Lane Keeping/Centering

tmilone103

Verified Owner
Two Things that I am not happy with and hope they can change in the future.

1. Lane keeping only works on certain highways. It does not work on many roads which are clearly lane marked but the car refuses to activate on them.
2. On the display it will only show an alert if you are extremely close to a line. On my Tesla is shows my vehicle on the display and always shows my position on the road whether or not I am running Autopilot.

Two Things that I am not happy with and hope they can change in the future.

1. Lane keeping only works on certain highways. It does not work on many roads which are clearly lane marked but the car refuses to activate on them.
2. On the display it will only show an alert if you are extremely close to a line. On my Tesla is shows my vehicle on the display and always shows my position on the road whether or not I am running Autopilot.
Just to clarify,

1) do you mean highway assist or lane keep assist? If the latter, it should work on any clearly marked road. If the former, it's geofenced for good reason.

2) personal preference, I don't want it, but the option for those who do would be nice.

Just to clarify,

1) do you mean highway assist or lane keep assist? If the latter, it should work on any clearly marked road. If the former, it's geofenced for good reason.

2) personal preference, I don't want it, but the option for those who do would be nice.
Highway Assist is the only way to get lane keeping correct? On my last trip only certain highways allowed for Highway Assist and the others only allowed Adaptive Cruise which offered no lane centering.

Highway Assist is the only way to get lane keeping correct? On my last trip only certain highways allowed for Highway Assist and the others only allowed Adaptive Cruise which offered no lane centering.
Lane Keep Assist and Highway Assist are two different functions. Highway Assist combines adaptive cruise control with lane centering and is only available on certain highways. Lane keep assist, when turned on, works on any roads with clear markings and attempts to keep the car from drifting into a adjacent lane by pulling the back into its original lane.

How do you turn on lane keep assist when highway assist is not available? I don't see anything in the manual? When highway assist is not available all I seem to see is Adaptive Cruise which does not have any lane assist.

How do you turn on lane keep assist when highway assist is not available? I don't see anything in the manual? When highway assist is not available all I seem to see is Adaptive Cruise which does not have any lane assist.
Lane keep assist is under settings / dream drive in the pilot panel. It defaults to on so it may already be on for you.

It's already on but it does not assist in keeping me centered. It only alerts when I get close to one side or another.

So my son's Hyundai Elantra offers more features at 1/5 of the price? His vehicle offers Lane Following Assist (LFA) on all marked roads where my AGT can only offer any steering assist on Geofencenced highways. That is really a shame.
In pretty certain that there hasn't been an indication that lane centering would be available on normal roads. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So my son's Hyundai Elantra offers more features at 1/5 of the price? His vehicle offers Lane Following Assist (LFA) on all marked roads where my AGT can only offer any steering assist on Geofencenced highways. That is really a shame.
Sure, that’s one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that these are the features that exist on the Lucid Air today, and that has always been public; the end.

More will come in the future, with time, as they get more comfortable with how HA performs. On highways, HA is up there with the best systems I’ve experienced, and has yet to scare me or phantom brake.

In the city, you can use ACC, but for now you have to steer. So… drive the car. For long trips, enjoy the comfort and additional relaxation that HA provides you.

Have a nice day.

How do you turn on lane keep assist when highway assist is not available? I don't see anything in the manual?
It's called Lane Departure Protection in the manual.
With so many posts talking about LKA and HA (especially HA) on the forum, it's surprising you weren't aware. This is also covered in the manual. With false expectations going in, yeah, not surprising that you would be disappointed. What is a shame is the start-ups in the auto industry all seem to think that introducing cars with software still in development (beta state) or features to be offered later is SOP. But at least Lucid (and Tesla) have active OTA processes capable of updating practically all aspects of the car rather than just the infotainment system like most companies (Hyundai Ioniq 5 gen1, new model year is supposed be more configurable via OTA. Hyundai is introducing a totally new EV platform called eM to be more like Lucid/Tesla). Unlike the Elantra which is WYSIWYG, the Lucid is constantly evolving.

Hyundai does have one of the best ADAS suites available. Probably why Lucid hired Eugene Lee who headed ADAS at Hyundai and helped develop GM's Super Cruise.

There are definitely some terminology issues around the functions and some of that has to do with the catchy names that manufacturers use to label their specific functions. The way I understand it, in general, there's lane departure warning (notification only if you drift out of your lane), lane keep assist (steers you back into your lane if you were to drift over a line) and lane centering (which should prevent you from needing either of the other 2). Of course adaptive cruise is a different and valuable feature.

Is this consistent with what the rest of you think?

My point is if Lucid wants to truly compete with other similar vehicles (Model S which is the closest competitor) then they will need to offer more features for the money. Having a $154,000 car only allow features such as lane centering to work on select geofenced roads is a huge mistake. These vehicles have enough cameras and lidar to offer these features on any road with lines that are easy to follow. Tesla offers auto pilot on all their vehicles and auto pilot works on all roads that have lane markings. I also don't understand why this would not be standard on any Lucid Air model and not only the high end models.

Also nowhere on the Lucid Motors website does it state anything about Dream Drive only working on select Geofenced highways.

My point is if Lucid wants to truly compete with other similar vehicles (Model S which is the closest competitor) then they will need to offer more features for the money. Having a $154,000 car only allow features such as lane centering to work on select geofenced roads is a huge mistake. These vehicles have enough cameras and lidar to offer these features on any road with lines that are easy to follow. Tesla offers auto pilot on all their vehicles and auto pilot works on all roads that have line markings. I also don't understand why this would not be standard on any Lucid Air model and not only the high end models.
I guess you could argue the Lucid Air offers more than their competitors in a truly subjective manner with regard to driving dynamics, comfort, looks, etc. Likewise, for the people looking for ADAS features Tesla and MB offer more in that department. These features will improve over time, hopefully, but Tesla, MB, GM, and Hyundai have all had years head start to develop their systems. I believe the expectation that Lucid could have the same level within the first year of production is probably a bit of wishful thinking. Personally, I'd rather have a great comfortable driving car than a car than can drive me in discomfort, and even that is suspect.

