• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

Is there a reason other than the noise to order a rwd pure over the dual motor other than the motor sounds? Isn’t the price the same and you get significantly more power with the dual motor?
They have dropped the AWD Pure for 2024. The pricing for the remaining AWD Pure inventory was changed in order to clear it out.

I find the most bothersome aspect of it is that within the range of it rising and falling in 'whine' it hits a spot where it sounds like the siren on an emergency vehicle. When I first got the Lucid that had be constantly looking around to avoid impeding a first responder. Then I gradually got used to it, but there are still times when it drops the Tidal stream and there are no competing sounds that I fall for the faux-siren again...

Has anyone driven both the RWD Pure and an AWD Pure or AWD Touring to compare? I have a Touring and when accelerating, I really like the AWD because it makes the acceleration more controlled. Is that the same with the RWD Pure?

I find the most bothersome aspect of it is that within the range of it rising and falling in 'whine' it hits a spot where it sounds like the siren on an emergency vehicle. When I first got the Lucid that had be constantly looking around to avoid impeding a first responder. Then I gradually got used to it, but there are still times when it drops the Tidal stream and there are no competing sounds that I fall for the faux-siren again...
🎯

I have AWD Pure... First few days noticed whine... Once or twice mistook it for distant siren... I have not noticed it much since those initial days with car... I now feel lucky to have Pure with AWD. No issue with whine to change my mind...

Has anyone driven both the RWD Pure and an AWD Pure or AWD Touring to compare? I have a Touring and when accelerating, I really like the AWD because it makes the acceleration more controlled. Is that the same with the RWD Pure?
I don't believe there were any Pure RWD deliveries yet. From what I saw online only journalists got to test them so far.

I have AWD Pure... First few days noticed whine... Once or twice mistook it for distant siren... I have not noticed it much since those initial days with car... I now feel lucky to have Pure with AWD. No issue with whine to change my mind...

Rivian also stopped quad motor for R1S, only early adopters and reservationists got quad motors. Startups have to do what they can to reach to that land of profitability.

Rivian also stopped quad motor for R1S, only early adopters and reservationists got quad motors. Startups have to do what they can to reach to that land of profitability.
Yes. Now they are going to focus more heavily on the Pure RWD and simplify production runs. With price cuts, a Pure with AWD and full options ends up being a bit closer to Touring spec, and there was unneeded overlap too. Simplifies their model offerings

They have dropped the AWD Pure for 2024. The pricing for the remaining AWD Pure inventory was changed in order to clear it out.
Right so I’m just wondering why you would choose the slower model when the more expensive one is being discounted to match? It feels akin to paying for a BMW M3 and then taking delivery of a 340 instead

I’ve driven touring and pure AWD back to back and the pure is no slouch. Feels almost as fast as the touring.

Right so I’m just wondering why you would choose the slower model when the more expensive one is being discounted to match? It feels akin to paying for a BMW M3 and then taking delivery of a 340 instead

While supply lasts….

I would agree. And those AWD Pures probably won't last long.

Some people do honestly prefer RWD, though. Just the feel of it. I was an Audi guy back in the ICE age, so I very much grew accustomed to AWD. I woudn't want any car without it.

I also live in a place with tons of snow in winter.

I like RWD...but only in the case that you're getting the same power. RWD cars are lighter, and you have more precise steering up front since the tires don't have to deal with traction issues from acceleration. But in most EVs including Lucid, you sacrifice a lot of power by going RWD. And to boot, in this case you're not saving any money either.

Maybe if you're dead set on wanting a Pure with massage seats, a 2024 RWD is your only option...so i guess i can understand that.

I like RWD...but only in the case that you're getting the same power. RWD cars are lighter, and you have more precise steering up front since the tires don't have to deal with traction issues from acceleration. But in most EVs including Lucid, you sacrifice a lot of power by going RWD. And to boot, in this case you're not saving any money either.

Maybe if you're dead set on wanting a Pure with massage seats, a 2024 RWD is your only option...so i guess i can understand that.
I can definitely understand that. I'm convinced whenever it is I trade in my current Touring for a new one, it'll be the massage seats that put me over the top on the decision.

I’ve driven touring and pure AWD back to back and the pure is no slouch. Feels almost as fast as the touring.
I think it is .4 of second difference on AWD Pure vs Touring.... Meanwhile, the RWD is still plenty quick. Faster than my last two gas burning sports sedans.

I think it is .4 of second difference on AWD Pure vs Touring.... Meanwhile, the RWD is still plenty quick. Faster than my last two gas burning sports sedans.

According to car and driver and motortrend, Lucid Air Touring and Grand Touring have the same 0-60 of 3.0, and they tested the Pure AWD at 3.4. So they're very much underrated! The RWD is rated at 4.5 so that's significantly slower. Hopefully it's also underrated and maybe comes in at 4.1 or so when tested, but that's still going to be noticeably slower.

Is there a reason other than the noise to order a rwd pure over the dual motor other than the motor sounds? Isn’t the price the same and you get significantly more power with the dual motor?
For sure the value is with the inventory AWD Pures but on the RWD Pures there are some features available that were not available with the AWD model. For example, I can choose the 20 way massage and ventilated seats and soft close doors (comfort and convenience package). The ventilated seats are important to me, and soft close doors are a nice plus although not essential.

The rep who took me on the test drive said the suspension will be changing on the Pure RWD next year. I forget the exact change, but it will be a slight downgrade. Suspension is very important to me so I'd like to get the Pure before that change is made. I doubt that Lucid will offer two suspensions so I am getting one while it has the same suspension as the higher end trims.

Going back to value, the discounts I will be getting are referral code ($750) and one for being a Tesla owner ($2000). I didnt know about the second discount until my test drive. I will be purchasing unless Lucid decides to give that 18 month lease offer that is currently available on the higher trims.

I am also hoping that there might be some new incentives to sweeten the deal a bit. I can always back out since it's a refundable deposit and I decide it might be better to wait a few months.

For sure the value is with the inventory AWD Pures but on the RWD Pures there are some features available that were not available with the AWD model. For example, I can choose the 20 way massage and ventilated seats and soft close doors (comfort and convenience package). The ventilated seats are important to me, and soft close doors are a nice plus although not essential.

The rep who took me on the test drive said the suspension will be changing on the Pure RWD next year. I forget the exact change, but it will be a slight downgrade. Suspension is very important to me so I'd like to get the Pure before that change is made. I doubt that Lucid will offer two suspensions so I am getting one while it has the same suspension as the higher end trims.

Going back to value, the discounts I will be getting are referral code ($750) and one for being a Tesla owner ($2000). I didnt know about the second discount until my test drive. I will be purchasing unless Lucid decides to give that 18 month lease offer that is currently available on the higher trims.

I am also hoping that there might be some new incentives to sweeten the deal a bit. I can always back out since it's a refundable deposit and I decide it might be better to wait a few months.
I know that front suspension will definitely change. Especially front strut. Since there is no axle there is no need for C shape strut to go around it. As far as downgrade to suspension maybe they will discontinue adaptive dampers in RWD version?

Back