Just got your Air? Common questions answered!

Battery health / longevity:

best between 40% - 80% or just over half full ( set to "Daily" )
best temps same as humans
park in shade when hot
plug in when below 50 degrees F or over 100 degrees F
when leaving idle for longer periods: keep charge near middle % SOC ... set "Daily" to lowest range and plug in if possible
use DC fast charging when on trips ... low and slow charging (at home) is best.
for fastest charging on trips using 150 / 350 Kw : set upper limit lower will give fastest fill-up. Going to 80% or higher takes much longer.

Treat Luci like a human: nice comfortable temps. don't starve; don't stuff. take the middle road.

Last edited:
If you leave a passenger in the car without a key will the alarm sound if they move around?

Does anyone else miss an intermittent wiper setting? I find the auto wipers just don't react quickly enough - even the high setting let’s water build up on the screen, but there’s only two manual settings.

Also, I know it’s been said elsewhere, but just give me a basic key with multiple buttons. It never works first time so I’m always checking the stupid dots on the back to make sure I’m doing it right. I can’t believe that on such an amazing car they trip up on the basics by trying to reinvent them. My wife hasn’t driven it yet because I’m afraid she will get locked out and never want to use it again. Such a ridiculous concern to have about a car!

Does anyone else miss an intermittent wiper setting? I find the auto wipers just don't react quickly enough - even the high setting let’s water build up on the screen, but there’s only two manual settings.

Also, I know it’s been said elsewhere, but just give me a basic key with multiple buttons. It never works first time so I’m always checking the stupid dots on the back to make sure I’m doing it right. I can’t believe that on such an amazing car they trip up on the basics by trying to reinvent them. My wife hasn’t driven it yet because I’m afraid she will get locked out and never want to use it again. Such a ridiculous concern to have about a car!

Um. Press once or press twice. Get it wrong the first time, try the other.

The fob is certainly not my favorite part of the design of the car. But complicated to the point where you are afraid you will not be able to get into the car because you forgot whether to click once or twice?

If she uses the fob, it'll open via proximity or just push the handle in and the car unlocks.

If she uses the fob, it'll open via proximity or just push the handle in and the car unlocks.
That works maybe four out of five times. I’ve only had the car a week and I’ve already been stuck outside multiple times, trying the key fob, pressing the handle, trying the app, I even tried the valet card. First world problems, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have working door locks

That works maybe four out of five times. I’ve only had the car a week and I’ve already been stuck outside multiple times, trying the key fob, pressing the handle, trying the app, I even tried the valet card. First world problems, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have working door locks
Never ever had that issue, personally. But I wonder if your fob batteries are low? Many people have run down their fob batteries by leaving the fobs in range of the car such that the fob chats with the car all night. (RFID blocking Faraday pouch solution). And do you have a mobile key set up for your phone? Many people just store their fob in a Faraday box, using their phone daily with the NFC card in an RFID-blocking wallet as backup.
For many, by the way, their problem is the opposite, that the car is unlocking when they don't want it to.

The fob is certainly not my favorite part of the design of the car. But complicated to the point where you are afraid you will not be able to get into the car because you forgot whether to click once or twice?
The best way to remember is relate it to a folder on your computer. You double click to open it and you single click to close it.

The fob w/dead battery/no battery will open the car just like the valet card (wallet card). hold it below the B pillar camera (or above, I"ve seen both), press in the door handle AND HOLD IT IN until it unlatches. If your phone app is not showing the car outline with the openings (lock/unlock) icons

maybe you need to go through your paring and initializing again and make sure "key detection" is enabled ?
(see p. 10 of paper owner's manual: Keyless Entry System )

Had the car six months and still can't remember how the fob works. Stood at the trunk waiting for the fob to open it in front of the UPS store. Lady waiting across the way watched me open the funk 5 times whilst I was standing at the trunk holding the fob. Then she'd watch me go around, close the funk, go back to the rear of the car, and do the same thing again. Five times. Finally I went in the car and did it from the pilot panel. I'm about ready to ditch the fob in preference to the phone, now that I think I understand how it works.
So, I think, although it is a closely held secret at Lucid (no mention in printed or virtual owner's manual) that if the app is not on your phone screen you may go near your car without it throwing a fit? This is the most annoying thing about the fob: how many times it will flash you and flapp you before you can get your shoes and coat on and gather your stuff in the minutes you enter the garage and ready to open the car door. If I understand it correctly, the phone app does not do this until you actually open it. Borski had me convinced I had to remove the Lucid app and Bluetooth from my phone to prevent it from flashing/flapping the car when I had my phone with me as was near the car. Seem like all one need do is "swipe" the Lucid app from the screen. (I just got a smart phone - do not know how they work) I just learned this -- thought it was as annoying as the key fob, but maybe not. If this proves true, I will begin leaving the fob at home.

