iPhone MagSafe mount to replace OEM charging pad.

Hello I am a high school student and has designed the model in the pictures below. This is for phones that may on fit in the slots already in the car. They fit right in and you put a charging puck in the middle(linked below)

https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw)
Well done! Two questions:

1) does the cover still close over, say, an iPhone 13 Pro or similar?

2) can you post the STL file or how would we otherwise get you to print us one? :)

Great designs everyone. Now can someone tackle replacing the miniscule cup holders with regular sized cupholders 😄
Maybe you should work on replacing your oversized cups with normal ones 🤣

Maybe you should work on replacing your oversized cups with normal ones 🤣
Sorry, but those cupholders are too small - mentioned many places in the forums.

Yes, you can buy small water bottles that will fit, but most coffee cups from places like Starbucks, Dunkin, 7-11, etc don't fit or are
too tight. Try getting a Gatorade or a 12oz Coke bottle in these cupholders.

Good cupholders are an American auto tradition. Took many years for European & Japanese auto makers to realize that good cupholders are essential for the American market. An ergonomic mistake for such a magnificent car.

Sorry, but those cupholders are too small - mentioned many places in the forums.

Yes, you can buy small water bottles that will fit, but most coffee cups from places like Starbucks, Dunkin, 7-11, etc don't fit or are

Good cupholders are an American auto tradition. Took many years for European & Japanese auto makers to realize that good cupholders are essential for the American market. An ergonomic mistake for such a magnificent car.
I think he was pulling your leg a bit there.

Of course you are right. I happen to agree with the European perspective on the cupholder thing, but I know that makes me a weird American. I don't eat or drink in my car, generally. I leave that to restaurants and my own dining room.

It's a luxury car. Big cupholders are just not classy.

A good water bottle is pretty essential for longer trips. But I find the one Lucid gave us with the car works fine in the cupholders. Or better yet, in the map pockets.

I think he was pulling your leg a bit there.

Of course you are right. I happen to agree with the European perspective on the cupholder thing, but I know that makes me a weird American. I don't eat or drink in my car, generally. I leave that to restaurants and my own dining room.

It's a luxury car. Big cupholders are just not classy.

A good water bottle is pretty essential for longer trips. But I find the one Lucid gave us with the car works fine in the cupholders. Or better yet, in the map pockets.
I understand he was pulling my leg. But ...

We have an reservation for a Pure and my wife is somewhat reluctant about getting an electric car. So we rented one in LA and took a 4-day road trip to Las Vegas. She loved the look of the car, it's performance, the seats, etc. But she hated the cupholders - spilled coffee on herself once trying to remove cup from the holder and it was tight and released suddenly.

I know this shouldn't be such a big deal but it is to her and it will be her car. All the other things she didn't like were mostly software related and she understands will be fixed in future releases - Apple Carplay is a big step. Also, the mods suggested for the wireless charging.

The Apple carplay frees up one cupholder which I was using as a phone holder so I could view Waze. Now I can return the phone to its rightful spot!

I understand he was pulling my leg. But ...

We have an reservation for a Pure and my wife is somewhat reluctant about getting an electric car. So we rented one in LA and took a 4-day road trip to Las Vegas. She loved the look of the car, it's performance, the seats, etc. But she hated the cupholders - spilled coffee on herself once trying to remove cup from the holder and it was tight and released suddenly.

I know this shouldn't be such a big deal but it is to her and it will be her car. All the other things she didn't like were mostly software related and she understands will be fixed in future releases - Apple Carplay is a big step. Also, the mods suggested for the wireless charging.
Yea I mean...this has been my solution for over a year now.

20220611_122739.jpg

I have gone through several iterations of improving the useless wireless charging pad for my iPhone 12 ProMax in my GT. With the OEM charging solution, it is difficult to find the exact right spot for the phone, and even when I do so, it charges at only 5W. My previous solutions were working fine, but not as well integrated as I would've liked. Here are my requirements:
1. It is very easy and quick to position the phone.
2. The phone charges at the maximum possible rate without wires (15W).
3. The console cover can close while the phone is in place and charging.
4. It kind of looks like it was supposed to be there (i.e. no big suction or cupholder mounts sticking out).

My solution was to make a wedge shaped piece of 3-D plastic and mount a black iPhone Mag Safe charger (https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw) to it. Everything is put together with double-sided 3M tape and thus reversible. The phone holds on magnetically and road vibrations do not dislodge it.. This design satisfies all of the criteria!

Here's a picture of it for those interested. If anyone wants the G-code to print the little wedge or would like me to print one for them, please let me know. This will work for any iPhone 12 or higher.

View attachment 6456
Hi Bobby
Im interested in the wedge will the Apple MagSafe charger fit?

Hi Bobby
Im interested in the wedge will the Apple MagSafe charger fit?
The whole idea of the wedge is to position the MagSafe charger in a good spot for the phone. If you read all the way back on this thread you will see some pictures. People have proposed several variants; I am sticking with a simple wedge because it allows me to position the MagSafe wherever I want for my phone. Some people may want to position it higher up so they can see the phone better, I positioned mine lower down so I can close the role top while driving. Up to you. After installing the wedge with double-sided tape, do the same for the MagSafe charger and then your phone will stick to it magnetically.

thank you. I was wondering if I could order one

I think he's asking if the Apple-branded charger will fit vs the 3rd party one others are using. I'm not sure the white would look good tho.

I think he's asking if the Apple-branded charger will fit vs the 3rd party one others are using. I'm not sure the white would look good tho.
Any charger will fit, that is one of the reasons I left it as a simple wedge rather than trying to make a cut out for the charger disk.

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_113845446.jpg
    IMG_20230417_113845446.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20230417_113909398.jpg
    IMG_20230417_113909398.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Is it secure in the phone slot or did you stick it in there with tape
The magsafe stand has rubber pad on each side and it also come with 2 extra rubber pads for future use. Having said that, I do image the rubber pad will get worn out in the future as they are fairly thin.

Cup Holder Expander for Car, 2 in 1 Adjustable Car Cup Holder Phone Mount, Auto Cup Holder Extender with Adjustable Base, 360° Rotation Car Cell Phone Holder Compatible with All Smartphone https://a.co/d/6UIP3Dt

Cup Holder Expander for Car, 2 in 1 Adjustable Car Cup Holder Phone Mount, Auto Cup Holder Extender with Adjustable Base, 360° Rotation Car Cell Phone Holder Compatible with All Smartphone https://a.co/d/6UIP3Dt
Is it stable in the cupholder, I tried one and due to the open side of the cupholder it wobbled

Back