I guess you could argue the Lucid Air offers more than their competitors in a truly subjective manner with regard to driving dynamics, comfort, looks, etc. Likewise, for the people looking for ADAS features Tesla and MB offer more in that department. These features will improve over time, hopefully, but Tesla, MB, GM, and Hyundai have all had years head start to develop their systems. I believe the expectation that Lucid could have the same level within the first year of production is probably a bit of wishful thinking. Personally, I'd rather have a great comfortable driving car than a car than can drive me in discomfort, and even that is suspect.
There are times when you want both. I love using Auto Pilot on my Model S and while I always still have my hands on the wheel sometimes the vehicle can catch things before I might even be able to notice something. Dream Drive worked fine on one highway but as soon as I merged to another it was no longer available. Makes no sense to me when lanes are clearly marked the vehicle should not have an issue offering the same features on all roads.

Also nowhere on the Lucid Motors website does it state anything about Dream Drive only working on select Geofenced highways.
Why would anyone rely on what is clearly a marketing website to definitively lay out all the information regarding the car's software? You wrote that you looked for info on LKA in the manual. Did you miss the paragraph in the HA section that reads:
Highway Assist is available on some roads. If
you activate Highway Assist and then drive
onto a road that Highway Assist does not
support, the system will deactivate Highway
Assist and activate Adaptive Cruise Control.

Ford and GM both geo-fence, others probably do too. That is just how the software these companies based their semi-autonomous driving on work*. Your experience is with Tesla so it's natural to compare. Just keep in mind that Tesla developed the software you are experiencing over a decade. At this point in time, this is where Lucid's software is. Will it take a year, 2 years, 3 years for Lucid to get to where Tesla is today? I don't know. But I knew what I was buying because the DE owners told us along with early GT owners. They also linked the owners manual which I read before committing to buy the car. I was kind of surprised they documented things that weren't available yet but it does show where their software roadmap leads and how soon they think it will be available. They don't include Highway Pilot but do include Traffic Jam Assist. Even Highway Pilot (hands free) will be on geo-fenced highways (that was on a marketing blurb on the website). This was readily available information and I'm sorry you weren't aware of it.

*These companies only allow semi-autonomous driving where highly detailed mapping has been done. The mapping makes autonomous driving much easier to program and much safer as the sensors on the car only need to detect exceptions while verifying it sees what is expected. Traffic signals, speed limits, turn lanes, everything has been mapped so it's like you've made the trip before and know the layout. Of course, Tesla chose a different route. They rely on regular navigation maps so the car knows what streets are coming up and how many lanes there are. If you've been in a car with FSD, you may have run into a situation where it chooses to be in a left turn lane but is supposed to go straight. It only figures out it's a left turn lane when it sees the left arrow painted on the pavement. Tesla builds maps on the fly - each car every trip is building a new detailed map as it travels down the road...and it doesn't store it. It has to build that map every time it goes on this route. Sensor data becomes more dense the closer you get so building on the fly means the picture doesn't become really clear until the car is close. So yes, Tesla can drive anywhere they did not define as off limits but it can't do it as safely as a platform that uses the detailed mapping pre-built. This explains some of the issues autopilot/FSD has. The design fulfills Elon's vision of autonomous driving everywhere but he needs better sensors to be able to decipher the environment and make decisions. I have to wonder if the systems other companies are using will always be limited to places with a cell signal unless they can preload a massive amount of data.

My point is if Lucid wants to truly compete with other similar vehicles (Model S which is the closest competitor) then they will need to offer more features for the money. Having a $154,000 car only allow features such as lane centering to work on select geofenced roads is a huge mistake. These vehicles have enough cameras and lidar to offer these features on any road with lines that are easy to follow. Tesla offers auto pilot on all their vehicles and auto pilot works on all roads that have lane markings. I also don't understand why this would not be standard on any Lucid Air model and not only the high end models.

They are geofenced *for now*. The reason they don’t offer it everywhere yet is because it takes time to map them. As for other features, it takes time to write software.

You may disagree with the decision to not offer it on lower end models but they have been quite clear that Highway Assist wasn’t offered on lower end models, without DD Pro. The reason for this is because unlike Tesla, DD Pro requires LiDAR and other sensors / cameras in the vehicle which costs actual money, and there is a significant hardware cost and difference, which is again different from Tesla.

They are different cars with different features and hardware configurations. That’s all.

They are geofenced *for now*. The reason they don’t offer it everywhere yet is because it takes time to map them. As for other features, it takes time to write software.

You may disagree with the decision to not offer it on lower end models but they have been quite clear that Highway Assist wasn’t offered on lower end models, without DD Pro. The reason for this is because unlike Tesla, DD Pro requires LiDAR and other sensors / cameras in the vehicle which costs actual money, and there is a significant hardware cost and difference, which is again different from Tesla.

They are different cars with different features and hardware configurations. That’s all.
How does Hundai do it on a $30k car and Lucid can't do it on a $90k car. This is a poor decision and will cost Lucid lots of lost orders.

How does Hundai do it on a $30k car and Lucid can't do it on a $90k car. This is a poor decision and will cost Lucid lots of lost orders.
What difference does the price of the car make?

It’s not like Lucid can call up Hyundai and say “Hey, can I just have the last decade’s worth of your intellectual property?” They have to write it themselves. From scratch. Just like everyone else has been doing for the last several years. Only they just started a year ago.

This is not a “decision.” It’s reality.

Back