Is it normal to have an open gap below the taillight assembly?

MorganB

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Touring Silver Santa Cruz
Referral Code
93UMQZHW
When my trunk was closing today I noticed that I can see inside my trunk to the space behind the taillight because there is maybe a 1/4 inch gap that is just open, no gasket or anything. I can look inside and see the wiring for the taillights. It seems that water would go right inside. Its hard to capture in a photo but this should give you an idea of what I am talking about (forgive the dirty taillight, it rained yesterday) :

IMG_0616.jpeg

When my trunk was closing today I noticed that I can see inside my trunk to the space behind the taillight because there is maybe a 1/4 inch gap that is just open, no gasket or anything. I can look inside and see the wiring for the taillights. It seems that water would go right inside. Its hard to capture in a photo but this should give you an idea of what I am talking about (forgive the dirty taillight, it rained yesterday) :

View attachment 8381
Don’t know but there are many such places around the trunk where it feels you can see inside the trunk or see daylight. I would report it to Customer Service. I am not sure they will cover it under warranty If the light dies out due to a water leak.
It will be interesting to see how the seals on the roof will behave the one between the two panels seems pretty thin but maybe there is another layer underneath.

I am not sure they will cover it under warranty If the light dies out due to a water leak.
I can pretty much guarantee a water leak causing the lights to die would be covered under warranty, as that would be a defect.
It will be interesting to see how the seals on the roof will behave the one between the two panels seems pretty thin but maybe there is another layer underneath.
There are multiple layers.

View attachment 8381
I have that gap too, makes it a PITA when I clean the car, but it looks normal to me. I've also sprayed that part with a hose plenty of time and haven't had any water leaking into my trunk or lights.

Back