent over 10 k to repair. Bu that is not the end, as these shocks leak slowly the amount of oil in the pump is going down (without any dash warning I might add)and the pump grinds it’s gears spewing metal debris into the system until proportioning valves clog and stick with the vehicle either unable to move up or down. To fix this and flush the system (really no way to get all the metal out of the lines) will cost another 4K. So there were many customers that simply gave up on their pride S class that they drive around in while wearing there favorite leather jackets with the nice pattern.

I once met the head engineer for the SL, a nice fella and I took him to lunch and asked him about many of the issues noted above. He smiled at me and his heavy German accent he said to me “David, you know we are Germans”. And I nodded my understanding, and he said “You know David we Germans are not always right, but (he paused) we are never wrong.

MB has been using its customers as Guinea Pigs for over 100 years, they continue to release their technology before it has been refined and tested suf

Now I could go on and on, but here is the bottom line. MB put

I initially commented on a post comparing the Air to the EQS and noticed the distaste for the EQS' interior over the Lucid's simple interior. I would like to just repost that comment in this post since this aspect of the Air has been bugging me quite a bit. Essentially, I find that for how much the Lucid Air costs and the segment it is competing in the interior just does not cut it. Sure most of the materials are good but the visual aspect and experience isn't exactly there. Doug DeMuro did briefly comment on this stating that the Air definitely isn't as luxurious on the inside as its german competitors and I absolutely agree. I have personally sat in one for a good amount as well wondering if they just took the base model's interior and copied it to every trim. It felt like I was in a $70-80,000 car rather than a six figure car and this was the same price that my friends had in mind until I told them it was above $100,000. At that point, they were shocked since it didn't seem exciting to them from a visual standpoint. To put it best I am a fan of interiors in Bentleys, Mercedes S class, and the EQS. The Air is just overly simplistic for the money and I can't forgive how many promised features have been stripped without a drop in price especially standard luxury features such as powered doors and air suspension. Anyway, I will leave my comment from the other thread below and would like to know if I am alone on this or what you all think.

I'm very surprised that the Lucid's simplistic interior is being accepted over the EQS' interior. I'm personally finding it very hard to confirm my Grand Touring reservation due to the interior as I do not see how it is worth it for the money. The EQS offers much more for less in terms of interior technology and quality/looks. I believe it could be due to the target audience? The Lucid seems to appeal to an older audience hence why I think the EQS' hyper-screen and modern fashion sense is not appreciated by the Lucid audience. The quilted leather for instance is something I really like and many of my leather jackets from Boda Skins that I wear for example are quilted giving a modern twist to the classic leather biker jacket. I receive immense compliments for this quilted style of jackets with many people telling me how much they love the quilted design so this hate for quilted leather in a vehicle seemed strange to me. I have always found this beautiful and the seats of the Air appear overly bland to me especially for the money and many others I've shown them to have been unimpressed. Also, I appreciate the ambient lighting in the EQS and if one does find it distasteful why not disable them? Again, I truly am amazed by the reaction to the EQS' interior. I've noticed that the younger reviewers <40 tend to appreciate it. In fact, Kyle from Out of Spec Reviews really loves it despite the hideous exterior of the EQS. Doug DeMuro really likes the EQS' interior as well while stating that the Air definitely doesn't meet German rivals' level of luxury. I am personally a fan of the EQS' interior being a buyer at 21. I'm likely going to skip the Air and I may wait for the next EV that can offer great performance, a nice exterior, and a "gaudy" interior ;). In my eyes the Air's interior just took many bits from Tesla and the Porsche Taycan and combined them for something very underwhelming. The "cockpit display" is obviously copied from the Taycan while the overall simplicity mimics a Tesla which is what I wished to avoid with Teslas in the first place (alongside their quality issues of course). With all of this being said Lucid will continue to grow and change. I am sure this company's future is going to be great despite some hurdles. Despite this, I don't see myself being in one with the overly simplistic design choices and promised features that never made it and am probably canceling my order soon. I don't think range and performance is enough to justify the money although I really do want impressive performance in a car. I also don't really like the alcantara. Give me the option of leather and a full white or light colored interior instead of forcing black front seats and a black steering wheel. For me personally, if the Lucid Air Grand Touring had the EQS' interior that'd be the perfect car (alongside better paint options because the current ones definitely aren't that great). I think what they did was they played it safe by making the interior simple, probably did it to cut on costs, or it just made their job easier. Perhaps they truly think a six figure luxury sedan should look like an $70-80k from the inside. I don't like it and it does look like the base interior was just copied to all the trims. The best thing they could do is give buyers the ability to choose what they want like many of the established brands. Also, a side note but what's up with the cheap pedals especially in the $170k dream edition? Not only that but the cheap plastic door trigger that you'll be using for the lifetime of the car. So much for attention to detail. :(

