Lane Keeping/Centering

How does Hundai do it on a $30k car and Lucid can't do it on a $90k car. This is a poor decision and will cost Lucid lots of lost orders.
Why is it that Lucid isn't allowed to do this, but Porsche and MB are allowed to nickel and dime you and it's a pass? There's a reason a Hyundai is a Hyundai. The cars aren't even comparable in driving, feel or design.

How does Hundai do it on a $30k car and Lucid can't do it on a $90k car. This is a poor decision and will cost Lucid lots of lost orders.
Because Hyundai has been shipping cars for a lot longer than a year. Also, the Lucid offers a dozen things the Hyundai doesn’t. They are different cars.

Because Hyundai has been shipping cars for a lot longer than a year. Also, the Lucid offers a dozen things the Hyundai doesn’t. They are different cars.
Hyundai, Ford, GM, Mercedes, BMW etc. sell a lot of cars and can spread R&D across more models. They also probably get better prices on parts.

I understand the sentiment in the first sentence. I hope that Lucid figures out how to provide HA on DD equipped cars but that might be the start of subscription services. That certainly seems to be the way companies are going with advanced features. Right now, it's what @joec wrote.

One of my life’s goals is to become wealthy enough where I could also buy a $150k car and not be bothered to do even 20 minutes worth of research on it. “Hey that car looks cool, sweet color….click”.

What difference does the price of the car make?

It’s not like Lucid can call up Hyundai and say “Hey, can I just have the last decade’s worth of your intellectual property?” They have to write it themselves. From scratch. Just like everyone else has been doing for the last several years. Only they just started a year ago.

This is not a “decision.” It’s reality.
The difference in price comparison is to show the hardware needed to perform these functions is not that expensive and there is no reason to not offer the hardware in any car costing $90k or more when cars costing $30k offer it.

One of my life’s goals is to become wealthy enough where I could also buy a $150k car and not be bothered to do even 20 minutes worth of research on it. “Hey that car looks cool, sweet color….click”.
Took 20+ years of hard work and building my own business to give me the ability to buy what I want.

The difference in price comparison is to show the hardware needed to perform these functions is not that expensive and there is no reason to not offer the hardware in any car costing $90k or more when cars costing $30k offer it.
They have different takes on it - Lucid is using their technology and focusing on supplementing with LiDAR, and Hyundai isn’t. They are different goals.

Clearly, Lucid thinks there’s a reason not to offer it on the lower trims, largely because the cost of LiDAR and the other additional hardware is significant.

Maybe one day they will be comfortable with it on lower trims with less hardware, but today isn’t that day.

They have different takes on it - Lucid is using their technology and focusing on supplementing with LiDAR, and Hyundai isn’t. They are different goals.

Clearly, Lucid thinks there’s a reason not to offer it on the lower trims, largely because the cost of LiDAR and the other additional hardware is significant.

Maybe one day they will be comfortable with it on lower trims with less hardware, but today isn’t that day.
All the Lidar sensor does it detect the distance to the vehicle or obstruction in front of the vehicle and the speed if the object is moving. The Lidar hardware has nothing to do with the lane centering which is done by cameras on the vehicle.

All the Lidar sensor does it detect the distance to the vehicle or obstruction in front of the vehicle and the speed if the object is moving. The Lidar hardware has nothing to do with the lane centering which is done by cameras on the vehicle.
I’m familiar with what LiDAR does and understand it in great detail, thanks. My point was that the DDPro package comes with LiDAR and other additional hardware (sensors, cameras).

You disagree that those should be part of the DDPro package and/or believe that Lucid should be able to provide Highway Assist with fewer sensors. I respect your opinion.

Lucid does not agree with you, at least for now. I will say, from my experience, that Lucid’s HA has been bounds better than nearly any ADAS system I’ve used. Hyundai has industry-leading ADAS, and I agree with you there; Lucid’s ADAS is, in my experience, just as good if not better, and it is miles better than nearly any other brand I’ve driven.

But again, all of that is irrelevant; Lucid, at present, requires the additional hardware for HA. You’re not going to convince them to offer it on the lower trims, certainly not here. One day, they may, and I personally hope they do. But until then, this is the state of things.

It is extremely easy to play armchair engineer and say things like “it’s not that expensive and it’s not that hard” when you’re not the one building it. I’ve seen similar comments about software here, and it is nonsense; “Lucid should just copy Tesla’s software” is a useless statement, as that is not how engineering works and Tesla’s software is not open source.

Building great software takes time. For now, Lucid requires the additional hardware for their software to work well. The end.

In pretty certain that there hasn't been an indication that lane centering would be available on normal roads. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
The latest owner’s manual talks about “Traffic Jam Assist,” which centers vehicle on road and uses front vehicle, if lines are not visible. It’s limited to speeds of 44mph. Sounds like that would be on normal roads, but it’s not clear in the manual.

The latest owner’s manual talks about “Traffic Jam Assist,” which centers vehicle on road and uses front vehicle, if lines are not visible. It’s limited to speeds of 44mph. Sounds like that would like on normal roads, but it’s not clear in the manual.
That was my take, too.

But I hope that doesn't translate to someone a year from now exclaiming that Lucid "promised" Traffic Jam Assist would work on regular roads.

I’m familiar with what LiDAR does and understand it in great detail, thanks. My point was that the DDPro package comes with LiDAR and other additional hardware (sensors, cameras).

You disagree that those should be part of the DDPro package and/or believe that Lucid should be able to provide Highway Assist with fewer sensors. I respect your opinion.

Lucid does not agree with you, at least for now. I will say, from my experience, that Lucid’s HA has been bounds better than nearly any ADAS system I’ve used. Hyundai has industry-leading ADAS, and I agree with you there; Lucid’s ADAS is, in my experience, just as good if not better, and it is miles better than nearly any other brand I’ve driven.

But again, all of that is irrelevant; Lucid, at present, requires the additional hardware for HA. You’re not going to convince them to offer it on the lower trims, certainly not here. One day, they may, and I personally hope they do. But until then, this is the state of things.

It is extremely easy to play armchair engineer and say things like “it’s not that expensive and it’s not that hard” when you’re not the one building it. I’ve seen similar comments about software here, and it is nonsense; “Lucid should just copy Tesla’s software” is a useless statement, as that is not how engineering works and Tesla’s software is not open source.

Building great software takes time. For now, Lucid requires the additional hardware for their software to work well. The end.

I agree. IMO one needs to look at the entire package and decide if (a) it is what you want/need; and (b) at a price you want/are willing to pay. Locking in on particular features is not a useful endeavor (unless that feature for you is a make or break item).

My take on this thread, 5 months later (I was doing some research for another thread?
I think you guys were a little snarky to @tmilone103 o_O
I get his frustration but with each snarky reply he became understandably more frustrated. They're coming here for answers... my suggestion, "when they go low we go high" approach! 😇

So my son's Hyundai Elantra offers more features at 1/5 of the price? His vehicle offers Lane Following Assist (LFA) on all marked roads where my AGT can only offer any steering assist on Geofencenced highways. That is really a shame.
agree, i would think this was well addressed before release and especially after multiple years after vehicle was release. Again, im spoilt using my Tesla Model S and Model Y's andmaybe i shold have read between lines on the highway assist and lane keep before purchasing

Back