Last edited:
Yes very much. There are two kinds of rain where the designers live: way too much and none. They don't know what "misting" is.
Been misting here last few days. The low auto setting does nothing, so I hit the manual low button which requires me, every time, to take my eyes off the road to search for it (unlike manual switch muscle memory). That works but ... I found another way:

... since we don't have intermittent wiper option I found you can press the button at the end of the left stalk and get a swipe:

this has the advantage that you don't have to take your eyes off the road just so you can see the road at all

Had the car six months and still can't remember how the fob works. Stood at the trunk waiting for the fob to open it in front of the UPS store. Lady waiting across the way watched me open the funk 5 times whilst I was standing at the trunk holding the fob. Then she'd watch me go around, close the funk, go back to the rear of the car, and do the same thing again. Five times. Finally I went in the car and did it from the pilot panel. I'm about ready to ditch the fob in preference to the phone, now that I think I understand how it works.
So, I think, although it is a closely held secret at Lucid (no mention in printed or virtual owner's manual) that if the app is not on your phone screen you may go near your car without it throwing a fit? This is the most annoying thing about the fob: how many times it will flash you and flapp you before you can get your shoes and coat on and gather your stuff in the minutes you enter the garage and ready to open the car door. If I understand it correctly, the phone app does not do this until you actually open it. Borski had me convinced I had to remove the Lucid app and Bluetooth from my phone to prevent it from flashing/flapping the car when I had my phone with me as was near the car. Seem like all one need do is "swipe" the Lucid app from the screen. (I just got a smart phone - do not know how they work) I just learned this -- thought it was as annoying as the key fob, but maybe not. If this proves true, I will begin leaving the fob at home.
IIRC a tiny quick reference to the fob functions is embossed on the fob itself.

I ditched the fob for phone and carry the key card in my wallet as backup. Though the app causes my car to go into the same proximity based hysterics as the fob regardless of whether it’s open, at least now I can’t discover that I left the fob in my office after walking inside the parking garage.

IIRC a tiny quick reference to the fob functions is embossed on the fob itself.
Though the app causes my car to go into the same proximity based hysterics as the fob regardless of whether it’s open,
Does it really ? I thought it only does this when the app is "open" and on display on the phone? No? Dammit. So you have to turn the app off / disable Bluetooth just to have the phone with you when you are working in the garage? In that case I want a KEYLESS car with no locks no codes no recognition software. AND A HUGE DR. FRANKENSTEIN KNIFE SWITCH TO TURN EVERYTHING OFF!
iu

Does it really ? I thought it only does this when the app is "open" and on display on the phone? No? Dammit. So you have to turn the app off / disable Bluetooth just to have the phone with you when you are working in the garage? In that case I want a KEYLESS car with no locks no codes no recognition software. AND A HUGE DR. FRANKENSTEIN KNIFE SWITCH TO TURN EVERYTHING OFF!
I either turn off Bluetooth on my phone, or just deal with the door handle dance :p Key fobs live in a metal box.

If you lock your car with the fob (single click) twice, you’ll hear a honk, and it will stop proximity unlocking for like 10-15 minutes or so.

Never ever had that issue, personally. But I wonder if your fob batteries are low? Many people have run down their fob batteries by leaving the fobs in range of the car such that the fob chats with the car all night. (RFID blocking Faraday pouch solution). And do you have a mobile key set up for your phone? Many people just store their fob in a Faraday box, using their phone daily with the NFC card in an RFID-blocking wallet as backup.
For many, by the way, their problem is the opposite, that the car is unlocking when they don't want it to.
But I guess the question is what’s different about the Lucid that causes this? I’m on my 4th EV (MS, i-Pace, e-Tron and i4) and never had an issue with dead fob batteries, regardless of where I had the fob.

But I guess the question is what’s different about the Lucid that causes this? I’m on my 4th EV (MS, i-Pace, e-Tron and i4) and never had an issue with dead fob batteries, regardless of where I had the fob.
Most fobs use RF, not BLE. Lucid made the choice to use low energy Bluetooth, and I’m not yet convinced it was the right technical choice :) (I was skeptical to begin with; it works pretty well for me now, but is still inconsistent. The mobile key, surprisingly, is pretty bang-on and I stopped carrying the fob as a result; the few times the handles don’t present for the mobile key I just push them in and we’re good to go)

Most fobs use RF, not BLE. Lucid made the choice to use low energy Bluetooth, and I’m not yet convinced it was the right technical choice :) (I was skeptical to begin with; it works pretty well for me now, but is still inconsistent. The mobile key, surprisingly, is pretty bang-on and I stopped carrying the fob as a result; the few times the handles don’t present for the mobile key I just push them in and we’re good to go)
Unless you use a Samsung S22 (or later, perhaps others too) with Android 12 (or later, perhaps others too)... then the phone app only unlocks the car if you open the app (it will not work in the background). This is a known (but not solved) problem.

I wish that they had used UWB (Ultra Wide Band) BT such that they could delay unlock until you were 2-3 feet from the door, and avoid powering the car up to drive mode unless you were at the driver's door (etc). I don't know if UWB BT can be done with the existing hardware or not.

Back