View attachment 441View attachment 442View attachment 448View attachment 446View attachment 450View attachment 447View attachment 443View attachment 445
I am sorry to ramble so I will finish quickly what I started above. MB’s suck, the EQS Will prove to be just another high priced vehicle that your dealer cannot fix,many will be bought back as lemons and in the end if the leather seats excite you go for it. But be aware that the $400,000 2005 Maybach 62 with 20k miles on it is worth less that 100kmto been though there were less than 900 made. But excuse,the rest of us for buying an 1100 horsepower car that can go 470 mile between charges and blow the doors,off of any of your vehicles. But I think you should take your pompous ass ashould think you are so much better than those with lesser cars or homes or Wardrobe. My friend also has a Dream Edition to*9 with his Porschs, Audi’s and other assorted performance cars and he just keeps telling me that he doesn’t want to drive his EQS any more because it is not fun like his Dream.

Mr Trump, Ms Pelosi I wish you luck and I want to let you know,that if you go to the deign center in Stuttgart they will be able to install the same leather as you jackets so you can match your car to your clothes.

For what it's worth, next to an abysmal experience with a 1997 Corvette, the most problem-plagued car I ever owned was a Mercedes SL55 AMG. Brake-by-wire system went out twice, once leaving me able to stop the car only by running it up against a curb. Seat heaters failed. Trunk weather gasket leaked. Power window switch failed. Automatic transmission shifter linkage broke. Alternator failed, and replacement unit also failed before it even got out of the shop. Etc. I finally gave up on it as a daily driver and shipped it down to my Florida home to use there. Every time I arrived in Florida and tried to use the car, it ended up in the dealership for yet another repair, so I still ended up using loaners and rental cars for vacations there, anyway.

I switched to Audi R8's for my next three personal drivers and only had one minor sensor failure in my entire ownership experience with them. Never again with a Mercedes Benz for me.

From all the new EVs to choose from the EQS would be at the bottom of my list. Have not driven the EQS but my wife owned a 2017 SL and I never enjoyed driving it. The car did everything well but clearly lacking in the driving dynamics department. There is a bridge near our home that has a large separation. It in on a vertical incline and very slippery due to the metal hinge so the bridge can open. The cars are always under power driving up hill. My Son and I call it the hump. We even have a "Hump" rating for the cars we own or have driven over . For some reason the SL's rear end would jump to the right or left depending on the angle of approach. We thought it may be the run flats but it did it with a fresh regular set of tires as well. Strange behavior given how smooth the car is over road irregularities.

From all the new EVs to choose from the EQS would be at the bottom of my list. Have not driven the EQS but my wife owned a 2017 SL and I never enjoyed driving it. The car did everything well but clearly lacking in the driving dynamics department. There is a bridge near our home that has a large separation. It in on a vertical incline and very slippery due to the metal hinge so the bridge can open. The cars are always under power driving up hill. My Son and I call it the hump. We even have a "Hump" rating for the cars we own or have driven over . For some reason the SL's rear end would jump to the right or left depending on the angle of approach. We thought it may be the run flats but it did it with a fresh regular set of tires as well. Strange behavior given how smooth the car is over road irregularities.
Hump ratings sound...

Anyways, have you humped the Air yet?

Hump ratings sound...

1. Taycan 4s /Lucid Air (I think Lucid does slightly better but Son says Taycan) Taycan On Sale now
2. Plaid
3. Tesla MY
4. Ford Mach e
5 SL

SL Traded for the Taycan in 2020
Taycan on Sale now

Hump ratings sound...

A few years ago I wouldn't have cared about the hump rating. But lately Phoenix has been installing a lot of speed humps on its roads near where I live so suddenly the hump rating is important to me!

Back