Highway assist - no icons vehicles in other lanes

unHookt

Verified Owner
I have an Air GT with Dream Drive Pro. In YouTube vids and marketing materials, the car displays icons representing vehicles in other lanes when Highway Assist is active - like Teslas do. On my car, I only see an icon representing the vehicle directly in front of me in the same lane. Do others have the same experience?

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_163530728~2.jpg
    PXL_20231007_163530728~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
I have an Air GT with Dream Drive Pro. In YouTube vids and marketing materials, the car displays icons representing vehicles in other lanes when Highway Assist is active - like Teslas do. On my car, I only see an icon representing the vehicle directly in front of me in the same lane. Do others have the same experience?
Yes, that's all that's available right now. Future Dream Drive updates (Traffic Jam Assist, Highway Pilot) will hopefully have that feature, among others.

Thanks! With everything being software-determined and the branding being ambiguous, I was worried I might be missing features

Tesla started off with an icon that didn't look like a car, despite having a mock up in marketing materials that showed cars in front and surrounding. Then they switched to showing car(s) ahead and in the adjacent lanes. When the next generation of Autopilot came out, adjacent lane traffic went away and didn't come back until around 2018. Over time, they added it back and a lot more. The original was awkward and was needed because the ACC wasn't reliable enough to assume anything. When I was used to adjacent traffic and it went away, it didn't feel like a big miss. What's far more important in real use are camera views and blind spot detection. Tesla's blind spot detection essentially is that display. They did eventually add side camera view, which shows up on the center screen in the Model 3. And it wasn't there originally, and I had to swap cameras for it to be usable at night when turn signals were on.

The bottom line is that blind spot indications and cameras are far, far more useful. The rest will be useful for automated lane changes, but until then, won't have any real world advantages, short of giving you an idea that the cameras are doing what they should.

On the Navigation Learning Series video, there is no imagery of cars on adjacent lanes. 🤷‍♂️

These videos are usually produced by third party animation houses. And they usually make up “fake” assets from refiners, rather than using anything from the official software.

These videos are usually produced by third party animation houses. And they usually make up “fake” assets from refiners, rather than using anything from the official software.
This was not a Lucid sanctioned video?

This could easily be an old video that Lucid just recently re-posted.

This was not a Lucid sanctioned video?
I have no idea of Lucid produced this internally or not. But most companies do not produce videos like this themselves. They hire firms who specialize in visualizations like this. And those firms ask for assets, but they are usually provided by designers, not the software team.

So what you are looking at in these videos are probably cribbed from old Figma documents, superimposed via AfterEffects or some other animation software.

It’s not like they are actually running the real Lucid software on an actual screen and filming it, in other words.

If you go to a site like Apple.com and look at all the imagery, none of that is actually photos of real computers running real software. That’s 100% 3D models with Photoshopped UI.

Apple does their own, of course. But most companies hire this stuff out, because they only need such services occasionally.

I hope you're right, but I'll note: View attachment 17902
They were "simulated," but they were actual images on a screen, and that will be the case in production. Those will also be simulated since they won't be actual pictures of the lanes. Demonstrating the production software, or the software in a development phase requires a simulated video in order to have the icons in the right places at the right time, the right messages popping up when needed, etc. So it would be simulated images even if the software is ready, and that would be the case at an early design stage. Nothing meaningful can be read into the message except that they aren't pictures of actual cars, there was no inattentive driver, tired driver, etc.

There's also the matter of how helpful they are. In a Tesla, they are quite helpful. In a Lucid, there are intelligently placed side view camera displays, blind spot indicators, and a lot less reason to need the display. I'd welcome it being there but I'm not in a rush.

They were "simulated," but they were actual images on a screen, and that will be the case in production. Those will also be simulated since they won't be actual pictures of the lanes. Demonstrating the production software, or the software in a development phase requires a simulated video in order to have the icons in the right places at the right time, the right messages popping up when needed, etc. So it would be simulated images even if the software is ready, and that would be the case at an early design stage. Nothing meaningful can be read into the message except that they aren't pictures of actual cars, there was no inattentive driver, tired driver, etc.

There's also the matter of how helpful they are. In a Tesla, they are quite helpful. In a Lucid, there are intelligently placed side view camera displays, blind spot indicators, and a lot less reason to need the display. I'd welcome it being there but I'm not in a rush.
Actually, they weren’t “actual images on a screen.” As @joec mentions, they were simply design assets.

My bet is this is simply them reposting an old video.

They were on a screen. I saw them on a screen. I'm looking at a screen now.
Haha, fair enough, and I see the confusion. What we mean is they are not video of the actual software running on an actual screen; they are mockups. A designer drew some things in a video editor and design tool, and it is displayed on *your* screen. But they’re just pictures, with no functionality behind them.

Haha, fair enough, and I see the confusion. What we mean is they are not video of the actual software running on an actual screen; they are mockups. A designer drew some things in a video editor and design tool, and it is displayed on *your* screen. But they’re just pictures, with no functionality behind them.
Possibly. Or somebody used the software for the system itself to simulate the screen, which would be easy enough to do if it's close to ready or even partway there. A developer isn't going to rely on live cameras either so there's going to be a simulation to see if the software can render the cars correctly. So there's no way to know whether it's a mock up that was made as a guideline for developers or anything at any later stage. The point is that no matter what, it's going to be a simulation, unless they want a video with a steering wheel in the way that was made by somebody driving around, which would have been an unprofessional way of doing things. So there's nothing to read into it.

Possibly. Or somebody used the software for the system itself to simulate the screen, which would be easy enough to do if it's close to ready or even partway there. A developer isn't going to rely on live cameras either so there's going to be a simulation to see if the software can render the cars correctly. So there's no way to know whether it's a mock up that was made as a guideline for developers or anything at any later stage. The point is that no matter what, it's going to be a simulation, unless they want a video with a steering wheel in the way that was made by somebody driving around, which would have been an unprofessional way of doing things. So there's nothing to read into it.
That’s just not how videos like these are done.

Just as the pictures you see of hamburgers from MacDonalds are not actually the food you get when you go to MacDonalds.

I have no idea of Lucid produced this internally or not. But most companies do not produce videos like this themselves. They hire firms who specialize in visualizations like this. And those firms ask for assets, but they are usually provided by designers, not the software team.

So what you are looking at in these videos are probably cribbed from old Figma documents, superimposed via AfterEffects or some other animation software.

It’s not like they are actually running the real Lucid software on an actual screen and filming it, in other words.
Got it, not getting excited then.

Back